Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Jeffsss

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
20X9 square set up clearance concern

I would like to buy stock rear 20X9 rims to run a square set up. I know this has been a common set up for many, but I went ahead and installed the rear wheels on the front to check for clearance. There appeared to be around 1/8-inch clearance between the tire side wall and strut. This seems like very minimal clearance. Have others added hub spacers or should I not worry about it? Any problems with adding lowering springs later?
Jeffsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
The strut clearance is fine at stock camber settings.
However, the 275/40R20 stock rear Pirelli tire and 20x9 wheel *will* lightly rub the frame rail at full steering lock when mounted on the front of the car.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsss View Post
I would like to buy stock rear 20X9 rims to run a square set up. I know this has been a common set up for many, but I went ahead and installed the rear wheels on the front to check for clearance. There appeared to be around 1/8-inch clearance between the tire side wall and strut. This seems like very minimal clearance. Have others added hub spacers or should I not worry about it? Any problems with adding lowering springs later?
I have been running that combo for nearly 2 years.....and even with hard cornering....my car has never rubbed ANYWHERE. not once.

My car is not lowered, but there are plenty of guys that are and do not have any rubbing problem either, even some that autocross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
The strut clearance is fine at stock camber settings.
However, the 275/40R20 stock rear Pirelli tire and 20x9 wheel *will* lightly rub the frame rail at full steering lock when mounted on the front of the car.
Not sure if you are running the square set up on stock 20 x 9's with 275/40's but if you are getting rubbing.....something is slightly amiss.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I have been running that combo for nearly 2 years.....and even with hard cornering....my car has never rubbed ANYWHERE. not once.

My car is not lowered, but there are plenty of guys that are and do not have any rubbing problem either, even some that autocross.

Not sure if you are running the square set up on stock 20 x 9's with 275/40's but if you are getting rubbing.....something is slightly amiss.
Stock 2012 SS that I bought brand new (no accidents), stock 20x9 SS wheels at all four corners, stock Pirelli 275/40r20 tires. I cant feel the tire rub while driving, but if I have the car up in the air, and I have someone turn the steering wheel fully to the right, I can witness the leading edge of the LF tire touch the frame rail.

Is there an adjustable steering stop?

Maybe it only touches at full suspension droop?

-Kent

Last edited by Kent2010; 03-23-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Stock 2012 SS that I bought brand new (no accidents), stock 20x9 SS wheels at all four corners, stock Pirelli 275/40r20 tires. I cant feel the tire rub while driving, but if I have the car up in the air, and I have someone turn the steering wheel fully to the right, I can witness the leading edge of the LF tire touch the frame rail.

-Kent
The car under normal driving conditions rest it's weight on the suspension/ wheels , the geometry change according to the weight
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:

-Kent
you hit the nail on the head there....., as oldfriend mentioned, the geometry changes when you lift the car. I crawled under mine and took pictures of the tire to strut clearance before I did that mod myself to ensure myself there was enough clearance. I happen to have a buddy that has an old style garage with a pit between the center of the car....thus I could see it all just how it sits on the ground and the cars weight on it.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsss View Post
I use 4 stock rear wheels to track on.....i am and have been lowered quite a bit.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Jeffsss

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for the replies. I am sure with tolerance stack up, each car will vary for amount of clearance or rubbing. Has anyone added a 3 to 5-mm hub spacer to eliminate any chance of rubbing?
Jeffsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I'm running a one inch spacer from ADM in the front but I am running 285's on 20x9 on all four corners. I run AutoX with this setup and no rubbing. This is a temporary solution. On my wife's car we are running 275's on 20x9 with no rubbing as other have stated. Her car is lowered 1.5" and runs it every month at AutoX
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
I run a factory 20 x 9 square setup with Nitto Invo 275-40-20's, which, are just slightly narrower than the Pirelli. I am lowered 1" with no rubbing and I like the look and handling with my Pfadt ZL spec bars set to middle/middle.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote