Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Hopper
Chevy Lifer

Drives: '13 Caddy ATS, '10 2SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
They could also just fix your car under their insurance, give it back to you and tell you to get bent. It sounds like they are TRYING to come to a solution but you are not willing to work with them.

They are trying to minimize their losses, which you cannot blame them for but be very careful here - if the car is not a total loss their only OBLIGATION is to fix it, not replace it.

They can't turn back time and make the accident go away and they are not going to pay off your loan and let you walk away. You need to find some middle ground that will work for you both.
This is exactly right. In some states, you are entitled to diminished value if they repair it, and in some you are not. In any event, regardless of who is at fault, you are responsible for your loan balance which looks like it had a lot financed in it with the Camaro. Possibly negative equity or other add-ons, none of which is the dealer's responsibility. Asking them to payoff your loan and let you walk away amounts to a windfall in your favor and it's completely unreasonable for you to ask them to do that. If you disagree, go to court and you will find this out and pay handsomely for it in legal fees.

Most people in this thread are exactly right. Work with the dealer on this. You are both in a bad situation. That's life. Find some middle ground that works for both of you and put this behind you. The fact that you didn't intend to trade your vehicle is immaterial. You have two options...#1 Have them repair your vehicle and maybe get diminished value, maybe not. #2 Get a new vehicle, value your trade a fair market value (not including a deduction for the damage they caused) and roll any remaining loan balance into a new loan which you are responsible for either way. Good luck to you...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Pictures ?
THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownlovaboy View Post
they dont even know where my camaro is. they keep saying at some other place. they didnt even let me get my things out of it yet.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
First, I wouldn't want it back either since it is so new. Are they offering trade in on a non wrecked car or on the current condition? If current wrecked condition then 4.5k extra from GM isn't even close enough to help. If they're basing it on excellent kbb condition then I would be driving another Camaro but I wouldn't touch their first few offers.

Good luck.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
OP is bent out of shape because his car is under water and he wants GM to re-float it.

When you finance a car for 6 years, they wind up under water. Period end.
CamaroWinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
IMO they should pay off your old loan and give you a new car at the same loan terms and exactly where you left off.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
in that case i should get diminished value money which will offset the negative. it would make sense for the dealer to just pay off the balance instead of doing that. Because trade in is 38k plus 4500 GM is giving them. Then the dealer would only eat 3k and call it even.

Sounds like you are just trying to find a way to get out of the payments on a car you could not afford in the first place. I don't like dealers, but it sound like you are trying to work an angle to take advantage of an accident.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
htownlovaboy

Drives: 2011 yellow camaro ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Sounds like you are just trying to find a way to get out of the payments on a car you could not afford in the first place. I don't like dealers, but it sound like you are trying to work an angle to take advantage of an accident.
i can afford the car. thats not the issue. the issue that im running into is why should i be on the hook for the negative on this vehicle since i didnt want to trade it in. i didnt take it to the dealer to trade it in. Who in here would want to keep a car thats been hit by someone other than yourself. i would understand if i hit it. i can live with that. I took the car in for recall on the top not to trade it in. The dealer has insurance on their vehicles, so they should claim it on themselves for their fk up.

The deal on the tahoe is an awesome deal. dont get me wrong on that. i would take that deal only if i see that they dont add any negative equity from the camaro.
htownlovaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #36
bowen2012

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Take a new car and be happy, shit happens
bowen2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #37
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Yeah don't blame GM for the dealers screw up. GM doesn't own them and they make the best cars in the world. Dealers are independently owned and have their own insurance for this type of thing. It sounds like they might be trying to save their butts a little. Just keep up the pressure.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
i can afford the car. thats not the issue. the issue that im running into is why should i be on the hook for the negative on this vehicle since i didnt want to trade it in. i didnt take it to the dealer to trade it in. Who in here would want to keep a car thats been hit by someone other than yourself. i would understand if i hit it. i can live with that. I took the car in for recall on the top not to trade it in. The dealer has insurance on their vehicles, so they should claim it on themselves for their fk up.

The deal on the tahoe is an awesome deal. dont get me wrong on that. i would take that deal only if i see that they dont add any negative equity from the camaro.
Exactly my earlier point. They DO have insurance that will fix your car to its pre-accident condition. They are under NO obligation what so ever to replace your car, pay off your existing loan, or offer a replacement model vehicle - just repair it.

Complain until you get them to the very edge, then take what they offer. Your other option is that they will fix your car and send you on your way.

If you push too far or take them to court, in my opinion you WILL lose the war and spend more than you could ever get in return.

It's a bad situation all around, but don't expect them to pay off a balance that includes more than the car itself. There are taxes, fees, possibly negative equity from a trade in, finance charges - all of which the dealership should not be expected to pay. $4,500.00 assistance from GM is a GIFT.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
htownlovaboy

Drives: 2011 yellow camaro ss convertible
[QUOTE=Cristoff;4951595]Exactly my earlier point. They DO have insurance that will fix your car to its pre-accident condition. They are under NO obligation what so ever to replace your car, pay off your existing loan, or offer a replacement model vehicle - just repair it.

Complain until you get them to the very edge, then take what they offer. Your other option is that they will fix your car and send you on your way.

If you push too far or take them to court, in my opinion you WILL lose the war and spend more than you could ever get in return.

It's a bad situation all around, but don't expect them to pay off a balance that includes more than the car itself. There are taxes, fees, possibly negative equity from a trade in, finance charges - all of which the dealership should not be expected to pay. $4,500.00 assistance from GM is a GIFT.[/QUOTE]

so the dealer should put up the rest since they fked up. its not GM fault. Dealer should put some money up also. Wouldnt that be the logical thing to do?
htownlovaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
I was only stating what they MUST do, not what they SHOULD do.

You cannot force ethics on anyone, including our government...

In a perfect world, yes they should kick in some to help out. Are they required to? Not at all.

Should they just pay off your loan and let you walk away like the original deal and contract never took place? Not a chance in hell.

I fully understand your frustrations and all, but you are asking them to do more than ANY company would be willing or required to do.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #41
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
So, I let you borrow my car, you wreck it. Can i demand you replace it. Probably will not happen. Get it fixed if possible, then work a equitable trade. It sucks for sure, but insurance is in place to either fix it or give fair market value, anything more is a gift.
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #42
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
why cant the dealer just pay off the loan? im hesistant because i have a feeling they gonna put some negative on the new car.
The dealer won't pay off the loan because you are upside down. That's your problem, not the dealer.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote