Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
No Excuses
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Question to Those Who Installed High Flow Cats....

i installed my JBA ones that I bought from a member and the guy that did the install said one of the 02 sensors wouldnt fit correctly on one of them. They had to patch it up and drill a new bung for it to work. No check engine light.

So my question is on the HFC's is their a lot of backend pressure to them? I feel like the car is driving like a V6 instead of a V8. I'm going with Ted from Jannetty with a tune, so would that help at all?
No Excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Hi flow cats reduce back pressure by a considerable amount. The average gain from installing them is 20 - 25 hp. There is no reason that your car should be slower after the install. I would definitely have it looked into and would hold off on a tune until you find the problem.

I am sure that Jannetty can advise you on this.

edited to add that you should make sure that one or both of them have not collapsed in the pipe.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
My HFC were the best hp mod I had (butt dyno). I felt a bigger performance gain from stock cats to HFC than adding headers after.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
No Excuses
Account Suspended

It could be the gaskets that I put on i'll have to check it
Old 05-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
It took a couple months, but I got a CEL after putting on those HFC's from JBA. The car was definitely a LOT quicker, so I have no idea why yours may feel like a V6. Have you tried a fuse pull? I doubt your gaskets would make much, if any difference if it was a leak.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
No Excuses
Account Suspended

gonna have a buddy look at it tomorrow then take it back to the shop that did the install....maybe its just me, but like others have said u should notice a difference.

When I blew my gasket i lost power from it and it sounded like crap. Its sounding just like that, so who knows. I havent done the ECU reset yet.

I still dont know why they had to patch the existing bung and drill a new one.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Your car is most likely running very lean as most do once you add HF cats ir headers. Tune will fix it. Also make sure that you fuse pull as suggested to reset the ECM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Hi flow cats reduce back pressure by a considerable amount. The average gain from installing them is 20 - 25 hp. There is no reason that your car should be slower after the install. I would definitely have it looked into and would hold off on a tune until you find the problem.

I am sure that Jannetty can advise you on this.

edited to add that you should make sure that one or both of them have not collapsed in the pipe.
20-25 HP from high flow cats?

Enlighten me please???
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
RichP

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert L99
I got about 13hp with Solo HFC (at the wheels) I think 25hp is stretching it quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
20-25 HP from high flow cats?

Enlighten me please???
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Solo HFC here - substantial improvement on my SS L99!

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
I have not dynoed my car, but just threw out the 20 - 25 hp number thinking that I saw it published somewhere for Solo hi flows. I am sure that this number, if accurate, is not rwhp. In any event, the op should definitely not have experienced a loss of performance after installing hi flows.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
I definitely felt the car was faster immediately after installing used JBA's I purchased.

That all said I do think this is one of the worst products I have installed on anything from a quality standpoint. The fitment was, well, garbage. The sound now is terrible if you are near a wall (and can hear all the clatter coming from under the hood). And in general I can't wait to replace them with some damn LT's... I'm sure I have at least one exhaust leak somewhere but I am addicted to the extra power so they are staying.

Now after expressing my dislike I can definitely say that I have not had the problem you are describing. As mentioned by another poster I would assume that your mixture is now way off due to the different placement of the O2 sensor, maybe even the low-octane map has been selected by the ecu? This would only make sense if it was one of the front O2s that they moved as the rears are not used for closed-loop fuel calcs. Further, at WOT your ecu goes to open-loop operation which doesn't even use the FRONT O2s for fuel calcs anymore (only the MAF) so... If a fuse/battery reset doesn't fix this then I would assume you will need a new set of midpipes or that you have bigger probs.

I think the tune from Jannetty will reveal the problem because that guy is experienced enough to see anything unusual the second he starts sifting through the data you send him. Even better, if he finds a problem I'm sure he can set you up with exactly what you need to fix it. So yeah, it is logical to do a fuse pull, then work with Jannetty as planned.

Either way best of luck bud!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Excuses View Post
i installed my JBA ones that I bought from a member and the guy that did the install said one of the 02 sensors wouldnt fit correctly on one of them. They had to patch it up and drill a new bung for it to work. No check engine light.

So my question is on the HFC's is their a lot of backend pressure to them? I feel like the car is driving like a V6 instead of a V8. I'm going with Ted from Jannetty with a tune, so would that help at all?
You didn't buy the set that looked liked they had been dented dinged then repaired did you. I know there was a set for sale here that didn't look right..i cant remember who was selling them. Do you have a picture of them. Ive had a set on my car for a year now. Not one problem .....great quality and nice sound.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote