Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Chevron only!
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
TopL3ssSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Shell or Exxon 93.
TopL3ssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbeast2 View Post
Sunoco 93 for me
Ditto!

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
Ralphdss

Drives: SIM 1SS/RS
Sunoco Ultra.
Ralphdss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
suzook

Drives: camaro
Whoever is cheapest...its all the same.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #34
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Yeah, what kind of oil you use, now here's a question that needs to be broached and gone over, and over, and over...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Any of you guys who work in the petroleum business know how 93 octane with no ethanol is made? What is used to raise the octane? No MTBE anymore.
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #36
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Mostly Shell V-Power. If traveling and it's time for gas (down to 1/4 tank), I stop at the cheapest chain-station I can find (Petro, Kangaroo, Enmark, etc.).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I love these fuel threads. I know how it works in my area and I'll bet that it's not much different in other areas. I live about 45 miles from a refinery. It's owned and operated by Marathon. 99.9% of the fuel in the mid-Ohio valley comes out of that refinery. I run service calls in that refinery and I'm always amused when I see all the tanker trucks lined up. There'll be Marathon, Speedway, Shell, BP, Exxon, Valero, etc, and no-name trucks lined up to load fuel. I always think: Could it really be much different, if it all comes out of the same spigot? So I asked a buddy of mine who drives a fuel truck for a regional jobber. He says it's all the exact same stuff, with one exception: the additive package. He says that the base fuel has an additive package that is plenty good, but Marathon stocks all the major brands additive packages and if he tells them he's headed to a Shell station, they will fill his tank and then add the proper amount of Shell additives. But he says that it is strictly a honor system. He says that they simply put in what he tells them to and after he leaves with it he can drop it wherever he pleases. He says that normally, if he's headed to a Shell station he gets Shell fuel, but if he's headed to a Valero station with a load of Valero fuel and a Shell station, on the way calls and requests a 3000 gallons, he doesn't dump the Valero fuel and head back for 3000 gallons of Shell. The Shell gets 3000 gallons of Valero. He also tells me that the refinery only refines 2 grades and he only hauls 2 grades, 87 and 92. The 89 is created in the stations tanks by 50/50 mixing 87 and 92. He also tells me that the octane is mostly an honor system too. He says that some retailers just put 87 in all tanks, because most customers wont notice the difference. He says that the states do spot check for octane occasionally and fines retailers if they catch them, but most retailers don't care because the additional profit more than pays the fines. He says that if a retailer is caught enough, the state will threaten to shut them down, but he says that doesn't scare them much either. They just keep doing it until they get threatened and then clean their act up. He tells me that if I buy fuel where he's dropped it, if I buy 87, I get 87, if I buy 92, I get 92, if I buy 89, I get pot-luck. Ever since he told me that, I've been buying either 87 or 92 at stations he delivers to and I've had no problems. My advice to all you people who are hung up on a particular brand or octane is: You better make friends with the fuel truck driver, because only he knows what he loaded and what he dumped in each tank.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 06-09-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Esso or Gulf.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #39
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
shell V-power, but guys, is it supposed to 91? THey don't have 93 at my gas station. It's 91 V-power.

Help a nub out. I only had the car for 2 weeks now and premium gas is new to me, as a previous bucket o' bolts owner.

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #40
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I love these fuel threads. I know how it works in my area and I'll bet that it's not much different in other areas. I live about 45 miles from a refinery. It's owned and operated by Marathon. 99.9% of the fuel in the mid-Ohio valley comes out of that refinery. I run service calls in that refinery and I'm always amused when I see all the tanker trucks lined up. There'll be Marathon, Speedway, Shell, BP, Exxon, Valero, etc, and no-name trucks lined up to load fuel. I always think: Could it really be much different, if it all comes out of the same spigot? So I asked a buddy of mine who drives a fuel truck for a regional jobber. He says it's all the exact same stuff, with one exception: the additive package. He says that the base fuel has an additive package that is plenty good, but Marathon stocks all the major brands additive packages and if he tells them he's headed to a Shell station, they will fill his tank and then add the proper amount of Shell additives. But he says that it is strictly a honor system. He says that they simply put in what he tells them to and after he leaves with it he can drop it wherever he pleases. He says that normally, if he's headed to a Shell station he gets Shell fuel, but if he's headed to a Valero station with a load of Valero fuel and a Shell station, on the way calls and requests a 3000 gallons, he doesn't dump the Valero fuel and head back for 3000 gallons of Shell. The Shell gets 3000 gallons of Valero. He also tells me that the refinery only refines 2 grades and he only hauls 2 grades, 87 and 92. The 89 is created in the stations tanks by 50/50 mixing 87 and 92. He also tells me that the octane is mostly an honor system too. He says that some retailers just put 87 in all tanks, because most customers wont notice the difference. He says that the states do spot check for octane occasionally and fines retailers if they catch them, but most retailers don't care because the additional profit more than pays the fines. He says that if a retailer is caught enough, the state will threaten to shut them down, but he says that doesn't scare them much either. They just keep doing it until they get threatened and then clean their act up. He tells me that if I buy fuel where he's dropped it, if I buy 87, I get 87, if I buy 92, I get 92, if I buy 89, I get pot-luck. Ever since he told me that, I've been buying either 87 or 92 at stations he delivers to and I've had no problems. My advice to all you people who are hung up on a particular brand or octane is: You better make friends with the fuel truck driver, because only he knows what he loaded and what he dumped in each tank.
Rocky, they won't listen to this. Have a friend of 20 yrs. who owns 10 tankers and he tells me the same thing. And the 10% ethanol in 93 is an other thing the stations don't tell you no matter what the sign out front says.
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Shell 93... only!

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #42
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
Curious as to which fuel company you guys usually go too.

I have a co-op membership card which gives me awesome rewards once a month. I have a tune so I run 91 in my 6 (which is recommended for it)

I was just curious if anyone did the research and found out Co-Op premium is junk or?
Sunoco Ultra Prem 93 oct. Guess I'm partial to as backk in the day when Sunoco 260 was the highest oct you could get.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote