Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Is it worth the price ?

Hi everyone , I'm building a ZL1 on the GM site , and I'm on the fence about several options as follow , please let me know your opinion about the options that I think are a not have to have

1. $500 for the sueded trim ( steering wheel , gear shift ,shift booth )

2. $790 for the GPS system ( some in here do say that's not very good )
specially when one can use the GOOGLE Maps on the phones

3. $ 1995 Recaro seats , I haven't try those yet
Are they that much better on comfort for a casual weekend drive , not going
to track or race the car

One other thing is that the dealer I'm talking to , don't have it in stock , and they are saying that they will go $3200 below MSRP plus whatever rebates will be available at the time of delivery
Please let me know what you think about this
Thanks

Last edited by oldfriend; 04-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I built/ordered my ZL1 directly from Chevy as well. I choose all three of the options above. The last thing I want to do is spend 57K+ and regret I didn't get some feature I really wanted.
Paladinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
I built/ordered my ZL1 directly from Chevy as well. I choose all three of the options above. The last thing I want to do is spend 57K+ and regret I didn't get some feature I really wanted.
I'm with you on that , but the sueded option does make it that much better than the normally finish on those items ?

About the seats , I have to try it on at some point before make that decision

And the My Link thing , if it worked as it could and should ( according to others ) that have it for a while , I probably would just added it to and move on
Thanks for the impute
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've got 2 of the 3 and would not order it any other way. And on the third one being the seats, if they had been available I would have got those as well. My only complaint on the seats is lack of a hole for the Sub belt but I guess a person could get it. As far as the Nav goes the My Link has been the best in car one I've ever had so I love it. The use of electronics in car while driving days are numbered so why wouldn't you get it?

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I think Gm got very cheap with the interior of this car, especially the seats. I have the stock seats without the suede inserts. The leather in the seats are a weird leather to me (if its even leather at all). but also to me, putting suede into the seats is only cutting further back on the quality and they are making you pay for it. The car is advertised as "complete leather wrapped interior" and they have the NERVE to give us a cheap rubber e-brake handle!. Gm seriously you find tacky cheap ways to screw your faithful customers.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
I have a vert.

I have 1, it's ok. on the fence to reorder
1 have 2, not worth it, compared to being able to use my phone . . . imho. just me.

I can't have 3 with a vert, but want it nonetheless.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I've got 2 of the 3 and would not order it any other way. And on the third one being the seats, if they had been available I would have got those as well. My only complaint on the seats is lack of a hole for the Sub belt but I guess a person could get it. As far as the Nav goes the My Link has been the best in car one I've ever had so I love it. The use of electronics in car while driving days are numbered so why wouldn't you get it?
Good clear response , just like I wanted , and the reason for my question was and is to know how people who already used those options feel about it
Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
HawkGirl
COTW 11/18/2013

Drives: 750-HP ZL1 Carbon
Love the in-dash navigation over using my phone becuase i can have Pandora playing while the navigation is going...the my link will side by side display nav and Pandora!

Did not go with the "suede" which is really micro fiber, real leather is better to me - several friends have wear spots from oil on their fingers after just a year on both the shift knob and steering wheel.

Wish I had the Recaro seats!

My only regret is ordering the Z brand new instead of purchasing it used....would have saved $10,000 easily if I was more patient!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
potterluck
LukeB

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #3802
I use the navi all the time, it is nice because it shows up in the center of the cluster also. I do not have the suede, but wish I did. I had the suede on my 1LE and it felt wonderful. I did end up with wear spots on the shifter though. The leather is also nice. I heave a 13 so no Recaros for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
mrmarklin

Drives: ZL1 Blueray Metallic
I have both the Nav and the suede, which is not leather but alcantara...even more expensive. If you're not a track guy it's probably enough. If I had the option I would have gotten the Recaros as well.

Like someone said, it's an expensive car to begin with-why cheap out?
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #11
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Hi everyone , I'm building a ZL1 on the GM site , and I'm on the fence about several options as follow , please let me know your opinion about the options that I think are a not have to have

I went with the leather as I was worried about the suede showing hand oil etc.

My 13 ZL1 didnt have that option, but if it had, no way would I want the factory for $790. I got a stand alone that I plug in, free updates, and I take it in my other vehicles all for under $200.

to track or race the car

Again, my 13 didnt have the recaro option, but I drive 400 miles without stopping on long road trips, and I never get sore or feel like the factory non recaro seats are an issue. I think they are damn comfortable and good quality. Would love to sit in some recaros to compare.

One other thing is that the dealer I'm talking to , don't have it in stock , and they are saying that they will go $3200 below MSRP plus whatever rebates will be available at the time of delivery
Thanks
That price is fantastic compared to what I paid. I bought when these cars were super hot items and hard to get ahold of. I have no regrets paying what I did, I freakin love this car and the newness has not worn off for me at all.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You should configure the car with the options that you want, and then shop a handful of dealers to find one that will give you the best price.

Its important to figure out what options you want to have in the car before you shop, because if you add or subract options in the middle or the end of the process then you may not necessarily get your best bargain. The option list is a clever way of Chevrolet to tack on additional profit on orders. One has to figure out what set of options will work best in getting into the car that one likes best.

For me, the Recaros were a must, followed by the ECF and then polished wheels. I shopped the dealers with those options only and eventually I found my best deal.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:

to track or race the car

Thanks

I got the Suede and GPS system. I'm glad I did, they are both awesome. Keep in mind, you will be using the Suede everyday and everytime you put on hand on the steering wheel and shifter and they feel great...well worth it.

I did not get the Recaros. I had a 2008 Z06 Vette before the ZL1. The OEM seats on the ZL1 are actually way better than the Z06 seats so I alredy knew I was getting an upgrade.

Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

to track or race the car

Thanks
As far as those options go,
1. I have the manual, and I will mention this. After a while, the suede on the shifter will get matted down, but I still like the feel. The suede on the steering wheel is holding up very well (14,000 miles) and I love the feel.

2. Navigation option. I didn't see a big need for it, plus it was on constraint when I bought my '13. The vast majority of the time, I'm not going anywhere I'd need it. For those times I need a map, I either just look at it on the PC and print a map ahead of time, or I use my Ipad to see where I'm going and where I'm at.

3. Recaro seats. Try them before you decide. I had a chance to try them out at a local car show where GM had a car there with them. For me, they fit just a little too snug, but then again I'm not real skinny (5'8"/200), and I don't track the car. Everyone hears the word 'Recaro' and immediately they want them. try them first. Don't even THINK about installing them later. So far, they aren't available for purchase separately.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote