Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #15
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
I was in NJ for work about 7-8 years ago and was shocked when I couldn't find a place to pump my own gas. Felt really odd.
Ditto, just a couple of years ago for me. Really odd...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Cross referenced some vehicles to come up with this. Looks and fits exactly the same. It’s “vented” whatever that means but it was spot on exact inside and out and dimension wise also. It had to be oem for me. I don’t know why I was even attracted to this mod but I like it. I also have the yellow export oem outer tail lights and the yellow DRL’s up front. Just like the look and don’t care what anyone else thinks.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #17
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Vented means it could possibly set an EVAP fault if the system was designed to have a sealed cap. Most modern EVAP systems are designed to be sealed except when the key is in the off position, and the canister vent valve opens. The EVAP system is monitoring tank pressure (ignition on) and will command the canister purge solenoid under the hood to relieve tank pressure that builds once it gets to a predefined pressure reading. Usually a couple psi ish. Obviously, that isnt the case on all vehicles. The manufacturers vary in ways they handle EVAP systems, but in general, that's how it works. So putting a "vented" gas cap on may or may not work, and could potentially cause issues. Not saying you will have issues, just make informed decisions.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
Deftones

They are exactly the same like I said. They are both “vented” per description and both part numbers.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #19
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
But why?

Interesting read about the history of it:
https://www.nj.com/opinion/2014/02/t...ot_safety.html
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #20
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Not trying to argue, but Im pretty sure stock gas caps are not vented. At least mine isnt on my 2014 2SS. But hey, if it works for you and you dont get a P0455 fault, run with it. I've been looking for a e85 cap as well, just havent found an OEM one that's not vented,
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
Deftones

Look it up just like I did. Oem piece says vented for my 2012 SS. From what I saw it has also to do with the check engine light warning on there also. In regards to vented and non vented. The yellow cap is designed and constructed exactly like the piece that I removed. It’s not rocket science either but if you’re scared to swap a cap then you’re scared ��
Old 06-11-2021, 05:32 AM   #22
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Cross referenced some vehicles to come up with this. Looks and fits exactly the same. It’s “vented” whatever that means but it was spot on exact inside and out and dimension wise also. It had to be oem for me. I don’t know why I was even attracted to this mod but I like it. I also have the yellow export oem outer tail lights and the yellow DRL’s up front. Just like the look and don’t care what anyone else thinks.
That’s not the GM part number in your first reply. Should I be looking for this one?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #23
Deftones

The one in the picture worked for me.