Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #57
Jaykenstein

Drives: 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I think the interior is a bit polarizing.

I have a friend, not a Camaro fan. Drives an old Saturn. Not exactly a car guy. Every picture I've shown him, the one response I get is "The interior is awesome".

It's extremely simple. Beautiful in it's simplicity if you ask me. Maybe a *little* too simple (the passenger dash as I've stated).

I think people just have A.D.D. They want all this random junk thrown in. They think that somehow some overpriced PDA with a big, low resolution screen that can only run one application is somehow an indication of a high quality interior. You could mount a fricken laptop in your car for less money than a nav usually costs.

And the soft argument... I don't get that either. What I want is a sturdy interior that is comfortable. I think people have come to expect that a sturdy interior equates to one with soft touch materials. And that's just not always the case. Push on the panels, they aren't flimsy. I don't want something that's going to break, rattle, or squeak after a few months of ownership. Nor does anyone else. Soft touch is only part of the possible solutions. You need a sturdy, well fit interior. I believe the Camaro has that. That picture of the mustang console just screams flimsy to me. Maybe it's not, but it sure looks like it.

To paraphrase my friends that fell into the hole of mini-van submission:

They throw 360 degrees of consoles into the car to distract you from the those shaking their heads in disapproval for setting a poor example; If you're OK with buying a floating box meant for delivering groceries for 2 miles, then my cherished weekend drive to no particular destination becomes irrelevant.

LCD screens sell on staples.com, American muscle cars sell on the freeway
Jaykenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #58
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
This car was never intended to be an updated or retro version of any earlier Camaros. It is meant to be an all new stand alone car that would be good enough to carry the name and heritage of the Camaro. I think they did a fantastic job at that. It is a purebred muscle car unlike anything past or present.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #59
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
Quote:
Who cares about vanity mirrors?
I'm a guy wants to match my car. Meaning when I pick my girlfriend up, I need to look good.

Vanity mirrors are essential when you're picking up a lady friend.

(unless you're married )
Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #60
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
This car was never intended to be an updated or retro version of any earlier Camaros. It is meant to be an all new stand alone car that would be good enough to carry the name and heritage of the Camaro. I think they did a fantastic job at that. It is a purebred muscle car unlike anything past or present.
he, like me, feels that the mustang has been repeatedly inbred.

"if you loved the last [mustang] you'll like this one"

ps. the opinion above, is in no way his. just thought id give you my take on his sentence.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #61
PMD GTO

Drives: G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Funny, sounds like the same thing I said about the GTO 5 years ago.

I think they did a fantastic job on the design of the Camaro too but I still don't buy this whole, "it's not meant to be retro" crap.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #62
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
agh, I'll be nice, post deleted.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #63
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

I got a Magellan for Christmas from my parents but my iPhone works so much better.
Quote:
Who cares about vanity mirrors?

In-dash GPS is stupid. I will never understand why people would want it. With On Star and pretty much every cell phone including GPS these days, why would you want to lock your car in time like that? Something so high tech will quickly be outdated and expensive or almost impossible to update.

Most reviewers (and me) agree that there's a lot of plastic but it is NOT "cheap". Once you've spent a few minutes inside of one, you'll understand.

Everything they said!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #64
K-A

Drives: M-B E350 AMG Sport / '09 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD GTO View Post
The Camaro beats both the Mustang and Challenger hands down in both the looks and performance department but as far as ammenities go the 2010 Mustang is on top. Options for Nav, backup camera, dual zone climate control and higher quality soft touch materials on the interior. Truthfully, to me, the interior on the Camaro is a huge letdown. It's about 5 years to late and looks on par with the 2005 Mustang.

Interior is very important to me personally. Even if you don't "touch" the dash, etc. the look and knowledge of how quality the materials and feel are account in how pleasurable and "livable" the driving experience in a car is. I personally was turned off enough by the Camaro's interior overall to allow it to possibly cancel out my desire to want one as a fun toy in the near future.

Also, about Nav Screens, personally I think a well executed Nav Screen will last the test of time and retain a timeless value. I'm a fan of how M-B did this one on the W211 E-Class:
'13 F10 BMW 535i ///M Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

K-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #65
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Add an aftermarket "trim kit" to the Camaro and BINGO, you have the same look as the MB. I personally don't like the red burlwood look. I liked the dark grey or Titanium look much better. Hell, even a nice carbonfiber trim kit would break up the plain jane looking dash.

Get bold and go with grey or orange interior accents and it will dress it up. GM put out interior dress up kits for the Cobalt and G5 so I can't imagine them not doing the same for their new baby. Unless Congress stops them.

Seems like your expecting GT-R quality in a car that is 1/2 the price.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #66
K-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Add an aftermarket "trim kit" to the Camaro and BINGO, you have the same look as the MB. I personally don't like the red burlwood look. I liked the dark grey or Titanium look much better. Hell, even a nice carbonfiber trim kit would break up the plain jane looking dash.

Get bold and go with grey or orange interior accents and it will dress it up. GM put out interior dress up kits for the Cobalt and G5 so I can't imagine them not doing the same for their new baby. Unless Congress stops them.

Seems like your expecting GT-R quality in a car that is 1/2 the price.
Yeah wood colors (or wood in general) seem to be very subjective. There's an option in my same model car where you can get a "black birds-eye" wood trim in place of the Burlwood mine has. Personally I much prefer the richer warmth and contrast of of the Burlwood and think the black just blends in too much with a black interior, and isn't bold enough, even can be mistaken for plastic from afar. But to each their own, I know a lot of people who don't like any wood period, and prefer aluminum trim.

It's funny because I rode in my friends GTR from Vegas and kept thinking how, although not all too bad, the interior didn't fit an $80+K car, not crappy by any means, but not quality enough to compliment the price tag. I guess it just makes sense as people don't buy these cars for their interiors.

I'm curious to see how the 'Maro's interior will look once people start modding it.
'13 F10 BMW 535i ///M Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #67
MaroMike

Drives: 2008 CHallenger SRT8
What REALLY matters IMVHO........

Is that once again, AMERICAN iron/muscle RULE.........and the other's........well.....you know the end of that saying. For how long is the question. "Hey, you in the White House, mind your own damn business, and let us take care of thing's or we'll into next week"!! Got It?!?!?!

Regards to ALL and yours!!

Mikey
2006 Charger SRT8/ lots o mods
2008 SRT8/mods..........and a nice interior

Future owner of a 2SS/RS
Attached Images

Ludwig Classic Maple D/Bass Zildjian Overhead

AMERICA, Home of the Free, Because of The Brave
MaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #68
K-A

F*** the Challenger has been taunting me the past few days. I think both it and the Camaro have a very similar look and essence, except the Camaro is all around a better looking, and tighter looking car. Then again, due to the negatives the Camaro has for me, the Challenger might fill those voids and prove to be a decent alternative. I'm not too thrilled about its own bland interior but it does fare better than the Camaro's, and damn that pig has some rooom.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #69
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I have a 2SS on order....and I have sat in a 1SS. I was also let down by the interior design in general, and it was almost a show stopper. In the end, I ordered it anyway....although I felt more comfortable in the Challenger interior?

Why did I not buy the Challenger? It drove like a pig. That WAS a showstopper.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #70
CurtG

Drives: 350z
Quote:
Software can only do so much. And how often do they actually update these nav units? How much does it cost to get an update? And are they actually updating the software or just the maps?
every 3-5 years for a dvd unit and its about 200-300 dollars for the DvD. (for Nissans Nav Units anyway) Just the maps, mainly for new roads. If you don't travel they are useless. But they do improve the coolness factor of getting in one.

I prefer the touch screen of my Prius, but I'm a tech junkie and just love touch screens. If you can't touch it and make it work its already out of date.
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote