Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #197
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Just got back from testing the fuse pull. Here are the results:

Pulled the following two fuses:

Fuse 40 Antilock Brake System Valves
Fuse 43 Antilock Brake System Pump

Upon startup, Brake, ABS, and Stabilitrak lights stay lit.
Also displays "Service Power Steering"

I guess the electric power steering on the 2012+ ties in with the ABS somehow.

HSA is totally gone after fuse pull, as well as Traction Control and ABS. Steering feels slightly heavier at parking lot speed, but not very noticeable at normal speeds. It's strange, it doesn't feel like power steering is gone, just slightly less boosted.

Not an optimal solution, but something I wanted to try for proof of concept. I just might keep it this way until a better solution is found. No HSA, and no need to turn off traction control everytime I start the car.
You could wire in a switch. So you can flip it to deactivate HSA when you want but have everything else too.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #198
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Just got back from testing the fuse pull. Here are the results:

Pulled the following two fuses:

Fuse 40 Antilock Brake System Valves
Fuse 43 Antilock Brake System Pump

Upon startup, Brake, ABS, and Stabilitrak lights stay lit.
Also displays "Service Power Steering"

I guess the electric power steering on the 2012+ ties in with the ABS somehow.

HSA is totally gone after fuse pull, as well as Traction Control and ABS. Steering feels slightly heavier at parking lot speed, but not very noticeable at normal speeds. It's strange, it doesn't feel like power steering is gone, just slightly less boosted.

Not an optimal solution, but something I wanted to try for proof of concept. I just might keep it this way until a better solution is found. No HSA, and no need to turn off traction control everytime I start the car.
The "warning lights lit" result was absolutely predictable even if I hadn't read this month's Brake & Front End magazine - everything involving computer-commanded brake application is piggybacked on top of ABS. Take ABS down and the rest of this 'house of cards' falls (and this is precisely what worries me about people relying on these systems to save their sorry a$$e$).

What you don't know is whether the EPAS draws a signal through either of those fuses or if the message is set because one or more of ABS, TC, or ST has been rendered inop (yes, you took the ST down, too). Replacing the fuses and disconnecting one wheel sensor might tell you which of the above possibilities it is. Just remember that you'll still have shut all of the nannies off.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #199
SSRS1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The "warning lights lit" result was absolutely predictable even if I hadn't read this month's Brake & Front End magazine - everything involving computer-commanded brake application is piggybacked on top of ABS. Take ABS down and the rest of this 'house of cards' falls (and this is precisely what worries me about people relying on these systems to save their sorry a$$e$).
That's my favorite magazine! On a serious note, this was not a long term solution. I just wanted to try "something" to disable HSA, because no one else has yet.

A better solution I would like to try is to disconnect the multi-axis acceleration sensor, because unplugging that should affect a few less systems. At least ABS should still work, and perhaps avoid the Power Steering message too.

In another post, MPHS_AGM had picked up a full set of 2013 Service Manuals, and was researching into wiring diagrams and such. Last info is that the sensor is under the center console somewhere, but I'd like to get some better specifics so I know exactly what I'm looking for before I just start tearing panels apart.

Anyone have their center console apart and see anything that looks like it could be a multi-axis acceleration sensor?
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #200
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
No offense Southern Comfort, but your statement made me laugh. It is as if any problem solving / performance improvement is just a fuse pull away! If I get my black 1LE, and don't like the color after a while, you know what I am gonna do.....wait for it.......I'm gonna try a fuse pull!!!!!!!
I wasn't suggesting it as a cure. If it modifies the behavior maybe it may offer another clue.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #201
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I wasn't suggesting it as a cure. If it modifies the behavior maybe it may offer another clue.
I know. Just having a bit of fun, and you might be right about it leading to something else.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #202
Southern Comfort

Quote:
I know. Just having a bit of fun, and you might be right about it leading to something else.
It's all good. Any news on yours yet?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #203
gajagfan

Quote:
It's all good. Any news on yours yet?
It is at the dealer, splitter installed and detailed for delivery tonight. I went after work to see it, but they had it out filling it up. I then went back after my wife and I took care of some business and they had it locked up inside. We will see it, and drive it (never have driven a 1LE before) tonight when we pick it up. I did not sleep much last night! Are they holding CHP at Commerce?

Last edited by gajagfan; 05-31-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #204
Southern Comfort

Just in time for the weekend and CHP in ATL.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #205
gajagfan

Quote:
Just in time for the weekend and CHP in ATL.
That would be fun, but it is too far from Brunswick. I am thinking I am going to get the synth oil out tomorrow, start the 500 mile break-in period, and put a coat of wax on the car. That along with the usual lawn work!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #206
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
That would be fun, but it is too far from Brunswick. I am thinking I am going to get the synth oil out tomorrow, start the 500 mile break-in period, and put a coat of wax on the car. That along with the usual lawn work!
The worst thing you can do to a new car is change the oil.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #207
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I wouldn't be afraid to change just the filter at that mileage and top it off.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #208
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I was just thinking,we 2013 1SS guys have been waiting for awhile to get the issues worked out with the wiring,so we could hook up the 4 pack gauges.Ofer from Gen5diy resolved that issue,and i now have my working gauges.Since apparently he is one smart dude,maybe he is the guy who can resolve this issue?
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #209
bandit4008

Drives: 2012 SS
So i spent a couple of hours at the dealership this weekend with the service tech. The results are less than i hoped for. First off, i confirmed that the HSA comes on in reverse when facing dowhill. It just needs a steeper hill than facing uphill. Because of this and the fact that the 3-axis accelerometer is used for the stabilitak system as well, the dealership would only recalibrate to a true zero because of liability concerns, which is understandable.
One thing i did learn about the system is that works differently than others have reported. It dosn't hold the brake pressure that you stopped the car with, instead it looks at the incline of the hill and calculates the brake pressure needed to hold the car and uses that. Based on that, if the zero calibration is off, it would be using the wrong pressure.
After re-zeroing the sensor, it might be a little better but far from satisfactory. Taking off on my test incline repeatedly, ignoring the 2 sec delay and using just enough power to overcome the brakes caused my clutch to start burning after the fourth time.
The service tech. has been in contact several times with the factory and is on our side, but he said they have no interest in changing anything at this time.
My suggestion is for everyone to go to their respective dealerships and complain to the service department. For me, i'll continue to use the parking brake to the first click until i can play the the sensor angle. Hopefully, i can find a setting that keeps HSA from coming on for most of the hills i drive while still allowing me to backup on level ground.
bandit4008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #210
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit4008 View Post
So i spent a couple of hours at the dealership this weekend with the service tech. The results are less than i hoped for. First off, i confirmed that the HSA comes on in reverse when facing dowhill. It just needs a steeper hill than facing uphill. Because of this and the fact that the 3-axis accelerometer is used for the stabilitak system as well, the dealership would only recalibrate to a true zero because of liability concerns, which is understandable.
One thing i did learn about the system is that works differently than others have reported. It dosn't hold the brake pressure that you stopped the car with, instead it looks at the incline of the hill and calculates the brake pressure needed to hold the car and uses that. Based on that, if the zero calibration is off, it would be using the wrong pressure.
After re-zeroing the sensor, it might be a little better but far from satisfactory. Taking off on my test incline repeatedly, ignoring the 2 sec delay and using just enough power to overcome the brakes caused my clutch to start burning after the fourth time.
The service tech. has been in contact several times with the factory and is on our side, but he said they have no interest in changing anything at this time.
My suggestion is for everyone to go to their respective dealerships and complain to the service department. For me, i'll continue to use the parking brake to the first click until i can play the the sensor angle. Hopefully, i can find a setting that keeps HSA from coming on for most of the hills i drive while still allowing me to backup on level ground.
Thanks for the info. I see now that the calibration may vary between cars, so those who claim to have no problems may be be benefitting from an "off" factory calibration. I know that mine has caused me to burn a bit of clutch unexpectedly a couple of times, and it's embarrassing since I learned to drive in a standard back in about '73/'74 and have been driving them since.

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote