Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #113
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
That list makes it look worse than it is. Its 9 of the top 10. But only a couple major metropolitan areas.
Wow! Nerve wrecking!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #114
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
You...I like you...

Anyways, awful to hear OP - I am right across the bay...

Time for some cameras
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #115
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
How is that possible that's crazy's its a new car. They must have been really good and fast.

Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks long tube headers
Kooks cats delete
Corsa sport catback exhaust
Tune(from Superior Automotive)
Jet chip mass air flow sensor
Oil catch can
Taylor racing spark plug wires
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
BBK 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Vitesse motorsports throttle controller
-"Ride or Die."
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #116
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
so if your car is stolen and they rip the engine out but the car is not totaled, I wonder if you would get a new engine vs a used engine?
Two points here:
!) The insurance co owes you for LKQ (like, kind & quality) replacement parts.
They can use a used engine &/or parts as long as they have the same or fewer miles.
2) They can use a new engine &/or parts but they becomes subject to depreciation,
IE: Your recovered car has 20,000 miles and they replace it with a new
engine you could be charged a $$ or percentage amount for "betterment".
All of this is a general answer and depends on several factors including
but not limited to your policy and individual ins. co. policies, your State regulations,
your vehicles remaining warranty just to name a few. I've worked across the Country
as an adjuster, and recovered thefts can become very difficult...
I always like to total them out if possible and move on.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #117
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #118
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
That list makes it look worse than it is. Its 9 of the top 10. But only a couple major metropolitan areas.
i also consider california to be 3 states. northern(oakland etc, middle(sacremento), and south(la etc)
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #119
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
i also consider california to be 3 states. northern(oakland etc, middle(sacremento), and south(la etc)
Oakland is actually couple hours south of Sacramento.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #120
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
As someone who studies and works in the tech field I felt this needed to be made clear...

If a professional (read, actually tech savvy) thief is actively RFID hacking(I'd call it modern day war dialing) cars and decides they want yours, it's more or less toast. Ask any security admin or script kiddie and they'll tell you the same. Hacking is more dedication then skill, even if you repel an attack 99% of the time, the 1% of the time is all the hacker is looking for. That said, take that with a grain of salt as well. Hacking isn't like the movies, if anything it's just an electronic version of staking out. The cases you hear of people swiping something in a few minutes have prior information obtained from various sources. If you really sit down and think about it, how predictable are your day to day actions and various transactions? Especially with someone actively paying attention to them?

This brings me to my next point, this isn't watch dogs. Most people strolling down the street have no idea what RFID chips even are. Most thieves aren't operating a sophisticated crime syndicate racking up income by stealing cars. There are far easier ways to make money using RFID chips. In all honestly, you have a better chance of having your car towed away then hacked into, which is what sounds like happened to the OP.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #121
HarriSSon

Drives: 2013 2SS L99 Camaro
We had my step dad's farm truck (a super loud diesel F250) stolen right out of our yard and never heard it. Found it bogged down in a trailer park 45 minutes away the next morning. You got lucky!

HarriSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #122
Raysmaro

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Im in San Jose too. Last night I sent an email to the San Jose Police Auto Theft Division asking if Camaro thefts are an issue in our area as well.
Yeah I'm from south san jose by oak ridge mall. So at least its not really the bad part of san jose. I've talked to my step dad a lot as he was a San Jose police officer for 20 years. He said that he's been hearing throughout all the bay area that Camaro's are the most targeted vehicles right now, because its a hot car of this century, the parts go quick and they aren't that hard to break into. I hope the next gen that comes out has a way better alarm system. Keep me updated on that info.
Raysmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #123
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Bummer. As an old-schhol Harley owner, I use new-school security. Move my scoot and my pager goes off. I'm armed except when in the shower, and a weapon is within reach while I'm getting wet.

At night, the free Republic of Texas allows you to shoot someone taking off with your property and you believe you'll never get the property back.

In the Bay Area of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, you'll just have to let them steal your stuff. Bummer on your living in a Commie state.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #124
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Bummer. As an old-schhol Harley owner, I use new-school security. Move my scoot and my pager goes off. I'm armed except when in the shower, and a weapon is within reach while I'm getting wet.

At night, the free Republic of Texas allows you to shoot someone taking off with your property and you believe you'll never get the property back.

In the Bay Area of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, you'll just have to let them steal your stuff. Bummer on your living in a Commie state.

man , I need to move there !
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #125
NAS

Drives: '10 SS
Wack ass Cali with all the stupid laws, at least we have the nice weather lol.
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #126
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
So something you can do - coworker taught me this a long time ago - when you get our of your car, pop the fuse panel (if its accessible..mine is easily) and pull the "Crank" fuse (or fuel pump or injector fuses). This will disable the ability for the car to start regardless of if they try to move it or whatever. Even if they hack the computer if there is no electricity going to the fuel injectors they won't be able to start it and they'll move on because it'll take too much time to figure out what's up.

Thats step 1.

Cameras on your car is definitely step 2 - but what you can do to stop the towing from happening easily is to carry something (like red brick or wheel chock - those things REALLY do work) and stick it behind your tire UNDER the car where its not easily visible. This will make noise if someone tries to tow it and will draw attention to the car, not to mention make it harder to move (especially if you have two, one on a front tire and one on a rear).

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
As someone who studies and works in the tech field I felt this needed to be made clear...

If a professional (read, actually tech savvy) thief is actively RFID hacking(I'd call it modern day war dialing) cars and decides they want yours, it's more or less toast.?
This almost happened to my 2013 Equinox. Right around the time the news media was showing off those stories about people unlocking GM cars - I parked at a 7/11 in a ... interesting... part of town and went to go into the 7/11 and hit the "lock" button on my fob twice (horn honks and i know its locked).

Nothing happened. no lights flash, no anything. I was curious so i stood in front of the car in front of the doors of the 7/11 and faced the car and hit the lock button twice again. Nothing. So i got back in the car (there was a lot of activity going on) and i started the car, tested the locks in the car, everything worked. I turned the car off and hit the fob lock and nothing.

I decided to get back in the car and drive two blocks away where my fob started working properly again.

Something was rotten at that 7/11 parking lot (there were a lot of people in their cars milling around and it was not necessarily a good place to be after dark).

Just saying that it's out there. People do go after things electronically and most of us don't pay attention to it. I got lucky.

---

Just put as much security on the car as you can and another suggestion:

Start walking outside at random times and doing things (check the mail, turn the sprinklers on/off for a few mins, open the garage door, etc) -- just to make it clear that you are not going to give them much time to do anything.

Stealing gets harder when you can't tell that someone is going to pop out and catch you. You might want to talk to the cops while this is fresh and see if they can do a drive by randomly at different times of the day if there is an officer nearby (hey who knows, they might do it).

Hope that everything goes well and I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

Good luck with everything!