Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
CalvertCamaro

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Several New Mods Installed

This weekend my brother and I decided to tackle the installation of several mod upgrades to my 2015 1LE. Here is what we installed:

Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Calico KoolBlack Coating
Stainless Works Hi-Flow Cats
Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Catback Exhaust
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Vararam VR-DRX Intake
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Taylor Thundervolt Wires
DynoSteve Custom Tune w/ SCTx4 Tuner

Neither one of us had done any work like this before. The extent of my automotive experience has been changing the oil. My brother is a motorcycle mechanic for Harley-Davidson. After watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading tons of the forums here, we decided to give it a shot and see what happened.

After getting the car up on four jack stands, things started to fall into place. Installing the LT Headers was not a problem since we got the car high enough in the air. We were able to lift them up from the bottom and install them without having to disconnect the steering column. Next came the new spark plugs and wires. You can see in the pictures that there seems to be enough space between the headers and spark plug wires, but I'm glad I put the heat boots on just in case. I also changed the oil, transmission fluid and rear differential fluid while the car was in the air. All fluids are now Royal Purple. Very easy to do.

The exhaust fit pretty well. There were a couple of connecting points that didn't seem to fit and transition perfectly, but after a few minor tweaks, we were able to get everything lined up and tightened into place. I also had a problem with the exhaust spacing, even after installing the supplied spacer bars. It is very tight above the cross member.

The Vararam intake was a bit difficult to install, but looks pretty good when finished. I like the idea of incorporating the washer bottle into the solid wall wing. I'm sure anyone who has installed an intake before will have a much easier time than I did. But overall, it wasn't too bad, just time consuming (over an hour for me...) and nothing you can't do with a little patience.

Overall I am very happy with the upgrades to the car. The sound is absolutely amazing with the headers, cats and exhaust. I am glad that I went with the full 3" performance connect with the exhaust. It is very deep and throaty. But make no mistake, this is LOUD. Maybe because I drove the car stock for a year and have moved to this setup, but it is a big difference FOR THE BETTER !! I haven't turned on the radio since this project has been completed because I just want to listen to that awesome exhaust symphony as a I roll through my neighborhood.

The car responds much more quickly and decisively thanks to the Vararam, the ported TB and the tune. Throttle response is great now. I haven't noticed any difference in shifting since changing over to Royal Purple transmission fluid, but maybe I will as I drive it more. Others have reported a less-notchy feeling when shifting, but I didn't notice any big difference yet.

The tune from DynoSteve has definitely unleashed the beast in the Camaro and the car now drives and sounds like a Camaro should. I bought all the parts from DynoSteve and his customer service has been 100% awesome the whole way through this process. I am creating data logs to send to him so he can tweak the tune if necessary. Anyone on the fence about who to deal with needs to give Steve a call. You will not regret it.

As I said before, I am certainly not much of a mechanic, but I would do this whole thing again in a heartbeat. My brother and I got it all done in one very long day. I have only driven the car a little bit since completing the install, but it is now a monster on the road. To this point, I am very happy with how this turned out. I can't stop grinning every time I start it up...
Attached Images

Stainless Power LT Headers with CoolBlack Calico Ceramic Coating / Hi-Flow Cats / Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Exhaust / Vararam VR-DRX Intake / Bo White Stage 2 TB / NGK Iridium Plugs / Taylor Thundervolt Wires / Tuned by RDP Motorsports
CalvertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Awesome write up! And nice list of goodies. Bringing them all together with a DynoSteve tune and I bet that thing seems like a brand new car to you nice choice of catback as well, I love the sound.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Ashn4it

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray LS3 M6 (SOLD)
Best sounding setup there is!! I have the same except I have a CAI intake.
Congrats on the mods!
1997 C5 LS1 Corvette (SOLD)
1985 C4 L98 Corvette (SOLD)
1967 Camaro RS/SS 383 sb (STOLEN)
Ashn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Yeah buddy!
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Where in Maryland?. There is a Southern Md Camaro Club.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Nice choice of mods! Would love to hear a sound clip. What's the ground clearance of the exhaust pipes ...looks awfully low in the pic?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
DAMN! Get you some of that! If you're going to mod, why not go all out! Enjoy your new car! I berry it isn't anything like it was before.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
CalvertCamaro

I am in Chesapeake Beach, MD.

The car is definitely transformed from stock. I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting on one mod at a time so I just waited until I was able to purchase everything. Took about 4 months for me to get everything. Once I had all the mods I was looking to get, everything got installed the same day. Very happy with the results. This is very addicting. Now I'm thinking that I need to get a cam...

Stainless Power LT Headers with CoolBlack Calico Ceramic Coating / Hi-Flow Cats / Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Exhaust / Vararam VR-DRX Intake / Bo White Stage 2 TB / NGK Iridium Plugs / Taylor Thundervolt Wires / Tuned by RDP Motorsports
Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Good luck with your new addiction
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
OMG I want the SW Retro catback!!!

But I cannot justify installing what would amount to my 4th exhaust in 9 months...especially since the SW costs a small fortune.

Looks sick though man!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7Ί overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160Ί thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
why did u change your plugs? NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. how much of a difference would it be? like idk. was it necessary? u going to get some hidden HP gain from it. is there something you know that i dont.
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
CalvertCamaro
Several New Mods Installed
This weekend my brother and I decided to tackle the installation of several mod upgrades to my 2015 1LE. Here is what we installed:

Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Calico KoolBlack Coating
Stainless Works Hi-Flow Cats
Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Catback Exhaust
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Vararam VR-DRX Intake
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Taylor Thundervolt Wires

DynoSteve Custom Tune w/ SCTx4 Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Nice choice of mods! Would love to hear a sound clip. What's the ground clearance of the exhaust pipes ...looks awfully low in the pic?
Bump
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
CalvertCamaro

Here is another pic of the exhaust taken from ground level. I just measured and at it's lowest point, the exhaust is right at 5" above the ground.

I recorded a sound/video clip with my iPhone, but this site won't let me upload MP4 files. What do I need to do to get the file uploaded??
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
CalvertCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Speedriver View Post
why did u change your plugs? NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. how much of a difference would it be? like idk. was it necessary? u going to get some hidden HP gain from it. is there something you know that i dont.
I definitely don't know more than anyone else! I am a rookie at all of this. I can't say that I gained any power by changing the plugs, but for $50, it didn't seem to be a big deal to make the change. I still kept my OEM plugs just in case...