Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Looking for advice on headers

I'm thinking about putting headers and high flow cats on my 15 1SS 1LE.

There are a bunch out there so I would like feedback from those of you that have installed them. Grade of stainless, thickness of material, flange thickness, quality of welds etc.

Oh yeah performance also. Does anyone offer greater performance gains over the others?

Last consideration price and best place to purchase. I believe in supporting vendors that support us.

Same info on the cats.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Not to be a dick, but the search feature would be very useful here. This is one of a handful of subjects that has been batted around time and time again. Kooks here, along with Kooks HFC's. Excellent fit and quality. Decent SOTP upgrades, and with CAI and a tune, can net you around 25 or so ponies at the crank. Most do it for the increase in exhaust note. Majority of headers will give you the same gains, with stepped potentially giving you a bit more.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I can vouch for the Kooks and their HFC. Great quality and fitment with no issues. There are many different brands out there. Just depends on how much or little you want to spend. There are good and bad stories/reviews for everything.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 01-29-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I'm thinking about putting headers and high flow cats on my 15 1SS 1LE.

There are a bunch out there so I would like feedback from those of you that have installed them. Grade of stainless, thickness of material, flange thickness, quality of welds etc.

Oh yeah performance also. Does anyone offer greater performance gains over the others?

Last consideration price and best place to purchase. I believe in supporting vendors that support us.

Same info on the cats.

Thanks
Craig
Best bang for buck, especially when it comes to quality, would be the Texas Speed and Performance headers.

Can get 1-7/8" or 2" for same price, O2 extensions, Genuine GM gaskets, off-road racing pipes, and clamps for around $540.

They have the thickest primary walls around and really high quality welds. The only downside I can find with them is I do not like slip-fit style collectors.

A strange thing I have noticed is that my TSP headers have not discolored or rainbowed at all. They bronzed up a bit more, but that is it. That's with around 10K miles since install.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7Ί overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160Ί thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 01-29-2017 at 09:57 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
KOOKS BUDDY> KOOKS WITH CERAMIC COATING
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
SS Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Not to be a dick, but the search feature would be very useful here. This is one of a handful of subjects that has been batted around time and time again. Kooks here, along with Kooks HFC's. Excellent fit and quality. Decent SOTP upgrades, and with CAI and a tune, can net you around 25 or so ponies at the crank. Most do it for the increase in exhaust note. Majority of headers will give you the same gains, with stepped potentially giving you a bit more.
I hear what your saying. My problem is when I do a search I get so many results that aren't pertinent.

I don't really care about the exhaust tone just the performance.

Whatever I get I'll have ceramic coated.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Op people will post what they have......you can spend more or less money. Performance will not be different and people who have both seem happy with their purchase.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
mikey00

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE
+1 for Kooks with HFC. I used stage 8 locking header bolts and haven't had any issues.
mikey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I hear what your saying. My problem is when I do a search I get so many results that aren't pertinent.

I don't really care about the exhaust tone just the performance.

Whatever I get I'll have ceramic coated.

Thanks
Craig
I hear you. You just have to weed through the threads, but I usually can find at least one or two that pertain exactly to the issue I'm dealing with. Not only that, but it you just Goggle search the question, you'll get Camaro5 threads as well as other info. This subject is so subjective, like many others, that like others have said, you'll get myriad answers, when you probably already have an idea of what you want to buy, and what you can afford.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
I have the bbk 1 7/8 ceramics in my car. They came with the 02 extension. The only issue you may have after the install is that the headers might touch the steering shaft. To fix that you need to adjust the engine via the motor mounts. Not everyone has this issue but some do.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
SS Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey00 View Post
+1 for Kooks with HFC. I used stage 8 locking header bolts and haven't had any issues.
I always use Stage 8's. Been a fan of theirs for years.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
SS Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGO View Post
I have the bbk 1 7/8 ceramics in my car. They came with the 02 extension. The only issue you may have after the install is that the headers might touch the steering shaft. To fix that you need to adjust the engine via the motor mounts. Not everyone has this issue but some do.
Good to know. Thank you.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
SS Performance

Quote:
I hear you. You just have to weed through the threads, but I usually can find at least one or two that pertain exactly to the issue I'm dealing with. Not only that, but it you just Goggle search the question, you'll get Camaro5 threads as well as other info. This subject is so subjective, like many others, that like others have said, you'll get myriad answers, when you probably already have an idea of what you want to buy, and what you can afford.
I hear what you are saying. I have used Kook's in the past and am leaning towards them.

It's just new stuff comes out that I might not be aware of, such as Stainless Works.

I just like to get as much information as possible before I make a decision.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
This is what I do. The sites search function is a bit weird, it seems like it lists the threads that have mentioned your inquiry from newest to oldest, and isn't all that helpful in my opinion. However, if you Google say, "Camaro Headers" for example, 9/10 there will be a few threads present from good ol' Camaro5. You can hit "more results from camaro5" under the list of threads and it will show only threads started on here and is usually much easier to navigate what you're looking for as it seems the most popular threads show first. Just an FYI

Back to topic; I'll be that guy. I went with Speed Engineering headers. They are the cheapest set of reliable headers you can buy, with no disadvantage. They work just as well as any other header. Search it and you can see the infamous debate. It all boils down to what you prefer to spend really. Although I should note, hi-flow isn't an option for these unless you outsource. If you're going to do that you might as well get TSP at that point. I usually recommend Speed Engineering for those who don't mind catless, and TSP for those who want hi flows. Then again, I'm not someone who is gonna spend twice as much on Kooks or ARH. Just my opinion though, research and get what you will. Good luck!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote