Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exhaust options for L99 with AFM tuned out

Please help to educate me on a replacement exhaust for my L99. If I've tuned out AFM, does that open up my options on a replacement exhaust? I really have no clue, but from what I've read it seems that the cat back systems designed for the L99 have additional resonators to deal with the AFM noise. If you've turned off AFM, are you better off with an exhaust designed for the M6 or should you still get a system designed for the A6? I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the exhaust only to find out that it's still too quiet because of the A6 resonators.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If you have tuned out AFM ANY exhaust made for the 2010 Camaro SS will work including those made for LS3 cars and those made for L99 cars. Since the car is running on all 8 all the time it will sound very similar to the ls3. Yes the L99 specific exhuast will be quieter than the LS3 type.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
If you have tuned out AFM ANY exhaust made for the 2010 Camaro SS will work including those made for LS3 cars and those made for L99 cars. Since the car is running on all 8 all the time it will sound very similar to the ls3. Yes the L99 specific exhuast will be quieter than the LS3 type.
So an LS3 exhaust would really be the way to go in my situation, right? Other than it will sound like crap when I revert the tune to stock to take it in for service.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to get rid of AFM and go with the LS3 catback. I'm worried it will be too quiet. When are you doing this? I'd like to hear your setup.
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
ive tuned out the afm when I installed my magnacharger. Its in the shop right now installing a cai, kooks headers and corsa exhaust. I should be getting the car back before the weekend so I might be able to answer some of your questions. Tuning out the afm was the best thing ive done for this car so far.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
You are open to every exhaust system out there. The main difference between the LS3 and L99 exhaust is the most companies have resonators installed right under the front seats on the L99 and the LS3 exhaust is just straight pipes. I run the Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers and cats with the complete Corsa Exhaust and love it. Quiet inside the car while crusing at road speed but when you push the go pedal to the floor, she sounds like an all out race exhaust. Good luck on your hunt.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
So an LS3 exhaust would really be the way to go in my situation, right? Other than it will sound like crap when I revert the tune to stock to take it in for service.
My dealer's service mgr told me that once you do a AFM deactivation tune G.M. will know even if you return it to stock. He said many mechanical parts will no longer be covered. I will live with my stock exhaust on my A6 SS.
Also if you decide to sell or trade in your Camaro in a year or two, the value may be greatly reduced if it no longer has the factory warranty.
Just my thoughts.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
This is good info to know, glad I read this before I have my exhaust done, cause I am definitely having the AFM turned off and I want the exhaust to be way louder than the factory exhaust.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
This is good info to know, glad I read this before I have my exhaust done, cause I am definitely having the AFM turned off and I want the exhaust to be way louder than the factory exhaust.
I still have AFM turned on and went with the Magnaflow 16580 competition. Great sound and great price from Jordan at Magnflowplus.com
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmobile View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to get rid of AFM and go with the LS3 catback. I'm worried it will be too quiet. When are you doing this? I'd like to hear your setup.
Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. If you are even considering turning off AFM and aren't concerned about the "potential" warranty issues, I say DO IT! It's like a whole new car. You won't be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
ive tuned out the afm when I installed my magnacharger. Its in the shop right now installing a cai, kooks headers and corsa exhaust. I should be getting the car back before the weekend so I might be able to answer some of your questions. Tuning out the afm was the best thing ive done for this car so far.
AMEN BROTHER!!! But I do like the Heritage grille too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
My dealer's service mgr told me that once you do a AFM deactivation tune G.M. will know even if you return it to stock. He said many mechanical parts will no longer be covered. I will live with my stock exhaust on my A6 SS.
Also if you decide to sell or trade in your Camaro in a year or two, the value may be greatly reduced if it no longer has the factory warranty.
Just my thoughts.
Maybe, maybe not. But I really don't care. I'd rather have a car that runs like it should for that year or two than have one I'm not happy with. Besides, I wasn't saying that I would return it to stock to try to fool the dealer. It's because you have to in case they reflash the ECM. With the Predator, you always want to keep the last GM flash so you revert it before taking it in for maintenance, save any new flash and then reflash your tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
As I said to duffmobile. If you can live with the "potential" for warranty issues, DO IT!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Go for it...it sounds so much better! I went with a Borla Stinger cat-back, and later added Kooks LT headers. Here's a couple of videos.

With the Borla

With Kooks & Borla

Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
LS Kernal

Drives: VT Commodore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coyle View Post
You are open to every exhaust system out there. The main difference between the LS3 and L99 exhaust is the most companies have resonators installed right under the front seats on the L99 and the LS3 exhaust is just straight pipes. I run the Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers and cats with the complete Corsa Exhaust and love it. Quiet inside the car while crusing at road speed but when you push the go pedal to the floor, she sounds like an all out race exhaust. Good luck on your hunt.
Hey mate, do you have an exhaust vid??
LS Kernal is offline   Reply With Quote