Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
Difference between GM and Toyota

Thank God GM has the wisdom to not follow these losers... damn bean counters can lead a company astray if yer not careful... sh$t when your company's too afraid to even make cars (really ugly golf carts) that people think they should want ...yer gutless

Toyota Motor Corp. is shelving its plans to build the popular Prius hybrid in Mississippi as the slump in the auto industry continues to hobble the Japanese carmaker known for it emphasis on fuel-sipping vehicles.
Toyota's plant under construction in Blue Springs, Miss., was scheduled to begin production in 2010, marking the first time the gas-electric Prius, which has been on sale for more than a decade, would be built outside of Japan and China.
But Mike Goss, a spokesman for Toyota's U.S. arm, said Monday that despite investing $300 million in the plant so far, the automaker is delaying production there indefinitely because of the industrywide downturn.
Construction of the plant is about 90 percent complete, and Toyota will finish the building, Goss said. However, the installation of the factory's equipment and machinery — "the most time-consuming" element of construction, he said — is delayed indefinitely.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Hmm, next thing we know Toyota will come looking for loans.

-_- I'm sadistically happy at all this though. Shelby's probably grabbing his ankles now.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
So prius is gone in the future, or they're just going to keep building it in china/japan?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
I hope non of the imports go down like the big 3. I hope GM and the others get its act together so that the big 3 can show the world that American cars are best. There is nothing wrong with some healthy competition.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
So prius is gone in the future, or they're just going to keep building it in china/japan?
They will continue to build them where they are building them now.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
MerFmobile

Drives: 04 Trailblazer LTZ
I don't see this being real huge news one way or the other. It's pretty much common sense that if sales are down, don't invest time and money into something that increases production. All other politics aside it's pretty cut and dry to me.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
the_saint

Drives: rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Thank God GM has the wisdom to not follow these losers... damn bean counters can lead a company astray if yer not careful... sh$t when your company's too afraid to even make cars (really ugly golf carts) that people think they should want ...yer gutless

Toyota Motor Corp. is shelving its plans to build the popular Prius hybrid in Mississippi as the slump in the auto industry continues to hobble the Japanese carmaker known for it emphasis on fuel-sipping vehicles.
Toyota's plant under construction in Blue Springs, Miss., was scheduled to begin production in 2010, marking the first time the gas-electric Prius, which has been on sale for more than a decade, would be built outside of Japan and China.
But Mike Goss, a spokesman for Toyota's U.S. arm, said Monday that despite investing $300 million in the plant so far, the automaker is delaying production there indefinitely because of the industrywide downturn.
Construction of the plant is about 90 percent complete, and Toyota will finish the building, Goss said. However, the installation of the factory's equipment and machinery — "the most time-consuming" element of construction, he said — is delayed indefinitely.
that's a real intelligent post you made there.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
You at least have to give the guy credit for his accurate depiction of the Prius.

Why the Asian auto makers like make cars that look like pregnant roller skates is beyond me.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
Perhaps to some a bit of satire that masquerades as the truth...but to me GM's move is beyond naiveness - it is honest and bold - give people what they really want at time when others shy away -so in that sense entrepreneurial and very American.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
MerFmobile

Drives: 04 Trailblazer LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint View Post
that's a real intelligent post you made there.
Not that I disagree, but now that I'm trying out browsing the forums with the Crackberry I have a renewed disgust of quoting 20 lines of text for a 1-line response!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
odie23

Drives: Jeep
Good question. Seems like American car companies have always worried about short term profits (stockholders), whereas the other focus on long-term profits?
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
You at least have to give the guy credit for his accurate depiction of the Prius.

Why the Asian auto makers like make cars that look like pregnant roller skates is beyond me.
Function Over Form

Pregnant roller skates = aerodynamic
Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
There is a reason they are not worrying about leaving it half built, alabama funded most of it. They just threw away taxpayer money, not their own money. That is what happens when money is GIVEN instead of LOANED.

It seriously pisses me off that we are GIVING out hundreds of millions to foreign companies, and giving out hundreds of millions MORE in tax breaks(no tax revenue) to them while we cannot LOAN 10% of our workforce(directly and indirectly) money that will be paid back in a matter of months through taxes alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.

Last edited by shadowed_Stranger; 12-16-2008 at 09:50 AM.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post

Yeah. Look at the 370Z!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote