Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Cowboy from Hell

Drives: don't ask!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
That puts a zl1 at 65,000 in Canada. Who would pay a 15,000 premium to buy one here? Nobody.
If its 50 k in the US, It should be around 54,000 in Canada or else just go and buy one in the US...too easy.
With the dollar where its at its definately cheaper to buy one down south anyway, so us Canadians should probably buy US Camaros anyway.:flag2:
We certainly do get hosed a bit up here on certain items... it does seem a little like companies aren't as bothered about the canadian market as they are other markets.

Frankly i'm not feeling the love!!!
Cowboy from Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Welcome to the tax heaven , if they do price the ZL around that south of your border this cars will seat on dealers lots for a loooooong time !And they will see more and more GT 500 around !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Cowboy from Hell

Drives: don't ask!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Welcome to the tax heaven , if they do price the ZL around that south of your border this cars will seat on dealers lots for a loooooong time !And they will see more and more GT 500 around !
Too true..... I think that's happening with used Nissan GTRs they are pricing 2009s at around $75k and surprise, surprise they aren't moving!!
Cowboy from Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
That puts a zl1 at 65,000 in Canada. Who would pay a 15,000 premium to buy one here? Nobody.
If its 50 k in the US, It should be around 54,000 in Canada or else just go and buy one in the US...too easy.
With the dollar where its at its definately cheaper to buy one down south anyway, so us Canadians should probably buy US Camaros anyway.:flag2:
Not quite that simple.

American dealers aren't allowed to sell a new car to Canadians. If you want to buy an American car it has to be used. You could get a broker to buy it for you (therefore making it 'used' even if he only picks it up and parks it), but then you have to pay their fee plus the import duties plus any applicable taxes. Thats assuming that they'll allow you to import it in the first place, which they might not (for some strange reason). It may be worth it for a ~$65k (CAD) car that sells for 50k in the US, but the savings won't be nearly as much as it first appears.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not quite that simple.

American dealers aren't allowed to sell a new car to Canadians. If you want to buy an American car it has to be used. You could get a broker to buy it for you (therefore making it 'used' even if he only picks it up and parks it), but then you have to pay their fee plus the import duties plus any applicable taxes. Thats assuming that they'll allow you to import it in the first place, which they might not (for some strange reason). It may be worth it for a ~$65k (CAD) car that sells for 50k in the US, but the savings won't be nearly as much as it first appears.
rite on DG and you've only scratched the surface
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdinger View Post
rite on DG and you've only scratched the surface
Uh, ok... whatever you say... Its easy and done all the time. You can bet I'll do it if there is more than 4k difference on msrp.
The only negative is a 6 mos deferral on warranty on new US veh in Canada. No "duties" on new, no "taxes" other than what you gotta pay at a Canadian dealer..so Big deal.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy from Hell View Post
Too true..... I think that's happening with used Nissan GTRs they are pricing 2009s at around $75k and surprise, surprise they aren't moving!!
The forces of free market economy will eventually work things out , offer and demand always worked >
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
I was talking with a GM employee last night and he says that he was told the price is going to be very close to $82,000 in Canada.
We get screwed price wise up here, so the states should be quite a bit cheaper.
Wow, that's a complete joke! Rather buy a Grand sport or hell a Z06 on employee pricing will be 82k. No matter how the dollar is we still get the shaft as these companies rake in money by the bag full

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Uh, ok... whatever you say... Its easy and done all the time. You can bet I'll do it if there is more than 4k difference on msrp.
The only negative is a 6 mos deferral on warranty on new US veh in Canada. No "duties" on new, no "taxes" other than what you gotta pay at a Canadian dealer..so Big deal.
If you say so
I've always believed in supporting Our Local Economy, who our friends work at or for
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #24
SSJK

Drives: TBD 2012
Quote:
I will be looking into this aswell. I get the employee pricing in Canada but if its that much cheaper in the States I will bring one up. Maybe even just an SS. I was under the understanding all cars needed to be 6 months old to come up.
SSJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #25
bowtie22

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Hopefully, the ZL1 will be reasonably priced, otherwise not many consumers will purchase it! Furthermore, the price of oil will have a bearing on sales here in North America, especially in Canada!

BTW, when will the ZL1 be available to the Canadian market?
bowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Talking AGREE TOTALLY...

Quote:
I know right? MPH not kilometers!
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Never said it didn't happen. But at its peak it was mainly vehicles with an MSRP of over $70k, often lots of cash on the hood, and we were trading at $0.10 over par. If I remember correctly, by the time all was said and done these folks saved something like 10 grand, maybe 15. The break even point (then) was supposed to be around 50k, but our dollar doesn't go as far as it did.

If the ZL1 is 82k in Canada, and under 55 in the US ... yeah, its a no brainer to buy it in the states. But if its anything like 50k US/60k CAN you might be better off trying to get a local dealer to knock a couple thousand off his price. Especially if our dollar is close (or less than) parity.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #28
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
honestly, GM is going to do a stupid price up here. If they want it to sell, it should begin around 60 tops. You can get brand new GT500s for 58k. I sure as hell would not pay 75k for a ZL1 when I can get a GT500 for 60k. They should be within a few grand of eachother
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote