Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
airsoftsoldrecn9

Drives: Crispy
Interest in starting open source project

Hello all, I am interested in starting an open source project with the 5th generation camaros, by modifying the DIC pages to include information on AFR, intake temperatures and pressures, fuel pressure, timing, engine load, and possibly torque and hp. Additionally I would like to find out ways of possibly programming the ECM by altering, air/fuel enrichment and timing tables. Of course this is just a start.

I am well aware of the ill effects which could occur if these things are done recklessly: bricking an ECU, damaging an engine, exhausting certain electrical hardware components (EEPROM).

The point of this thread is for gathering information on ways to tackle programming the ECM, trip computer, HUD, etc. Information on hardware, protocols and any prior attempts to this would be very much appreciated. Please feel free to share thoughts here.
airsoftsoldrecn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
It would be nice to be able to stream text into the HUD, like what the radio does when a new song starts playing from MP3.

If you can plug an OBDII reader into a laptop and get info, then the protocol and interface have already been defined, and if a programmer can change tune, then all the secrets are already on the table, it's just a matter of emulating this.

I have ran across rs232 to canbus interfaces for PC, so hardware wise, everything must exist already to start your project. Just have to interface then start sniffing and decoding packets?

Don't know how I would be able to contribute, but interest is there.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
airsoftsoldrecn9

Drives: Crispy
Definitely could start a list for things.

Think you may be referring to the OBDII PIDs which are used by all scan tools.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

However, manufacturers usually reserve some communication for their own purposes, and they are specific to certain vehicles. In the case for the Camaro, the DIC, and possibly some of the engine fuel management and timing management tables are not part of the OBDII protocols. This is where I think things are a bit fuzzy. Also there is the whole thing about read/write access. Reading data, no problem, but to tell the ECM to write data, I think something special is needed. (but hey this could be in the OBDII protocol someplace)

I think I would prefer to start on a PC rather than a micro-controller since I can have full flexibility with hardware (tons of normal memory to play with) and software (all the C libraries I will want or need for development).

Another thing is everything seems to be built around ELM327 as an interpreter/interface. So if you want to communicate between RS232 (or other serial coms) to the OBDII then this seems to be the way to do it. Every diagnostic trouble code reader uses this chip so I suppose starting there would be best. http://www.elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf
I have a bluetooth interfacing device which I am going to play around with using a telnet client like putty.

I will open a google code project as soon as I can for this.
airsoftsoldrecn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
rray

I just built a carpc to replace my Mylink NAV, but still need to install it. I used a Jetway NF9G-QM77 Industrial Mobile MOBO with I7-3612QM and 8G of 22nm PC1600 DDR3, so it's fast enough to keep up but only 35W. It's in a Voom2pc case (looks like an audio amp)

It's got ports. 3-RS232, 1-RS422/485, 4-USB3, 6-USB2, 1-GPIO, 2-RJ45, and a daughterboard header for expansion, so I can connect lots of devices. I also have a Scantool microOBD 200 device that goes on an obd2/phidget/tpms/gps kit I'm assembling from a guy on mp3car.com. The Phidget is an 8 analog in/8 digital in/8 digital out device for various projects I/O projects All the above is connected from USB.

Quote:
microOBD 200 is a quick and easy way to add OBD support to any embedded project. It is a complete OBD-II to UART interface in a DIP-24 form factor, designed for in-vehicle applications. microOBD 200 uses an enhanced version of the popular ELM327 command set, supports UART speeds up to 10 Mbps and is firmware upgradeable. Supports these protocols:

SAE J1850 PWM
SAE J1850 VPW
SAE J1939
ISO 9141-2
ISO 14230-4 (KWP 2000)
ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
ISO 11898 (raw CAN)
I also have an HD radio board, 16 digital in/16 digital out Phidget I/O, steering wheel control interface through a button resistance to programmable keystroke combinations device, and voice command controls too.

Here is the build thread of my previous carpc, which has similar functionality, in case you are interested in that sort of thing:

2012 Camaro In Dash PC Project
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
There was a member on here that was reprogramming the BCM and cluster but I don't think he had many interested people as you had to send the items to him to program. Think his screen name was GTPrix. Might want to hit him up. He might be able to help you jump start that project. As for programming the ECU, I don't understand what you want. There are already several programs out that will do exactly what you mentioned and tons of people that know how to use them. Seems like your going to reinvent the wheel with that one.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
rray, went through your whole carpc install. WOW!!! Amazing work!

That aside, I don't really have anything to contribute to this project, but I am looking forward to seeing where it goes, and hope something comes of it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
rray

Thanks, it was a fun project. I wanted to keep adding features, but traded in for the SS when a deal I could not resist came up. Now I get to start all over again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4