Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
So when I see your car I just pull the vin off the dash and call Onstar?

Most people on here are to cheap and then bitch and complain when something happens because they didn't prepare
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
You say this, but...

I work at BMW and most of our cars have "Comfort Access" which is the keyless proximity fob. Those get lost more often than regular keys because people don't have to pay much attention to them.
Also, the key is only "looked for" by the car when you hit the START button, and not anymore until you start the car again. So theoretically you could drop the key outside the car, get in, start it, and drive over the key and drive 1500 miles away. You'd only know the next morning when the car wouldn't open when you walked up to it.
Not so , once you drive or move away from the fob , it will sound an alarm
Infinity has it for at least 8years
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #17
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
As best I understand it, 2014s and above will have the "Key Fob" commands from the Onstar app for 5 years from date of purchase, even if they don't subscribe to Onstar. I use mine to remotely start my car from the office before heading out for the day. Makes the car nice and cool in those 100+ degree days. I did not subscribe to Onstar.
Two different things
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #18
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
That's why I keep OnStar 'active' for 6 months (May - Oct) and then 'suspend' it for 6 months (Nov - Apr). I have the lick / unlock app free for 5 years regardless, but I like the safe & sound plan while I'm hauling ass in the summer.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
I unlock mine from My iPhone all the time.

OPs ON Star is not activated so he does not have that option!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #20
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Justice View Post
That's why I keep OnStar 'active' for 6 months (May - Oct) and then 'suspend' it for 6 months (Nov - Apr). I have the lick / unlock app free for 5 years regardless, but I like the safe & sound plan while I'm hauling ass in the summer.
Nothing like a good lick app!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #21
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Justice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Nothing like a good lick app!!!
I was going to ask about that app... Where do you get one of those?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
As best I understand it, 2014s and above will have the "Key Fob" commands from the Onstar app for 5 years from date of purchase, even if they don't subscribe to Onstar. I use mine to remotely start my car from the office before heading out for the day. Makes the car nice and cool in those 100+ degree days. I did not subscribe to Onstar.
You have to use the app at least once during the free trial period, and then you are correct you can use it for 5 years from the purchase date without having to pay for Onstar services. It started with the 2014 model year.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #23
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

On a side note, for the MY16 you won't have to worry about it any more. The key fob doesn't have to leave your pocket, to unlock or start the car. Also as long as the key fob is in the car, you can't accidentally.
The issue with this is that in some cases, especially with a lot of Wi-Fi hotspots in the area, the key's signal can be boosted by the radio wave traffic. Ask my wife how we know.

Her key was in the house in our bedroom and at about 5am someone walked right up to it and opened the door. The key was about 30 feet away, normally it won't work if it's 3 feet away.

So now we keep her key on the other side of the house away from the car. I like having the keyless entry for her so she's not standing around searching her Bag of Many Things for 10 minutes waiting to be robbed, but it has its downsides too.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #24
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Early Camaros don't support the smartphone app, yet on-star still costs the same, it's stupid, half the features for the same money.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #25
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I just leave my spare keys in the house, I try not to rely on others to get me out of a jam.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #26
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I had a 2008 Nissan Altima and you couldn't lock the doors or the trunk with the fob inside.
I left my keys in my gym bag once, when I put it in the trunk and tried to close it to get it to lock it wouldn't, after slamming a few times I realized what was wrong. Nice feature.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #27
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
So when I see your car I just pull the vin off the dash and call Onstar?

Most people on here are to cheap and then bitch and complain when something happens because they didn't prepare
Only if they have your 4 digit pin#. Even when using the remote smartphone app, you have to enter the pin, even after logging in to your account, to unlock the doors.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #28
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Just press the "Config" button on your MyLink radio. Go to Vehicle Settings, then Power Door Locks, then Open Door Anti- Lockout and check the box.

This way, you MUST lock the door with the FOB and you'll never get locked out again.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote