Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: What would you get?
Ford Focus RS 31 18.90%
Honda Civic Type R 22 13.41%
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (one of the final ones) 8 4.88%
Subaru STI 26 15.85%
Volkswagen Golf R 41 25.00%
Something else? 36 21.95%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
If you had to move to a Sport Compact Car...what would you get?

I find that I might need to switch to a non-sports car soon for work-related reasons as well as overall utility in my daily life. This thread isn't about discussing that but about discussing cars.

Before my current '16 2SS, I was in a 2015 Audi S4 for a year and a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon for 7 years.

I think I could be "ok" with going back to a Sport Compact if I had to for work reasons (I will just buy a nicer house or something to make up for the sacrifice). From what I see, a lot of us on here came from the Sport Compact world.

If I have to do this, I want useable rear space and straight line power so that takes out cars like the BRZ and Miata (though a Miata could be my 3rd car someday). As I've also implied, Luxury brands are out as well which means no CLA45 AMG, Audi RS3 or the barf coming out of BMW these days.

Currently, I am leaning towards the VW Golf R. The Focus RS would typically be the choice but I find myself wanting something more live-able and the RS has a really rough ride. The Subaru STI would also be up there if not for the disappointing decision to keep on truckin' with the old 2.5l motor that has been available at this same power level for more than 12 years. I've put in a couple of dark horse picks too and would always be happy with suggestions.

I am only leaning towards the VW right now, my decision could change by the time this happens (could be as far out as this time next year).
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Tourenwagen

Drives: 2SS
In my opinion the Golf R is the best mix of sport, practicality and comfort. Ford may be putting out a faster car but Ive heard that people hate the seats and the high revving engine feels frantic. I've had 5 GTI's before and never had a problem with one of them and I modded most of them too. Stories about reliability problems are years old and just repeated along. My vote is definitely for the R.
Tourenwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourenwagen View Post
In my opinion the Golf R is the best mix of sport, practicality and comfort. Ford may be putting out a faster car but Ive heard that people hate the seats and the high revving engine feels frantic. I've had 5 GTI's before and never had a problem with one of them and I modded most of them too. Stories about reliability problems are years old and just repeated along. My vote is definitely for the R.
Yeah I had the same experience in my single year with the Audi...no reliability issues.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Having done a fair amount of research on all of these options before hypothetically settling on the Camaro, my vote would be to save around 10k and go with a GTI + tune. The Haldex AWD system in the R is FWD biased so ends up adding unnecessary weight for minimal performance gain. The LSD in the latest GTI should reduce understeer sufficiently at a fraction of the cost. You can easily reach R levels of power and torque from the GTI with a stage 1 tune as well. Happy shopping!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the BMW 228i could be a solid choice if you are looking to stay RWD. The OP isn't totally clear on what your needs are though. (I know you said no BMW, but not sure you have considered this one. Also the Golf R kind of rides the ragged edge of sport compact and German luxury, so the 228i doesn't seem too far removed.)
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Fiesta ST or new Miata for under 30k
In know the Miata isnt a compact but it's a very fun little sports car.

Hot hatches:
Golf R with DSG
Focus RS if manual is a must

Buddy of mine has a new STi and I'm not impressed for the price.
I had a MK7 GTI PP that I had a bad experience with. The clutch was weak and felt numb as did the steering. Stock power was meh. They do respond very well to tuning though.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
I voted for the Type R but a very close second for me would be the GTI (can you tell I like hatches lol). None would be bad choices I don't think. I was going to say RS3 until I saw that was out of the running. I'll say the obvious of go test drive and blah blah blah, either way you go good luck and keep us posted.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I've had 3 VWs, 2 of them '08+. My last was an '09 Wolfsburg Jetta M6. VWs are fine, up until about 60K+ miles. Then they become almost like BMWs, progressively more expensive to maintain and issues with electronics. But they are by far the most practical and fun to drive. Get one and trade it before the warranty runs out. That's what I did.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Is it crazy to suggest an E36 4 door M3?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO-RS View Post
Having done a fair amount of research on all of these options before hypothetically settling on the Camaro, my vote would be to save around 10k and go with a GTI + tune. The Haldex AWD system in the R is FWD biased so ends up adding unnecessary weight for minimal performance gain. The LSD in the latest GTI should reduce understeer sufficiently at a fraction of the cost. You can easily reach R levels of power and torque from the GTI with a stage 1 tune as well. Happy shopping!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the BMW 228i could be a solid choice if you are looking to stay RWD. The OP isn't totally clear on what your needs are though. (I know you said no BMW, but not sure you have considered this one. Also the Golf R kind of rides the ragged edge of sport compact and German luxury, so the 228i doesn't seem too far removed.)
My level of caring about FWD versus AWD is pretty high...even if the AWD system is FWD biased I still value it because AWD has saved me many times in bad weather (snow)

In terms of that BMW 228i, working in the Nonprofit world is fraught with hypocritical people judging you for buying anything that even appears expensive (they think we should work for free but at the same time, rent ain't free). I have been able to get away with it in the Camaro because those same people go all "merica" when they see it and don't realize the 2SS is relatively expensive. However, that is in my current role and I want to be the CEO which puts you more out there for public scrutiny. To be clear, I made most of my money in my prior career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Is it crazy to suggest an E36 4 door M3?
Actually not as crazy! Being that it would be a significantly older car, that would take the stigma away. My uncle actually has one and I drool over it whenever I visit him. But when a "civilian" sees it, they wouldn't care so much.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Audi TTRS. Even the standard TT is easy to punch up to 350 awhp. I have an old TT and it's surprising what you can fit in those things. (Like a full set of track tires.) But if not a TT, then I would go with the Golf R
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #12
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Audi TTRS. Even the standard TT is easy to punch up to 350 awhp. I have an old TT and it's surprising what you can fit in those things. (Like a full set of track tires.) But if not a TT, then I would go with the Golf R
He said in his post he needs usable back seat space.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Fiesta St all day

Won't be a better/more fun car for under 21k. For a compact car that can be driven everyday, stay function-able, and give you the most excitement around town there won't be a better new car out there. I challenge someone to find a better new car for the ST's price for a sport compact car.
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
My level of caring about FWD versus AWD is pretty high...even if the AWD system is FWD biased I still value it because AWD has saved me many times in bad weather (snow)

In terms of that BMW 228i, working in the Nonprofit world is fraught with hypocritical people judging you for buying anything that even appears expensive (they think we should work for free but at the same time, rent ain't free). I have been able to get away with it in the Camaro because those same people go all "merica" when they see it and don't realize the 2SS is relatively expensive. However, that is in my current role and I want to be the CEO which puts you more out there for public scrutiny. To be clear, I made most of my money in my prior career.
Fair points, thanks for the additional info! If you're looking for something that is AWD and exudes class without pomp, and fun without "boy racer", it seems like the Golf R is really your only choice. It's such a sleeper, most folks would just see a lowly Golf and not know the difference
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote