Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
super/turbo for DD

I'm taking a different look at this, I know quite a few of you are taking yours to the track on the weekend(every month or so for me), some of you are going to look for some 'stangs on the street. But what about those of use who aren't allowed to get the Camaro and our wifes get them?

She won't be able to handle 500+HP to the wheels, so i'm definitely not getting her the S/C, unless it can be turned on/off, and I'm not thinking that's possible. I'm thinking of doing the twin-turbo from APS if/when they come out with one, so the HP is in the high RPM range, isn't that correct? I've dealt with S/C on an old 350 before, but none of this newer technology.

This is definitely not a which 1 is better, it's which 1 do you think would suit my wife better?
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
I would say the turbo would be less touchy on the street in the low rpm range.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Warpick

Drives: Rust bucket and a jalopy
Unless she can handle high horsepower, just get her an intake and exhaust. It'll boost the power and sound of her car.

Both turbo and supercharging will give a lot of power that might potentially give her more then she can handle.
Warpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
It really all depends on the application. For the roots (Eaton) style that was in my 04 cobra, if you didn't get into it, you weren't into boost .... Also todays turbochargers can spool up pretty quick (not as instant, but you would be suprised .. it isn't all on the top end unless you build it that way).

Crowley
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
I guess the first question is: If your wife can't handle it, why are you risking putting her in danger if she pushed the pedal too far? If you only want the extra power when YOU drive it, you can control output with a throttle stop or add nitrous to satisfy your immediate need for speed.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Maybe your installer/tuner could come up with a "valet mode" that holds the waste gates wide open.

But I think speedster is right that nitrous might be the way to go in your situation.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I guess the first question is: If your wife can't handle it, why are you risking putting her in danger if she pushed the pedal too far? If you only want the extra power when YOU drive it, you can control output with a throttle stop or add nitrous to satisfy your immediate need for speed.
That's the reason I was asking, I wouldn't want her to get her. If the s/c could be disabled, I would definitely not have a problem with going with one. Throttle stop? I welded one of those on my nephews go-cart so it couldn't go over a certain speed, I could do the same thing with a programmer, correct?
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitath View Post
She won't be able to handle 500+HP to the wheels, so i'm definitely not getting her the S/C, unless it can be turned on/off, and I'm not thinking that's possible.
you need this S/C

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitath View Post
That's the reason I was asking, I wouldn't want her to get her. If the s/c could be disabled, I would definitely not have a problem with going with one. Throttle stop? I welded one of those on my nephews go-cart so it couldn't go over a certain speed, I could do the same thing with a programmer, correct?
Hey Epitath -

Programmers: Someone will make a programmer that can have two or more preset modes to control the LS3/L99 ECM. Just a matter of when. Diesels do it right now.

Throttle Stops: Dedenbear make some really cool controllable throttle stops (even two stage) so you could always go that route.

Nitrous: Easy to control either by the valve (just on/off) or a sequential controller.

Turbos: The lowest you can reasonably REGULATE turbos is down around 3.5 psi. Below that they usually have some level of boost creep, but that's pretty low boost.

Superchargers: Other than Spike's "Mad Max" version you can't really disable a supercharger short of pulling the belt off. ATI makes a clutched blower 'Superpulley', but that only is for freewheeling in one direction NOT on-off. One possible alternative is a blower with a SEPARATE 6 to 12 rib serpentine belt (as opposed to the cogged belt most people associate with a blower). That belt can be installed or removed in about 30 seconds with just a 3/4" open end wrench. [One note about this if the blower has a bypass valve, no sweat, if it doesn't, you will have a very noticeable loss of power without the blower belt on]

Just some more possibilities to contemplate. Enjoy yourself either way and keep your wife safe !!!

Last edited by speedster; 05-11-2009 at 09:33 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I agree with speedster here.

If you want the car to have more power but not "get away from you" power then I'd stick to some less costly bolt-ons and leave it at that.

However if you have to go FI, then a single turbo set up will be more tame than a supercharger. Not by much though.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
If you go with a mild amount of boost, and your wife is somewhat responsible, either should be fine. You can get a smaller pulley for a S/C or a small volume turbo and only go with 6 psi of boost, make good gains in power and not snap her neck if she were to inadvertantly get on it passing someone on the freeway.

Twin Turbo's would not be the way to go. Most TT setups are designed to get power from over idle to WOT. A single turbo or S/C with a small pulley would be fine IMO.