Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
New and Improved Trifecta tune software available.

This is very cool, and its nice to see an "official" like thread about it started by you.

My question is this. In the othe thread, a few of the guys the tried it said even while driving it seemed as if the ghost cam was activated, because they felt it in their driving, and the car would seem to "lurch" a bit while cruising (if I remember that correctly!).

That makes me a bit worried that it is being activated in conditions other than idle.

Are you confident this only occurs while sitting still and idling? Or can it also happen when you are driving? (Say, your crusing at a low rpm)
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
VinceTrifecta

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS4 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This is very cool, and its nice to see an "official" like thread about it started by you.

My question is this. In the othe thread, a few of the guys the tried it said even while driving it seemed as if the ghost cam was activated, because they felt it in their driving, and the car would seem to "lurch" a bit while cruising (if I remember that correctly!).

That makes me a bit worried that it is being activated in conditions other than idle.

Are you confident this only occurs while sitting still and idling? Or can it also happen when you are driving? (Say, your crusing at a low rpm)
We only modify the "idle cam phasing table". My guess is the "lurching", is the ECM bouncing back and forth between the idle cam phasing table and the cruise cam phasing table. I don't think anybody has sent me a log of this, nor raised it as an issue. So far, unless I've missed something (which is very possible), people have said the ghost cam tune works as expected.

But if any of the testers are experiencing this I'd like to see a log of it.
1994 Chevrolet Impala SS NON-TURBO
VinceTrifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
are you still tweaking the ghost cam tune? i think one of the guys testing it wanted it to be more aggressive. have you done that already?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
VinceTrifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
are you still tweaking the ghost cam tune? i think one of the guys testing it wanted it to be more aggressive. have you done that already?
This is one of those things that will be subjective, like automatic transmission shift firmness. Some people will want it to sound like it's running on 2 cylinders, and others will want it to be only slightly "lopey".

We have a lot of control over where we set the cams, so we can go from mild all the way to wild. We'll rely on customers to tell us whether what we've given them is aggressive enough.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Interested in sound clips when available.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
VinceTrifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
Interested in sound clips when available.
Yeah, I *really* wish I had one of these cars. I could record what my HHR SS sounds like with ghost cam tune, but it's not really quite the same. 4 cylinders don't sound very cool with lope to them. It just sounds like it's missing a couple spark plugs. LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
just for the sake of asking although it has been asked a hundre thousand times, but just to clarify. We should see or expect no engine harm with the ghost cam if used properly right?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
VinceTrifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
just for the sake of asking although it has been asked a hundre thousand times, but just to clarify. We should see or expect no engine harm with the ghost cam if used properly right?
I really couldn't tell you since nobody has tested it over a long period of time. But let's look at some data points:

1. Aftermarket cam makers deliberately grind their cams to increase valve overlap to help top end power at the expense of idle instability, manifold vacuum and low RPM power (which is what causes "cammed" engines to have a chunky idle). If cam profiles with additional overlap were "harmful" you wouldn't see companies A) Selling aftermarket cams with more overlap in them, and B) People installing them

2. The Mustang 5.0 guys appear to be doing this without any issue.

3. During cold-startup the ECM does almost exactly the same thing a ghost-cam tune does to warm the cats up quickly. If this was harmful to the engine, you wouldn't think the factory would do it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta View Post
I really couldn't tell you since nobody has tested it over a long period of time. But let's look at some data points:

1. Aftermarket cam makers deliberately grind their cams to increase valve overlap to help top end power at the expense of idle instability, manifold vacuum and low RPM power (which is what causes "cammed" engines to have a chunky idle). If cam profiles with additional overlap were "harmful" you wouldn't see companies A) Selling aftermarket cams with more overlap in them, and B) People installing them

2. The Mustang 5.0 guys appear to be doing this without any issue.

3. During cold-startup the ECM does almost exactly the same thing a ghost-cam tune does to warm the cats up quickly. If this was harmful to the engine, you wouldn't think the factory would do it.
Thanks for the clarification Vince
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta View Post
This is one of those things that will be subjective, like automatic transmission shift firmness. Some people will want it to sound like it's running on 2 cylinders, and others will want it to be only slightly "lopey".

We have a lot of control over where we set the cams, so we can go from mild all the way to wild. We'll rely on customers to tell us whether what we've given them is aggressive enough.
So it will be custom set to suite the customer's wants then. I had asked this question in the other thread, but don't think anyone could give a definite answer.

Again that is awsome!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
VinceTrifecta

Quote:
So it will be custom set to suite the customer's wants then. I had asked this question in the other thread, but don't think anyone could give a definite answer.

Again that is awsome!
Yes - we'll send it out with a "default" setting based on the feedback we've received from the testers and if people want more, or less, just let us know and we'll follow up.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
KMPrenger

New and Improved Trifecta tune software available.

Now for the quick recap for those of you who might have missed it:

Vince with Trifecta tuning recently had a Camaro V6 on his dyno for additional testing. What he came away with was an additional 13 rwhp on a stock car with automatic tune running 89 octane gas.

(he posted a dynosheet but it has since been removed since the thread was removed)

Previously, it was found that on a stock car, little to no extra power could be had with a tune and it was really only good for modded cars. Automatic cars could opt for firmer shifting but thats another aspect of the tune. He achieved these results apparantly (from what I can remember) by altering the cam phase tables. Another thing to note about this tune is that these results only take place under WOT (from what Vince has said) but some people who have since recieved the update have said their car did feel great running the new tune.

Last thing, is these changes have been incorporated into all his tunes, and is free of charge for those that already have the tune (and a way to upload it to their vehicle of course).

Also, is the availability of the "ghost cam" tune which is an option and can be customized to the wants of the customer, to read more about this tune from its beginnings check here.

Again, just wanted to get this info out there for those that may have missed it!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Now for the quick recap for those of you who might have missed it:

Vince with Trifecta tuning recently had a Camaro V6 on his dyno for additional testing. What he came away with was an additional 13 rwhp on a stock car with automatic tune running 89 octane gas.

(he posted a dynosheet but it has since been removed since the thread was removed)

Previously, it was found that on a stock car, little to no extra power could be had with a tune and it was really only good for modded cars. Automatic cars could opt for firmer shifting but thats another aspect of the tune. He achieved these results apparantly (from what I can remember) by altering the cam phase tables. Another thing to note about this tune is that these results only take place under WOT (from what Vince has said) but some people who have since recieved the update have said their car did feel great running the new tune.

Last thing, is these changes have been incorporated into all his tunes, and is free of charge for those that already have the tune (and a way to upload it to their vehicle of course).

Also, is the availability of the "ghost cam" tune which is an option and can be customized to the wants of the customer, to read more about this tune from its beginnings check here.

Again, just wanted to get this info out there for those that may have missed it!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
You should go ahead and mention the part about the tune and warranty. Lol