Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
How much freon do we need for a refill?

Car is a 2011 with almost 80k.

A/C isn't consistently blowing cold. Probably low on freon.

How much do we need for a refill?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
If its low on freon then there's a leak. That needs to be addressed prior to filling it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Dmpsix

Really?

How often should freon be refilled as a rule of thumb?

I figured the miles and age of this car would cause it to need more freon or something
Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
My 2011 w/136k miles still blows ice cold. It sounds like you do have a leak.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Really?

How often should freon be refilled as a rule of thumb?

I figured the miles and age of this car would cause it to need more freon or something
LOL, should never need to be refilled unless there is a leak. Like stated its a leak somewhere get it checked
Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Dmpsix

Yup, definitely a leak! Thanks everyone.

Getting her fixed today! (:
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Car is a 2011 with almost 80k.

A/C isn't consistently blowing cold. Probably low on freon.

How much do we need for a refill?
I'd say Zero. Unless these cars are any different than others i have worked on recently, you should be using 134-A refrigerant. Freon is no longer used. It should state the coolant type on a sticker within the engine compartment.

That being said, your AC refill kit will come with a gauge which will allow you to see how full/empty you are. Generally i use no more than one small can (pint size). Your car is only 5 years old so unless you have an apparent leak i'm guessing that would do the trick. If you do suspect a leak, you can buy 134-A with a stop leak additive.
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 View Post
I'd say Zero. Unless these cars are any different than others i have worked on recently, you should be using 134-A refrigerant. Freon is no longer used. It should state the coolant type on a sticker within the engine compartment.

That being said, your AC refill kit will come with a gauge which will allow you to see how full/empty you are. Generally i use no more than one small can (pint size). Your car is only 5 years old so unless you have an apparent leak i'm guessing that would do the trick. If you do suspect a leak, you can buy 134-A with a stop leak additive.
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POST ^^ AT ALL!!!

NEVER use any kind of A/C filling bottle with stop leak or sealer in it. This will destroy all the components in the entire system. If the system is not blowing cold there is a problem. It could be electrical or mechanical. Buying a can of sealer and adding some will not "do the trick". Pbeyer2010 has No Clue what he is talking about. The A/C system has a specific type and amount of refrigerant required to operate properly. My advice is to have a professional shop trained on A/C diagnose the issue. The A/C system on the GEN5 Camaro is basic and can easily be repaired.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POST ^^ AT ALL!!!

NEVER use any kind of A/C filling bottle with stop leak or sealer in it. This will destroy all the components in the entire system. If the system is not blowing cold there is a problem. It could be electrical or mechanical. Buying a can of sealer and adding some will not "do the trick". Pbeyer2010 has No Clue what he is talking about. The A/C system has a specific type and amount of refrigerant required to operate properly. My advice is to have a professional shop trained on A/C diagnose the issue. The A/C system on the GEN5 Camaro is basic and can easily be repaired.

Easy killer , I said "you can buy 134-a with a stop leak additive". I never advocated for or against this. I also said a simple AC refill kit comes with a gauge so he can check the level of refrigerant in the system. Perhaps you'd rather he try to buy/put freon in his system.....

No clue what I'm talking about ? I am hurt

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 View Post
Easy killer , I said "you can buy 134-a with a stop leak additive". I never advocated for or against this. I also said a simple AC refill kit comes with a gauge so he can check the level of refrigerant in the system. Perhaps you'd rather he try to buy/put freon in his system.....

No clue what I'm talking about ? I am hurt

This was not an attack on you. And I never said for him to add freon to the system without knowledge. My advice was to have a professional shop diagnose the issue and repair the failure.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Yup, try to never use those cans with leak sealer and a hose. While it may work it can lead to other problems. If you are low on refrigerant you have a leak...plain and simple. Plus if you do have a leak now the system has a positive atmosphere, a/c systems should have a negative pressure reading. If you don't do it right you can destroy other components later on down the road. If you don't understand a/c then take it to an a/c shop.

*edit

OP did you indeed get you car fixed? What was the problem?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote