Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #57
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Edelbrock also has one in the works
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #58
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
Sorry - I was talking about parasitic loss being close to each other. I know the KB is a twin screw and the Mag is a roots hybrid. I did my research on them also and came away with Lingenfelter doing my car because of the TVS that they use and the reputation that they have. I also love the whine of the TVS, I don't care for a loud whine like the KB or others as this will be my daily driver.
got you
Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #59
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Magnacharger is available now. I'm impressed that lingenfelter is using it, they have been around tuning camaros for a very long time.

Whipple and Techco will be released shortly.

Kenne Bell is the unknown. I have called multiple times and always busy. I sent an email requesting specs and the response I received was "Yes we are working on one." They gave no further info.

The reason I would not choose a centrifugal or turbo is that both rely on engine rpm to spin up. So that at low rpms they make much less boost. If you look at the graph of their torque and horsepower curves you will see that they start off lower and peak very rapidly as the rpm increases. A roots or twinscrew has a much flatter curve because they are belt driven and produce boost even at low rpm.

That being said a turbo is capable of huge amounts of power. But more work is involved in the install.

A twinscrew can be bolt on. No need to drill the factory oil system. Save your parts and the car can be put back to stock.

I'm not knocking any system, just be aware of how the vehicle will drive after modification. It depends more on how you will use the system than peak horse power claims. Kenne Bell's website has tons of info in the FAQ section.

Remember boost doesn't destroy an engine, consistent excess rpm does. That is where the inertia is created that destroys engine and drivetrain components.
I would go ahead and say you are a bit off there. While rpm plays a role, heat and improper tuning will kill a motor a lot faster. Lean run conditions with detonation and overheating will play a much larger factor.

Turbos have come a long way in the last 20 or so years. Properly built, I would lay cash down on the turbo car making more power and making it where it counts.

I never drag raced at 2000 rpm anyways.
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #60
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post
I would go ahead and say you are a bit off there. While rpm plays a role, heat and improper tuning will kill a motor a lot faster. Lean run conditions with detonation and overheating will play a much larger factor.

Turbos have come a long way in the last 20 or so years. Properly built, I would lay cash down on the turbo car making more power and making it where it counts.

good point
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #61
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7camaro View Post
yea i know kb is twin screw. I love how the techco sounds like a centri at idle, but still has the twin screw whine
And you said they sound gay.....
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #62
ls7camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
yea i know, the srt8 video does, but the corvette vids sound a lot better
ls7camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #63
ls7camaro

also im not going to just be running 6psi rather like 10-12psi, so how much more whine would that give the tvs2300 and the techco
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #64
69 Camaro 09

Drives: 69 Camaro, 010 2SSRS
I would imagine the techo would be SCREAMING, but i only know what i hear in videos
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #65
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Camaro 09 View Post
I would imagine the techo would be SCREAMING, but i only know what i hear in videos
Its hard to tell on the vids, that why i was asking the other guy if he heard them in person cause they sound great in person.

Dont worry we are going to meet sometime with all the socal meets. Then you can hear how it sounds. We might become S/C buddies hehe lol
Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 AM   #66
ls7camaro

looks like im probably going with techco after finding out how quiet the tvs2300 really is. They have the ls3 corvette system available, couldn't i technically get that for the camaro and just put a cold air intake on it?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #67
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
looks like im probably going with techco after finding out how quiet the tvs2300 really is. They have the ls3 corvette system available, couldn't i technically get that for the camaro and just put a cold air intake on it?
Why would you get the Corvette kit from techco when they're about to release the Camaro kit?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #68
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Its much more difficult than that, they special make all the runners and everything for the cars. Just gotta wait some time until they come out. I cant wait for mine to be finished.

Also the corvette is a bit different with the pulley system. Cause of how tight everything is in the corvette. They love working on the camaro because there is so much space.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #69
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post

I agree with everything you said.

I did not mention the tune because I considered that part of a proper install. Yes a bad air to fuel ratio can really damage a motor. No argument there.

Turbos are great systems. No one drag races at low rpms. So in this situation a turbo or centrifugal will make great power.

I intend to use my vehicle as a daily driver. So I think a twin screw or roots will be better for me. You know more forgiving if you're accidentally in the wrong gear / low rpm. Passing at relatively low speeds in DC traffic.

Funny you mention the improper tune, because that is what concerns me the most. One of the things I really like about KB is they sell the tune with their system and they don't allow other tuners to access their program.

I do not have experience with most of the "tuners" I see advertising performance gains. I am a little concerned about what training these individuals actually have. Before I get flamed, there are those reputable tuners that have been around a long time and there are some fly by nighters. Most well known tuners are beyond my budget. Lingenfelter I can possibly do.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #70
Fast SS

Drives: 2004 416CI Pontiac GTO
Go big cube and TT setup.

The large cubes will get you a great 60ft with the low end torque and once the turbo's spool up you will get that top end you need for a great 1/4th run. Hell throw on a nice single stage 50 shot of N2O for a little extra help off the line.

That is the best of both worlds....

Most people who throw on an FI application fail to also adjust the drivetrain appropriately so they end up running mid 11's with 125+ trap times. A good run is mostly in the 60ft so it is important to get your beast to hook up.

So, I am wondering if APS is working on a TT kit?
Fast SS is offline   Reply With Quote