Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Your rpms are way to high. Try 1000 and mash the gas. Any decent track your spinning will be minimal.

You can also drive around the water box then back the rear tires in to burnout. Driving through the water box with radial street tires will only drag water onto the track and ensure you spin.
Yup. I drove around the water box and just did a little burnout to clean off the tires. No smoke. Maybe they just didn't have the track prepared because mashing the pedal (even at 1K RPM) would've spun something fierce. I'll admit that later in the day when I really tried easing out of the hole, my times worsened.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Drag radials will def help in the traction dept. Will you be more prone to breaking something..... very marginally. The auto is soft on drivetrain parts. Nothing I would worry about but it could always happen. A 20" drag radial would also help you if you don't mind driving around on those.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed
rpm

11syn3rgy I am going to the track next weekend for the first time this year ....I don't want to hijack the thread but i want to ask jamie what rpm i should start at on nitto nt05r with jre street brawler and a eaton locker
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #32
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
11syn3rgy I am going to the track next weekend for the first time this year ....I don't want to hijack the thread but i want to ask jamie what rpm i should start at on nitto nt05r with jre street brawler and a eaton locker
Since day 1 I've always launched my car at 1000 rpm. Any higher and it always spun. I think part of it is the extremely steep first gear the 6l80e posses.

Your 6 speed is a different game though. I wouldn't know what to start at.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Drag radials will def help in the traction dept. Will you be more prone to breaking something..... very marginally. The auto is soft on drivetrain parts. Nothing I would worry about but it could always happen. A 20" drag radial would also help you if you don't mind driving around on those.
I really appreciate your advice. You clearly know what the heck you are doing with how flippin fast your Camaro is?

Last question. Which brand of drag radials would you recommend with my set up and where should I buy them? I'm really fine with used ones too but who knows when those come up for sale? The classified section on this forum is great, but not sure I wanna watch it every single day.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
I really appreciate your advice. You clearly know what the heck you are doing with how flippin fast your Camaro is?

Last question. Which brand of drag radials would you recommend with my set up and where should I buy them? I'm really fine with used ones too but who knows when those come up for sale? The classified section on this forum is great, but not sure I wanna watch it every single day.

Thanks!
I know u r asking J but McCormick racing is the best price on M/T's. ck the others for the nitto's. Summit, Jegs, Ebay.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:

Thanks!
Depends what size wheel? I had great luck with the M & H 275 drag radial in an 18". I've also done well experimenting with the 295 17" Mickey Thompson. In a 20 the new MT would prob be better than the 555r. But without huge power anyone would be beneficial and work as equally as well. Whatever you can get the best deal on.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #36
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Quote:

Thanks!
With your mods I would look into the 18" 555r's . They are perfect for a bolt-on car. I was able to go 12.2 with the same mods as yourself. And you can drive to the track with them on. If you were closer I would of given you an awesome deal on my used 555r's ( Only used 1 season).
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
nyny69

Quote:
Depends what size wheel? I had great luck with the M & H 275 drag radial in an 18". I've also done well experimenting with the 295 17" Mickey Thompson. In a 20 the new MT would prob be better than the 555r. But without huge power anyone would be beneficial and work as equally as well. Whatever you can get the best deal on.
He don't need no M & H retard. He's bolt-on. A bolt-on car is fine with 555R's. They will last a lot longer
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #38
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
With your mods I would look into the 18" 555r's . They are perfect for a bolt-on car. I was able to go 12.2 with the same mods as yourself. And you can drive to the track with them on. If you were closer I would of given you an awesome deal on my used 555r's ( Only used 1 season).
Stop being selfish and just give them to him!! I heard your money tree is blooming quite nicely this year!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #39
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
He don't need no M & H retard. He's bolt-on. A bolt-on car is fine with 555R's. They will last a lot longer

Listen, 2 10 second passes still makes you my biotch!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #40
nyny69

Quote:
Stop being selfish and just give them to him!! I heard your money tree is blooming quite nicely this year!!
Until my wife helped herself to it for mother's day
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #41
nyny69

Quote:
Let's not open Pandora's box now. We're trying to help a bolt-on car, not a 9s car
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
You guys are funny! I really appreciate all of the great advice from all of you! If anyone knows of a decent rear set of drag radials. I'm probably game. The damn drag race addiction may have just started. This car WILL have a blower of some type in the not-so distant future. Good times!!

Tags
dot, racing, slicks