Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
OEM HEadunit is LOCKED, Does anyone know about this and entering a code?

Super complex build for my audio and I retained the OEM radio guts with a custom made harness in the trunk. My screen now shows LOCKED. There is no CODE when I bought the car or a procedure outlined how to unlock it. There are a number of codes on the radio decals but I am trying to figure out what prompts I need to use to enable me to enter the code.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I'm not sure if this pertains to the Camaro but most new cars can only be unlocked by the dealer. The newer anti-theft radios no longer use codes but instead are vin locked and have to be programmed from the dealer to get them to read the vin again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I'm not sure if this pertains to the Camaro but most new cars can only be unlocked by the dealer. The newer anti-theft radios no longer use codes but instead are vin locked and have to be programmed from the dealer to get them to read the vin again.
Correct answer.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
55Designs

Thanks for the replies my Porsche and BMW still use codes unless its a German car thing still. Anyways what tool or device must be used to reprogram the radio on the Camaro? If there is a specific tool please tell me the name so I can call around and see who has one. I am not dropping my car off at the dealer for this since I have a full white leather interior now and the techs will for sure trash it. I dont mind waiting for the dealer to do it if its a quick process.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Americonium

Drives: 2010 RS LT2 Olympic White
It's a quick process, they just have to plug into the obdII with the GM bit writer (don't know the actual tool name) and turn the radio back on. It cost me $50 bucks back in 2005. Not sure what they charge now, but the service manager came to the parking lot, no need for it to go into the filthy garage. Good luck.
Americonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
55Designs

Got it done today at a local dealer and their service was amazing. They took me right in and took extra special care. Took about and hour and we paid $108 for the upload so I am happy now that my OEM Bluetooth and Onstar/Nav work with my custom sound system.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
When are we gonna see your set up?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
When are we gonna see your set up?
Soon just wrapping up minor stuff and the complicated head unit I decided to use is causing major tuning issues. PM me if your around this weekend and want to hook up.