Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Harleydave

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM/Gray
Pfadt spring length question

Just want to make sure everything is right. Pfadt lowering springs for 2012 Camaro SS. THe free length of the rear pfadt spring is 1/2" longer than the stock spring. Whereas the fronts were actually shorter than the stock ones. I'm assuming this is due to the number of coils and spring rate. Just seems weird installing a longer spring to lower the car. Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
ronniels3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydave View Post
Just want to make sure everything is right. Pfadt lowering springs for 2012 Camaro SS. THe free length of the rear pfadt spring is 1/2" longer than the stock spring. Whereas the fronts were actually shorter than the stock ones. I'm assuming this is due to the number of coils and spring rate. Just seems weird installing a longer spring to lower the car. Thanks
Im having the same issue with my hotchkis lowering springs
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Camwow

Drives: Camaro
Does anybody have an answer to this? I noticed this too last night when installing the rear pfadt lowering springs. I was able to get the stock rear springs out without a spring compressor and am now having issues getting the pfadt lowering springs on as they are a bit longer than stock. Does anybody have a solution to this or is a spring compressor now the only solution?
Camwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
It is right. Pfadt rear springs have extra coils so that the same springs can be used on the SS and V6 cars. The V6 rear shocks can extend farther than the SS so the extra coils prevent the springs from coming out of the perches when the car is lifted. It will in no way effect the final ride height of the car, they have been that way for years.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camwow View Post
Does anybody have an answer to this? I noticed this too last night when installing the rear pfadt lowering springs. I was able to get the stock rear springs out without a spring compressor and am now having issues getting the pfadt lowering springs on as they are a bit longer than stock. Does anybody have a solution to this or is a spring compressor now the only solution?
if no compressor is available...
place the bottom of the shock in a crack on the driveway or sidewalk, so it won't slide around,
push down on the upper mount with both hands using your weight,
find some one to thread the nut a few turns.

wear eye protection in case your helper doesn't get enough threads on before you let up on the mount.
FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote