Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #85
cjon9657

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Send a message via MSN to cjon9657
If anyone watched the youtube video the chief engineer of the Camaro talking about the new Z28 to magazine editors he did clearly say the Camaro Z28 will not be for everyone. I agree people see the price and freak out but if you knew the performance you are getting and what its capable of, the price should not matter.
cjon9657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #86
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
This is a nutual question. I'm not defending the price either way. I'm Just curious as to folks thoughts. What do you feel the price of the Z/28 should had come in?
Honestly, IMO Chevrolet would have to take out a trim level in order for a Z/28 to survive if they reduce it. But at $75k, it can exist since there wouldn't be many owners. I'm curious to know the sales of the 1LE compared to ZL1. The Z/28 price tag should have been priced above the ZL1. The base ZL1 is what, $54k? A stripped Z/28 should have been maybe $65-67k?

$20k more over a ZL1 is insane with none of the comforts, (i.e speakers, NAV, etc) and yes I get it, the Z/28 is a track car and if you want comforts get a ZL1. But this is ridiculous. I grew up where the Z-28 was cool/great whatever term you want to use. It was affordable and obviously reliable, I still see alot of them to this day.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #87
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Honestly, IMO Chevrolet would have to take out a trim level in order for a Z/28 to survive if they reduce it. But at $75k, it can exist since there wouldn't be many owners. I'm curious to know the sales of the 1LE compared to ZL1. The Z/28 price tag should have been priced above the ZL1. The base ZL1 is what, $54k? A stripped Z/28 should have been maybe $65-67k?

$20k more over a ZL1 is insane with none of the comforts, (i.e speakers, NAV, etc) and yes I get it, the Z/28 is a track car and if you want comforts get a ZL1. But this is ridiculous. I grew up where the Z-28 was cool/great whatever term you want to use. It was affordable and obviously reliable, I still see alot of them to this day.
I completely agree. Nobody will 100% agree about the price. Although this is a forum where us camaro owners are supposed to state our opinion, everyone freaks out if you say it's too much.
This car really is awesome, my only disappointment is that it costs much more than the GT500 but it would lose against it in a 1/4 mile. I know it's a track car and not a drag car but in the interview of Al when the Z/28 was first released to the public and he said that they wanted to build a car that could completely Annihilate any car that ford could put out on the street. With that said, you would think it would beat it at everything. Just my opinion, if you guys don't like it then that's a real bummer.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #88
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
$75K is not too much if you scale 1969 salary's with 1969 car prices to 2014 salary's. So if you knock down $220K a year then it's not too much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
...it's all relative as they say, right? I can't do the math...an economics/cpa major could sort it out on an even scale I surmise and show the similarity as you suggest. All I know is it costs a boat load and I had a allocation...but it's over my head.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #89
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
I imagine the reason for the $75K (instead of $65K) MSRP is the design team's refusal to compromise. I'd love to know GMs cost for the CCBs and MultiMatic shocks alone. I surely do empathize with the pain of someone who can't make the stretch, as I've been there many times.

That being said, I'm thrilled they went hard-core an refused to water down the car. Other companies -- like AMG with the C63 Black Series -- make the track goodies optional. Those cars -- w/out the track and aero packages -- don't seem to be holding their value as well as the full-bore versions of the car...
Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #90
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
A little late to the discussion, but it is definitely disappointing. Gm has been promising a super charged, fully warrantied track car since 2007, and the best they have come up with is stripped down ss, with a very weak ls7 motor, that cannot be modified without blowing it up. They needed to stop playing games and dropped a god damn ls9 in this car. Everyone else is dropping 600+hp motor in their cars for less. Seriously, if I had 75 grand lying around, a z28 is the last car I'm looking at.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #91
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
^Really???
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #92
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
To me, it's time to use the "B" word. I think the Z/28 is about the balance between all components. The tires, suspension, brakes, and engine are designed to work together to optimize performance. The car is better than most of the people who will drive it. I have no plans to enhance engine output until I can prove that I can take the car to it's limits on a consistent basis. Until then, what's the point of having more output?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #93
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
A little late to the discussion, but it is definitely disappointing. Gm has been promising a super charged, fully warrantied track car since 2007, and the best they have come up with is stripped down ss, with a very weak ls7 motor, that cannot be modified without blowing it up. They needed to stop playing games and dropped a god damn ls9 in this car. Everyone else is dropping 600+hp motor in their cars for less. Seriously, if I had 75 grand lying around, a z28 is the last car I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
^Really???
+1

Scratching my head on that one.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #94
joe h

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
^Really???
Yeah, really. The car is a far cry of it was originally envisioned to be. Glad I never waited. A junk motor, mounted on the same frame.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #95
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Yeah, really. The car is a far cry of it was originally envisioned to be. Glad I never waited. A junk motor, mounted on the same frame.
I don't think you have any idea how many engineers you just degraded and insulted without posting any empirical data to support such a harsh claim. Or perhaps you do. Either way, as a person with a Z/28 on order, I would be most interested in knowing more about the "junk motor" so I can give serious consideration to canceling my order, as I certainly have no desire to own any car with a "junk motor," much less a $75,000 monument to my automotive ignorance.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #96
joe h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
I don't think you have any idea how many engineers you just degraded and insulted without posting any empirical data to support such a harsh claim. Or perhaps you do. Either way, as a person with a Z/28 on order, I would be most interested in knowing more about the "junk motor" so I can give serious consideration to canceling my order, as I certainly have no desire to own any car with a "junk motor," much less a $75,000 monument to my automotive ignorance.
It has very weak cylinder walls. So don't mod it, don't run it hard when the engine is cold, and change the oil often(like after every hard run.) Otherwise have fun.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #97
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
It has very weak cylinder walls. So don't mod it, don't run it hard when the engine is cold, and change the oil often(like after every hard run.) Otherwise have fun.
In engineering and science we need data. Antidotal claims are not data. Such claims are fine, but they represent a hypothesis. Do you have data, or a hypothesis? Please show the data, especially the data that elevates your warning beyond the statistical norms for failure to be expected with any engine or mechanical device.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #98
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I guess you're late enough to have missed the ZL1. It sounds exactly like what you want and it's not even $75k.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote