Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
What are my options for Sirius subscription?

Hi,

I have Sirius now with a stand alone unit in my current car. I was really hoping to get away from the stand alone units when I got the Camaro. I get tired of the cigerette lighte thing. Of course, it will come with XM, with the option of paying extra for best of sirius, but I really don't feel like I should have to do this since they are mergered. I would have thought that after a year of being mergered, they would be making radios that work for both xm and sirius. Doesn't seem to be the case. Is this really my only option right now?

I would switch out the radio, but it looks like it's going to be hard with the current console setup. Is there anything I can buy to install inside the car somewhere to make the radio work for sirius?

Thanks,
Sean
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
since sirius and XM merging they are starting to share channels, depending on what you want to listen too it may already be on the XM that is included in the car
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I looked into doing the swap of the XM brain with a Sirius brain. They offer this for MANY GM cars. However, all the music stations are now merged, so the music programming you get on both is identical, since I prefer Howard Stern I will have to pay for the Best of Sirius package to get the talk channels, but honestly thats cheaper than doing the conversion, its not worth it. Its a few bucks extra. and probably within the next year they will fully merge everything, and then buying that box would have been a waste.

I will be contacting Sirius about just transferring my subscription to the Camaro, or possibly if they will do the Camaro as a secondary unit (like now if you pay full price monthly for a subscription you can add a second for $6.95).
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I looked into doing the swap of the XM brain with a Sirius brain. They offer this for MANY GM cars. However, all the music stations are now merged, so the music programming you get on both is identical, since I prefer Howard Stern I will have to pay for the Best of Sirius package to get the talk channels, but honestly thats cheaper than doing the conversion, its not worth it. Its a few bucks extra. and probably within the next year they will fully merge everything, and then buying that box would have been a waste.

I will be contacting Sirius about just transferring my subscription to the Camaro, or possibly if they will do the Camaro as a secondary unit (like now if you pay full price monthly for a subscription you can add a second for $6.95).
So are you saying that you will transfer your sirius account to an xm account and then pay for the extra stations? I guess I'm like you, I want the howard stern station too.

You say that the music stations are the same now. Does that mean that xm 80's is the same as sirius with all the mtv vj's and all?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Same boat here. You can transfer your subscription to XM and pay for the sirius package. Call XM or sirius for details
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
So are you saying that you will transfer your sirius account to an xm account and then pay for the extra stations? I guess I'm like you, I want the howard stern station too.

You say that the music stations are the same now. Does that mean that xm 80's is the same as sirius with all the mtv vj's and all?
I honestly don't listen to the 80's station, but as far as I know both XM and sirius had practically identical channel lineups, so they took the best of each one and merged the other into it. I know the hard rock station from sirius (Octane) survived, while the classic rock station from XM was kept, and so on and so forth. I can kind of see why, if they are merged why bother having 2 stations/staffs of identical programming.

And yes I will transfer and pay extra for stern, in the end its cheaper than getting the sirius conversion brain.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Since theu merged you can get the best of sirus with your xm subscription. Also a lot of the sirius chanels have migrated to xm.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
mwoodengr
Clueless Member

Drives: 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible
Better call Sirius. I am pretty sure that you can not have one Sirius and one XM reciever on the same account. Need two accounts (one Sirius, one XM) for not. XM music channels all switch to the Sirius "equivilant". I know that you can buy Univeral recievers and adapter to retro an Sirius equiped car with XM and vise versa (did this with my current Chrysler to get XM). Its a pretty simiple plug and play with the radio, but you will have to install a new antenna.
mwoodengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
I just signed up with XM and the best of Sirius. I was 16.99 a month with taxes it was $218 for a year, ouch! Online computer hook up is free but you don't get the whole package.

I have been destroying computer burned CD's for years I wanted to try XM and the best of Sirius...you can change the prepaid services to your new Camaro. It sounds great!!

You get a discount for signing 2 or 3 years.

XM is $12.99 a month.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoodengr View Post
Better call Sirius. I am pretty sure that you can not have one Sirius and one XM reciever on the same account. Need two accounts (one Sirius, one XM) for not. XM music channels all switch to the Sirius "equivilant". I know that you can buy Univeral recievers and adapter to retro an Sirius equiped car with XM and vise versa (did this with my current Chrysler to get XM). Its a pretty simiple plug and play with the radio, but you will have to install a new antenna.
I looked up tht box there is none listed for the camaro yet but I'm sure that one thats out there will work. That said you may as well just get an XM subscription than buy taht box, the price difference will be the same as the cost to get the box. And you won't have to run a new antenna.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
I have both XM and Sirius, and most of the channels and playlists are the same on both. i.e., the 80's personalities and songs are the same.
They haven't completely merged as far as the accounting goes, so you'll still have to pay the base of $12.95 (or whatever) on each. Second account is $6.99 on the base subscription.
I have two XM receivers. The first XM receiver is $12.95 and the second is $6.99. I pay a $12.95 base fee for my Sirius receiver. No word on when I can merge my accounts and pay $12.95 for the first one and $6.99 for each of the other two.

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
I've had Sirius Radio since it started, and paid a one time fee of $499--and never have no payments. A lifetime subscription. But it's currently on a "Sportster" radio head unit.

I wonder if Sirius makes a portable radio unit, that would operate thru the USB port on to the Camaro's radio?

I'm not gonna install another antenna just to get Sirius in the car. While I haven't looked in to it lately, it used to be that I could transfer my lifetime subscription to another Sirius radio.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
I've had Sirius Radio since it started, and paid a one time fee of $499--and never have no payments. A lifetime subscription. But it's currently on a "Sportster" radio head unit.

I wonder if Sirius makes a portable radio unit, that would operate thru the USB port on to the Camaro's radio?

I'm not gonna install another antenna just to get Sirius in the car. While I haven't looked in to it lately, it used to be that I could transfer my lifetime subscription to another Sirius radio.
there is also a stereo input jack just below the usb port
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
Nexus6- The stereo jack I'm sure would work, just don't know if I put a portable unit hooked up to it- on how the antenna would come in to play.

I was more thinking about somehow using the USB port in order to utilize the XM antenna.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote