Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
bennettag10
me like fast cars

Drives: 2500 Silverado, 2010 Camaro
iPhone 3g questions...

ok... so i'm sure that plugging in an iphone to the usb outlet will let the stereo control the ipod part of the iphone... but here is my main question... will the bluetooth still work while it is connected to the radio? and will the 3G iPhone charge when connected?

the reason I ask the second question about the 3G charging is because the new 3G phone is not as compatible with charging as the old iPhone and regular ipods...

i know not too many people have had access to the car, but good guesses are always welcome
bennettag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
2ssJB
Software Engineer

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to 2ssJB
I have the original iPhone and went to the dealer today and plugged it into a CTS with the "same" connectivity package as the camaro. That's what the Gm said, I'm not sure if it's true. The iPhone immediatley connected and was charging. I turned it on and switched to aux and my songs started playing. Maybe you should try the same thing and let us know what you find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettag10 View Post
ok... so i'm sure that plugging in an iphone to the usb outlet will let the stereo control the ipod part of the iphone... but here is my main question... will the bluetooth still work while it is connected to the radio? and will the 3G iPhone charge when connected?

the reason I ask the second question about the 3G charging is because the new 3G phone is not as compatible with charging as the old iPhone and regular ipods...

i know not too many people have had access to the car, but good guesses are always welcome

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." M. Gandhi
2ssJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The 3G probably will not charge ,but it will play music and the bluetooth will work while connected . My 1g iphone charge ,but the 3G will not.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
bennettag10
me like fast cars

Drives: 2500 Silverado, 2010 Camaro
thanks number 3! I've been wondering this for a long time. It makes me very happy the 3g will charge
bennettag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.

That means I can use my 13 inch Studio XPS laptop, I have an internal bluetooth module that supports:

Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) and also HFP1.5

which means that I can stream music from my laptop via Windows Media Player, not to mention I can charge it at the same time

something I can't do with my MyGiG without modding the software, the Camaro may not have nav but THIS IS SOME FLY SHIT

Edit- I not sure you are able to do this with a Macbook and I tunes because apples bluetooth modules are weird, let me look into this

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
hey nexus you should check your 3G it should charge
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:

Awesome! I was hoping this was the case. I too have a 3G iPhone, I have found with a pair of head phones I have that have a dongle that plugs into the bottom of iPods it allows the iPod to transmit audio via bluetooth to the headset and pauses the music when a call comes in. Much the same way the iPhone 3G pauses when a call comes in, minus the ability to transfer music audio via bluetooth, so this nifty headset I bought for my iPod/RAZR V3xx does not work with my iPhone 3G... because it does not accept streaming audio as you mentioned... anyway long story short, I was hoping that by plugging the 3G ino the USB of the Camaro that it would 1- charge it, 2 play the music through it, and 3 pause the music and link to the bluetooth in the car to answer the phone.! Sounds like it does, great news.

I do have one question though, when plugged in, do you lose control of the iPhones MP3 player and is it soley controled through the head unit? or does it still allow you to choose music from the phone directly without having to unplug it? Or is there an option in the head unit (such is the case in my after market Pioneer in my FJ) that allows you to control the iPhone from the head unit AND from the iPhone at the same time?
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:

Question: Is skipping tracks controls on the steering wheel or do I have to take my eye off the road to hit 'seek' on the dash? I'm completely used to doing this on the wheel without taking my eye off the road now.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Question: Is skipping tracks controls on the steering wheel or do I have to take my eye off the road to hit 'seek' on the dash? I'm completely used to doing this on the wheel without taking my eye off the road now.
If it interfaces with the head unit, it should work, the knobs on the steering wheel

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
If it interfaces with the head unit, it should work, the knobs on the steering wheel
Good because on the training videos they only show them using the dash. I'd hate to lose the steering wheel functionality.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Awesome! I was hoping this was the case. I too have a 3G iPhone, I have found with a pair of head phones I have that have a dongle that plugs into the bottom of iPods it allows the iPod to transmit audio via bluetooth to the headset and pauses the music when a call comes in. Much the same way the iPhone 3G pauses when a call comes in, minus the ability to transfer music audio via bluetooth, so this nifty headset I bought for my iPod/RAZR V3xx does not work with my iPhone 3G... because it does not accept streaming audio as you mentioned... anyway long story short, I was hoping that by plugging the 3G ino the USB of the Camaro that it would 1- charge it, 2 play the music through it, and 3 pause the music and link to the bluetooth in the car to answer the phone.! Sounds like it does, great news.

I do have one question though, when plugged in, do you lose control of the iPhones MP3 player and is it soley controled through the head unit? or does it still allow you to choose music from the phone directly without having to unplug it? Or is there an option in the head unit (such is the case in my after market Pioneer in my FJ) that allows you to control the iPhone from the head unit AND from the iPhone at the same time?
Not sure, I'll have to check, I've only used the radio. I guess if you want to use the ipod/iphone then you can use the regular audio jack.

I'll check it and get back to you.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post

Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
hey nexus you should check your 3G it should charge
i havent had a chance to check it on a camaro.i just assumed you couldn't,because on my alpine a 1G charges and the 3G does not .But then again my alpine does not use a usb ,it uses a special cable. I hadn't thought about that before answering .

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote