Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #85
copmsaw

Drives: 2014 AGM 1SS LS3 TR6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
If I've learned nothng from Camaro5, I've learned this. Many, many people that drive manuals are extremely sensative about the subject. Don't ask me why, but they can't even be teased about it. If you cross the line, action will be taken against you. (I know this first hand...LMAO).

So in the interest of peace on earth, goodwill towards men and hopefully prevent some feelings from getting hurt, I submit the following.

ALL HAIL MANUAL DRIVERS.

THEY ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY.

WE, THAT DRIVE AUTOMATICS, SALUTE YOU!!!

WE ARE INFERIOR DRIVERS, DRIVING INFERIOR CARS ON INFERIOR ROADS WITH INFERIOR INTENTIONS.

THREE PEDDLES PROVE MANHOOD. WHY HAVE TWO WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THREE? IT IS THE DANGEROUS AND MANLY WAY TO DRIVE.

ALL HAIL MANUAL DRIVERS WITH POWER STEERING, POWER BRAKES & SYNCHROMESH.
I couldn't agree more...just kidding

copmsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #86
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
If I've learned nothng from Camaro5, I've learned this. Many, many people that drive manuals are extremely sensative about the subject. Don't ask me why, but they can't even be teased about it. If you cross the line, action will be taken against you. (I know this first hand...LMAO).

So in the interest of peace on earth, goodwill towards men and hopefully prevent some feelings from getting hurt, I submit the following.

ALL HAIL MANUAL DRIVERS.

THEY ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY.

WE, THAT DRIVE AUTOMATICS, SALUTE YOU!!!

WE ARE INFERIOR DRIVERS, DRIVING INFERIOR CARS ON INFERIOR ROADS WITH INFERIOR INTENTIONS.

THREE PEDDLES PROVE MANHOOD. WHY HAVE TWO WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THREE? IT IS THE DANGEROUS AND MANLY WAY TO DRIVE.

ALL HAIL MANUAL DRIVERS WITH POWER STEERING, POWER BRAKES & SYNCHROMESH.

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #87
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield camaro View Post
Don't lump me in that category, until you can maneuver a Pete 379 with 18 gears. All this auto vs manual stuff cracks me up! You guys need to get out of your cubbies into the real world! Also i have a automatic 2011 with a blower.
Tell you what, if you drive a semi for a living, you can have an automatic daily driver.

As I was saying before, automatics are the standard not out of choice, but due to lack of skill of the driving public. There is a difference between knowing how to drive a manual and choosing an automatic, and choosing an automatic because you won't learn how to drive a manual. Sales are the way they are because of the latter - the public are unskilled drivers and don't want to learn. It's the same reason why most people pull head-first into parking spots. Most people can't back up their car worth a damn or parallel park let alone drive a stick, and that's what's so frustrating.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #88
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
And what about power steering, power brakes, synchro may gears and power windows?

Or HUD, ABS, electronic ignition, fuel injection and the goes on.

How many drivers today know how to set points, gap a plug or adjust timing? So before any V6/V8, auto/manual or DD/garage queen start passing judgement, pass them feeler gauges and a dwell meter. If you really want a driving experience, learn to turn wrenches.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #89
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
And what about power steering, power brakes, synchro may gears and power windows?

How many drivers today know how to set points, gap a plug or adjust timing? So before any V6/V8, auto/manual or DD/garage queen start passing judgement, pass them feeler gauges and a dwell meter. If you really want a driving experience, learn to turn wrenches.
Slippery slope fallacy. Most of those things are byproducts of superior technology. Increased reliability, safety and efficiency.

Automatic transmissions are less reliable than manuals, significantly less efficient and heavier. Safety can be argued. I'll argue a manual is safer since it forces a driver to pay attention. A manual driver will probably be less likely to talk on their phone/text while driving and fall asleep behind the wheel.

Automatics exist due to convenience and opening the market up to a wider audience.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #90
ratfinkharley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Slippery slope fallacy. Most of those things are byproducts of superior technology. Increased reliability, safety and efficiency.

Automatic transmissions are less reliable than manuals, significantly less efficient and heavier. Safety can be argued. I'll argue a manual is safer since it forces a driver to pay attention. A manual driver will probably be less likely to talk on their phone/text while driving and fall asleep behind the wheel.

Automatics exist due to convenience and opening the market up to a wider audience.
Provide some stats to support your claims. Your arguments are weak; especially the asleep at the wheel.

Oh wait, this is the Internet. Never mind.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #91
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Provide some stats to support your claims. Your arguments are weak; especially the asleep at the wheel.
Do you need stats that show automatic transmissions get poorer gas mileage and put down significantly less horsepower than a manual on the same engine? Do you need stats that show manual transmissions are less prone to mechanical failure because they are far more simplistic and don't have nearly the amount of rotating parts? Do you seriously need stats that manual transmissions require more attention to drive, and therefore less attention can be spent elsewhere?

Because that would be embarrassing for you if you didn't know these things on a car forum.

Necessity versus choice. There is a difference, and autos are the standard due to necessity.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #92
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Quote:

OK pass the feeler gauges so I can set the valve lash. Don't forget the rocker clips. Single or dual points with a dwell meter, no problem. Set timing to 10 degrees BTDC as a starting point, then check float level on Holley 780 and adjust fuel and air mixture screws. Brings back a lot of good memories. Never owned an automatic first 12 years of driving. Don't see what the big deal is. Both have their purpose. No need for anyone to have to justify their decision to drive what they want.
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #93
ratfinkharley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Do you need stats that show automatic transmissions get poorer gas mileage and put down significantly less horsepower than a manual on the same engine? Do you need stats that show manual transmissions are less prone to mechanical failure because they are far more simplistic and don't have nearly the amount of rotating parts? Do you seriously need stats that manual transmissions require more attention to drive, and therefore less attention can be spent elsewhere?

Because that would be embarrassing for you if you didn't know these things on a car forum.

Necessity versus choice. There is a difference, and autos are the standard due to necessity.
Yes, please post some facts. Your BiaSed opinions are laughable.

I'll even give you some help on your mpg claim. Check the mpg for the ford focus and Nissan versa.

Do you even know how to set timing with a hand tool not a computer? Or change your oil? Or are you just an Internet tough guy racer? Not impressed, intimated or concerned.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #94
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:

What your saying makes no sense. I am just old enough and have enough mechanical experience that I had the "fun" opportunity to change points and use a dwell meter on many old 60's and early 70's cars. I've owned many cars with manual steering, brakes, and manual windows. Working on those old cars were a piece of cake compared to modern ones. Try putting a set of 4 cams in a DOHC V6 like I did in my 08' Frontier. I could rebuild a small block 350 and it's matching turbo 350 transmission quicker than it took me to do the cams in that truck,
Now I will admit driving my dads old straight 6 chevy pickup with 3 on the tree and manual everything wasn't exactly fun. That steering & clutch setup was beastly. I find it amazing my mom actually drove that thing. But that was a work vehicle plain and simple. Was never designed with "fun" in mind.
That said, my 2nd car was a 73' Vega GT coupe with 5 speed. Even with it's little 4 banger, I still had a blast driving it. That little thing would still scratch into 3rd gear. Great little car for a high school student. I never got the chance to drive a manual old muscle car though. But I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have had a blast driving 4spd 69' camaro with a small block V8.
So just because modern cars tend to have more creature comforts now, doesn't have any bearing on the fact that a manual transmission performance car is and was fun to drive regardless if it was made in the 1967' or 2014'. Winding through the gears is a blast irregardless. A valuable part of the driving expericence as I noted above. Granted it's not for everyone.
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #95
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
Mines is a manual. The only automatics they had were either V6s or 1SS. I almost ordered an automatic 45th but went with a manual instead. One of the biggest regrets I have about my car. I'm way too old for this. I barely drive it because my knees aren't as young as they used to be.
Me too, I'm feelin' it. But I will not be denied the car I should have had in my teens and 20's. Will shift until I can't someday!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #96
lowrider13

Drives: '13 2LT Rag-Top, '12 HD Super Glide
I understand why people feel manuals are the best.

I also understand why people prefer an automatic.

What I don't understand is why people who drive the same car treat each other so mean. I know some are passionate and teasing, but seriously. What gives?

These arguments remind me of the motorcycle world. The "Harley" or "crotch-rocket" purists who think what everyone else rides is a "joke" if they didn't make the same decision as them. A true biker doesn't judge another biker on his bike. He just respects that he rides.

That's how we should treat each other as Camaro owners. LS, LT, SS, ZL1, Z28, auto or M6. Why does it matter? I for one love to drive a stick, but hate it in traffic. You can't have your cake and eat it too...
lowrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #97
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider13 View Post
I understand why people feel manuals are the best.

I also understand why people prefer an automatic.

What I don't understand is why people who drive the same car treat each other so mean. I know some are passionate and teasing, but seriously. What gives?

These arguments remind me of the motorcycle world. The "Harley" or "crotch-rocket" purists who think what everyone else rides is a "joke" if they didn't make the same decision as them. A true biker doesn't judge another biker on his bike. He just respects that he rides.

That's how we should treat each other as Camaro owners. LS, LT, SS, ZL1, Z28, auto or M6. Why does it matter? I for one love to drive a stick, but hate it in traffic. You can't have your cake and eat it too...
+1 Well said! Life's too short (usually).
Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #98
rscheff3

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS, 97 Wrangler Sport
Quote:
Yes, please post some facts. Your BiaSed opinions are laughable.

I'll even give you some help on your mpg claim. Check the mpg for the ford focus and Nissan versa.

Do you even know how to set timing with a hand tool not a computer? Or change your oil? Or are you just an Internet tough guy racer? Not impressed, intimated or concerned.
Well I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering (and all my electives were car related and I have a jeep that I rescued from a wholesaler and rebuilt so I do actually know something about cars) and I can categorically state that ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL a stick shift will get better gas mileage and put out more power than a traditional automatic transmission. A torque converter represents wasted power and decreased efficiency. This is just a basic fact that anyone can understand.

Sure an 8 speed automatic could do better than a 4 speed manual, or an extremely complex and expensive CVT could do better than a typical stick, but this idea that somehow the typical automatic transmission is just as powerful and efficient is complete drivel. Once you go CVT or dual clutch you're looking at a massive increase in manufacturing complexity, which translates into expense, both initially and if repair is ever required.

Also obviously manual transmissions require more attention to driving, and they're actually safer because they require some basic knowledge of cars. Remember the runaway acceleration problem on priuses? That would never happen to a driver who knows how to drive stick. Think about it. Every stick driver would know to put it in neutral while they brought the car to a stop then turn it off. Unfortunately there are a whole generation of drivers on the road who have no idea what that N means on their gear selector.

I'm not bashing automatics, if you want one, drive one. It's your car. I don't care. I do care however when you deny basic mechanical truths about the manual and I do think that everyone should at least know the VERY BASICS of driving a stick to get a license. There are literally no downsides to knowing, and there are certainly downsides to not knowing. Crashing your toyota because you either let it get up to crazy speeds or turn it off and lock your steering wheel would be an example.

Also I agree with the hypothesis that if everyone knew how to drive stick more people would choose to. It's unfortunate that many people don't know. I taught several of my friends in high school who would otherwise have not had the opportunity since no one in their family had sticks and at least half of them went on to buy a stick shift car.
rscheff3 is offline   Reply With Quote