Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #57
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'm getting so tired of hearing people talk about our Camaro not making it to dealers....and dying due to rising gas prices.

LET IT GO ALREADY! It's going to come out! PERIOD. END OF STORY. COMPRENDE?!?!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #58
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
It would be fun to take a poll of the political leanings of Camaro5 members; more detailed than Republican/Conservative vs. Democrat/Liberal. Throw some libertarian, statists, etc in there. But anyway...

Yes, we're a unique breed of people. We'll willing to spend more money on our cars because they're not just transportation, they're also our passion/hobby/whatever you want to call it. Most people spend the minimum to meet their transportation utility needs, reliability, and comfort standards, which is just fine. What I worry about is with all these normal people demanding ultimate economy, so many people forget that people like us still deserve the right and ability to drive the cars that interest us.
Yeah, I wanna see who's left and who's right around here.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #59
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'm getting so tired of hearing people talk about our Camaro not making it to dealers....and dying due to rising gas prices.

LET IT GO ALREADY! It's going to come out! PERIOD. END OF STORY. COMPRENDE?!?!

AMEN!!! +1!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #60
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Just for kicks, GM should try to put a "green" camaro in their lineup.

It should be a lighter version of the Camaro that will absolutely get over 30 mpg. Use a (turbo) 4 cylinder, tall highway gearing, and possibly use a solid axle. use composite doors,hood/trunk lid. maybe even drive on batteries under 30 miles per hour. And paint it the exact Green paint they used for '69 Z28 camaros.

I4 turbo...

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #61
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
The Wall Street Journal had an article today saying GM could go bankrupt by the end of the year ...

The company seems to be struggling and announced it had "enough cash to survive at leats until the end of the year" ... pretty awkward statement ...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #62
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
more stuff to get investors to pull out. . .which makes the stock drop and means that I'll be buying a ton of GM stock soon.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #63
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
if the zr1 and the cts v are still coming out i would find it hard to believe that they wont let the camaro z28 come out. especially since the CAFE thing is supposed to start in 2012.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #64
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
more stuff to get investors to pull out. . .which makes the stock drop and means that I'll be buying a ton of GM stock soon.
you and me are gonna going to end up rich!!!

Seriously, I've been thinking about picking up some shares of GM stock. It's pretty darn low right now, but imagine....Camaro, G8 GXP, CTS V, the new hybrid tecnology and E85 tech in a lot of their new veh's, but more importantly, the VOLT.

C'mon, folks...who here really believes GM is going to die out.... With cars coming out like these, GM is only going to be shooting for the stars! You could make a killing of their stock. In fact, just told the wife about it and she agrees...might be a pretty good idea!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #65
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yup as soon as my Cutlass sells (keep your fingers crossed) I'm putting the proceeds into GM stock and calling it my Camaro down payment. Woohoo.

Oh and to the person who flinched at the idea of an I4 Camaro, I don't know, 260 hp seems plenty fine for a base pony car to me. Given that it will be a hit with tuners, will help the Camaro's image, and will allow the Camaro to live in despite CAFE, I'm really hoping GM gives it the green light. Its not the one I would buy, but it would allow many people on a limited budget to buy a very sexy, decently sporty Camaro who otherwise couldn't afford to buy and run one, which I say is a very, very good thing. Common GM, bring on the turbo 4! Its a great engine and the Camaro would do well to have it.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #66
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Do not read & believe everything that comes out on the net or in magazines UNLESS its been pre approve by one of the Camaro GODS.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #67
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
So you being a democrat I'm curious what you think of Obama's insistence that we can double the mileage of cars with parts off the shelf. If he gets elected he'll force the automakers to do just that.
Technology typically does not evolve on its own. The envelope has to be pushed (i.e. the bar has to be set high). A lot of people oppose legislative initiatives to reduce emissions and increase mileage, but most people don't stop to think about the fact that this will create opportunities for innovation and breakthrough improvements. I just hope that reasonable timetables are set for things like stricter CAFE limits and that the government is willing to invest in domestic technology development to support these limits. Lets create high value jobs in the quest for better fuel economy. Don't get too hung up about CAFE limits... your children or grandchildren probably won't drive gasoline powered cars anyway.

FWIW, you can double the mileage of your car without any part swaps. Do a google on "hypermiling". Yes, there approaches are not practical and can pose road hazards. I have not heard about Obama making such a statement. I know his energy plan calls for gradual increases in CAFE limits, which have historically happened anyway (compare cars today vs 20 yrs ago). Cars now are more powerful, faster, better handling, safer and more comfortable despite the doubling or tripling of fuel efficiency.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #68
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
There was an article about hardcore hypermilers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area yesterday in the paper. A guy with a Honda Insight is getting close to 90mpg.

I wouldn't be caught dead in an Insight, but it shows that even super-efficient cars can vastly increase their mileage with frugal driving methods.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #69
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralniv View Post
Technology typically does not evolve on its own. The envelope has to be pushed (i.e. the bar has to be set high). A lot of people oppose legislative initiatives to reduce emissions and increase mileage, but most people don't stop to think about the fact that this will create opportunities for innovation and breakthrough improvements. I just hope that reasonable timetables are set for things like stricter CAFE limits and that the government is willing to invest in domestic technology development to support these limits. Lets create high value jobs in the quest for better fuel economy. Don't get too hung up about CAFE limits... your children or grandchildren probably won't drive gasoline powered cars anyway.

FWIW, you can double the mileage of your car without any part swaps. Do a google on "hypermiling". Yes, there approaches are not practical and can pose road hazards. I have not heard about Obama making such a statement. I know his energy plan calls for gradual increases in CAFE limits, which have historically happened anyway (compare cars today vs 20 yrs ago). Cars now are more powerful, faster, better handling, safer and more comfortable despite the doubling or tripling of fuel efficiency.
As I've said before, high gas prices dictated by the global market will cause the demand for better fuel efficiency. No government intervention if the demand is there. If the demand is there, then government intervention is against the will of the people. This isn't about gas prices or the environment. Its about the government overstepping their constitutional restrictions and taking more and more control over us. This is about tyranny and arbitrary rule by power-hungry politicians. Obama's CAFE increases will not be reasonable, gradual, or in any way realistic. Look at the democratic primary campaigns - Barrack and Hillary just kept raising on each other's standards like some perverted game of poker. Most American voters couldn't actually tell you what happens to the gas once it is pumped into the tank, so they'll just believe the automakers plug MPG numbers into a computer at random and that is what a car gets, so of course they'll go for a proposal for arbitrarily limiting what we can drive.

Hypermiling has nothing to do with CAFE. It doesn't matter how conservatively you drive. If Democrats stay in power in a few years we won't be allowed to drive anything but a select few Japanese and European models. Of course they'll still get to drive around in their SUVs and limos, but those are the rewards and privileges just for the party elite, just like our Russian comrades taught us. Now that's equality right?

My question is, if there is huge demand for the most fuel efficient cars, why does the government need to dictate anything? Automakers who respond to that demand will win. Those that don't will fail.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #70
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
The Camaro is NOT DEAD Some of the packages that we have all came to love may not be back, but they took away the Z28 before, they have also taken away the SS & the RS The Camaro will be sold most likly in Dealerships in feb like planned but the Z28 may not be coming out right away. We all knew this.

Come on get over it.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.

Closed Thread