Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Vintendo

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convert
Beyond angry at this point...

in all honesty i dont know what to do so I thought I would come here to seek some advice and info..

So last night we had some recently new friends over our new house... Great time ... Some good food and Laughs and so on..

this morning My car was showing that i needed some air in the rear tire.. So i went to the gas station and was filling up the air in the tires when i saw this ..

there is no feeling in the world then seeing something you love so much and Pay so much for destroyed..

it took me all of 5 mins to figure out what happen... As i could tell this was a Toy truck hitch.. Which is also the same kind of vehicle that our new friends drove to the gathering at our Home the night before..

After about an hour of thinking me and my gf decided we would call our friends and ask them if they Hit my car on the way out..

When we called them... The moment we mentioned it... the reaction was... "yes... we hit it before we left"

But why wouldn't they say anything"?

Again these are new friends not people we know all that well at all to be honest..

The response was... "We hit it and then pulled away cause we didn't know what to say.. and Figured i (The male in this story, They were a couple husband and wife) could just buy you a new bumper before I told you... but i cant seem to find any for sale here in Phoenix...."

at this point I wanted to lose my shit.... I really did ... Because i am not a hard person by any means... I understand that accidents happen... but the Fact that they would hit my Car... not a say a single thing about it .... and just drive away...

During this phone call... of which I had to walk around in the backyard just to blow off steam and not Say what I wanted to say...

I asked if he called his insurance... he said no .... Cause he was trying to not have to do that...

I told him this isn't something that is going to Be Cheap by any means at all...

he brings up seeing bumpers online for 700 .... I told him that I would want this fixed by either the dealer or a pro body Shop...

after talking for a little bit ... I say to him...

"Ok Lets do this .. I will call my Insurance and Tell them that someone hit my Car and left... Which Really is the truth i mean After all that is Exactly what happen...
-------
Edit: having no history of how this works I was under the assumption that I would be calling my insurance and telling them who hit the car and his info. At which point I thought I would still be paying my deductible. Hence why I mentioned having him pay that. -- just wanted to clear that up. -----

and that what ever my detectable was that they Could pay that....

I told him My detectable was either 500 or 250...

at which point he responses with... ok Im going to need you to give me some time to get hte money >>

Yet Only a few moments before he was raving about how he had been looking for a bumper and was going to buy it and then call me to tell me he hit my car...

Again im trying my best here to not pass judgment on people ...

But the truth is ... this person doesn't have the money that we have.... different life styles then myself and Gf...

im trying to be nice here and not say what I really mean.. but I hope you all get the idea...

I decided to go home and sleep on it ..

Just woke up... and im just as pissed off if not more...

I guess looking at my car in the Light vs last night , Really makes me see what damage has been done..

here is my thing... i dont know what to Do... These aren't best friends we have known for 20 years ... they are new friends that we have known maybe 2-3 years >.. and recently have been hanging out with them more.

The reason I say this is .. cause Im sorry to say this... I dont trust people that Good in this world... I dont really know them enough to Know if they are lying about even Having insurance at all...

let alone if they will pay or whatever..

Also if just Doesn't sit well with me that they would leave... hit my car.... and just Leave with out saying anything..

Let alone that if i hadn't Seen the damage while putting air... I park Front first in my Garage... it could have been a while before I seen this ... and Then what? I would have not had a clue where it happen..

I just feel that as much as I try not to think this... I Think They hit my car... they left hoping no one saw them hit it .. and Then were going to say nothing to me in hopes that maybe I would think it happen somewhere else..

Just the Way they sounded on the phone... It sounded less like im sorry and more like shit he knows...

I dont know what to do ..

I dont have the money to Pay thousands of dollars to Fix this... and I also hate the fact that this will go through the insurance and then my new car (new to me its a 2012 SS camaro MINT well was MINT)

will lose value from being hit no?

Also what would i be looking as far as Price and so on?

Would you call the Police ?

Im so torn .... and heart broken at the same time... yeah I know its just a car.. but still...

thanks guys for the help and sorry for the Rant

Last edited by Vintendo; 10-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Vintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Report the bastage. No mercy for losers...
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Report it to your insurance company, give them his info. Get the claim started. Let them go after him.
Not a friend worth having if they can't be forward with shit like this.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Man, that's a really frustrating situation. I totally get the hurt of seeing you're car damaged, it can be heart wrenching. We're not normal people, we're car people, and it has a pretty profound effect on us.

I've been on both sides before, had friends hit my car, and hit my friends car. There was immediate owning of the situation by the guilty party, and made everything right as quickly as possible. Not telling you immediately is crazy - that imparts an element of shadiness to the situation.

If it was me, I would go get a quote immediately from a reputable body shop so that you can give them a fairly exact idea of what this will cost. Then I would meet with them in person (stuff like this shouldn't be done over the phone) to discuss options. Either they can pay you directly, now, or and insurance claim needs to be filed against their insurance company. It shouldn't cost you a cent, you've already got to deal with getting this fixed. How they want to handle it can be their choice, just so long as they handle it right away. If they don't have the money, then that means you go through their insurance, simple as that.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You do not want it to go on your record with your insurance company, most keep them on record for 3 to 5 years and if you have another claim in that time you could be looking at a big jump in your premiums or worse cancelation.
Get an estimate and have them pay for repairs out of their pocket. If they refuse then you sue them in small claims court.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Vintendo

My worry is that small claims court would do nothing but drive more costs via legal fees.

They just don't have the money. The more I think about this the more I think I should just report it and give my insurance his info.

Hoping to god that the reason he hasn't reported it isn't because he has no Insurance!

I'm trying my best. But my gut feeling is that they left hoping since I'm so "rich" that I would just have it fixed and not say anything. Sad to say there are people like this out there.

They had the whole next day to come to me with it and yet never did. Until I called them at which point the feeling was over all "man I can't believe I hit your car this is crazy" yeah what's crazy is still having 12k left to pay on a car I've had barely a year which is all messed up now.

I'm going to be out a car for a while. No clue if it will ever be the same and let alone if my rates go up from this.

I had a incident where someone vandalized my old car about 3-4 years ago. So now after reading this I'm worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Dude... you just publicly stated intent to defraud an insurance company by claiming a hit and run. Yes that happened, but you know who the responsible party is now, so when the insurance company asks you can't say I dont know. delete that post!!! Just sayin'.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Vintendo

Oh no I would say who it is. I'm not looking to do anything of the sorts.

I just meant that's what happen since he did hit my car and then leave with out saying anything.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Vintendo

At this point I'm leaning more towards telling he he needs to call his Insurance as I will be calling mine

Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintendo View Post
At this point I'm leaning more towards telling he he needs to call his Insurance as I will be calling mine

If they can't afford to cover it then that's what insurance is for. It shouldn't be a collision claim for you - that's for if you're at fault (or the other party doesn't have any insurance). In this case, it's property damage claim against their insurance. Shouldn't be any question of at fault, one car was parked, one car was moving.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintendo View Post
My worry is that small claims court would do nothing but drive more costs via legal fees.

They just don't have the money. The more I think about this the more I think I should just report it and give my insurance his info.

Hoping to god that the reason he hasn't reported it isn't because he has no Insurance!

I'm trying my best. But my gut feeling is that they left hoping since I'm so "rich" that I would just have it fixed and not say anything. Sad to say there are people like this out there.

They had the whole next day to come to me with it and yet never did. Until I called them at which point the feeling was over all "man I can't believe I hit your car this is crazy" yeah what's crazy is still having 12k left to pay on a car I've had barely a year which is all messed up now.

I'm going to be out a car for a while. No clue if it will ever be the same and let alone if my rates go up from this.

I had a incident where someone vandalized my old car about 3-4 years ago. So now after reading this I'm worried.

Small claims court does not involve lawyers, the only fees would be court costs and and a filing fee those should be placed on the person that had the judgement against them.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
True friends would not do that to friends, to me give them the option to use there insurance, if they refuse call the police get a accident report and give them there description of car and plates, and even if they do use there insurance for me I would have a hard time having trust in them
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreair1 View Post
True friends would not do that to friends, to me give them the option to use there insurance, if they refuse call the police get a accident report and give them there description of car and plates, and even if they do use there insurance for me I would have a hard time having trust in them
^^ This or just call your insurance and give his information. My insurance co (State Farm) hasn't held claims like that against me in the past.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Call your insurance company, tell them the truth. Let them go after him and his insurance company. Case closed. It's not that difficult. This is how grown-up situations are handled.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote