Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Ported IM! Worth it?

Ok, I have axle back flowmasters,, RX catch can, Roto-Fab CAI, ported throttle body, black ice and trifecta tune! I know there is some improvement
but not as much as some people have claimed or maybe my butt dyno is not as generous as some. before I spend more cash on something else, does this "New product" really live up the hype? seems like every time I'm looking at something, everyone is making it out to be the greatest invention ever and then I buy it to be a little disappointed and then all the posts come out on how some are disappointed as well.
Just don't want to drop any more cash if not that big a deal.

True thoughts and real numbers would be great (not what is claimed)

thanks!

neuf cruz

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
was the car tuned before or after all the mods? The throttle body is going to improve that flat spot in acceleration at lower rpm's and not really a H.P. mod. the catch can adds nothing but protection from oil vapors. The CAI should have given you a few ponies and the axle back is more a sound kind of mod rather than H.P.
I don't have any hard numbers to offer you, but I would check the tune to see if there is anything being left on the table. Any other mods are going to start really costing you, like camshaft, turbo charger, supercharger type stuff. In the end if you are not getting the performance you want out of your v6 you could always trade up for the v8.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Well since you have the intake manifold spacer the ported manifest should be around the same numbers as mace dyno'd with their manifold
And 25mm spacers imo
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Yea, don't mean to be a downer but you really dont have much in terms of power. The rotofab should have given a bit, the trifecta tune as well. The black ice should be the one that gave you the most but I don't know since I have the mace insulator. Everything else ydou have you probably wont and didn't feel. Also depends on what IM your talking about. The RX or the MACE one. Going by the dyno on the Mace one, yes it would be a mod you feel but its probably not going to be the end all be all mod you seem to be expecting. Each mod does help though.

Case in point, this past weekend I went to the local 1/4 strip with my buddy who also has a v6. He has an airaid, an exhaust and the 20" RS wheels and I have a vararam, exhaust, a tune and the insulator. I feel like my car has power but after awhile I get used to it. Well we swapped cars for a few runs and oh wow! I could feel the lack of kick on his as well as how heavy the rs wheels were. His took forever to get going and took longer to stop as well. When he got back from running mine, he was thoroughly impressed. He kept raving on how mine got going super fast and it just planted him in his seat. The other thing I noticed a lot was the insulator. I never felt like the insulator would make as much difference as everyone raved but after comparing my friends and my manifold, it was obvious the insulator was making a huge impact!

What I'm saying is every mod by itself probably won't make a HUGE difference but together they make a pretty quick six. Stock I ran a 15.1 in 70 degree weather. After all my current mods, I run 14.3 in 104 degree weather. I have the slips to prove it as well.

Don't get discouraged because one mod didn't make as big a difference as you wanted. Take a stock one for a test drive and see how sluggish our cars can be stock. As to your im question, I can give a review if you'd like after I get mine monday. Also contemplating a temp test between my car and my friends after a few runs to see how much a difference the insulator is doing.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Yea, don't mean to be a downer but you really dont have much in terms of power. The rotofab should have given a bit, the trifecta tune as well. The black ice should be the one that gave you the most but I don't know since I have the mace insulator. Everything else ydou have you probably wont and didn't feel. Also depends on what IM your talking about. The RX or the MACE one. Going by the dyno on the Mace one, yes it would be a mod you feel but its probably not going to be the end all be all mod you seem to be expecting. Each mod does help though.

Case in point, this past weekend I went to the local 1/4 strip with my buddy who also has a v6. He has an airaid, an exhaust and the 20" RS wheels and I have a vararam, exhaust, a tune and the insulator. I feel like my car has power but after awhile I get used to it. Well we swapped cars for a few runs and oh wow! I could feel the lack of kick on his as well as how heavy the rs wheels were. His took forever to get going and took longer to stop as well. When he got back from running mine, he was thoroughly impressed. He kept raving on how mine got going super fast and it just planted him in his seat. The other thing I noticed a lot was the insulator. I never felt like the insulator would make as much difference as everyone raved but after comparing my friends and my manifold, it was obvious the insulator was making a huge impact!

What I'm saying is every mod by itself probably won't make a HUGE difference but together they make a pretty quick six. Stock I ran a 15.1 in 70 degree weather. After all my current mods, I run 14.3 in 104 degree weather. I have the slips to prove it as well.

Don't get discouraged because one mod didn't make as big a difference as you wanted. Take a stock one for a test drive and see how sluggish our cars can be stock. As to your im question, I can give a review if you'd like after I get mine monday. Also contemplating a temp test between my car and my friends after a few runs to see how much a difference the insulator is doing.

He brings up a ton of good points. Now that being said, IMHO yes it is worth it.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
I guess I expected more from all the hype. Also you don't notice it as much because it takes time to learn so you don't feel it full force right away. Just gradually and you get use to it. Have to say that when I purchased the car. Was not impressed at all and a year later with mods added and it's fun now. A coworker has the exact car but showroom stock. Need to go drive his and feel the difference.
Any preference for which manifold?

Who am I kidding! My usual moto is "every bit helps"
Sign me up! Do I need the plenum spacer and what else (bolt on wise) no cams yet. It s a lease so don't want to go that far yet!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I have the RX ported (and hand polished-thank you very much) IM and I love the increase in power as well as the better sound quality you can clearly hear. I live in an area with a lot of windy roads and in 3rd, I can kick the tail out whereas before it had to be wet to do that.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Both the Mace & RX are pretty much the same design so either one will be good.

The catchcan does eliminate the power loss from the oil ingestion so it does result in some gains depending on the amount of ingestion the car has, but it is not a way to guarantee gains. It is mainly for longevity and to prevent power and economy loss.

Excelent points here.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Both the Mace & RX are pretty much the same design so either one will be good.

The catchcan does eliminate the power loss from the oil ingestion so it does result in some gains depending on the amount of ingestion the car has, but it is not a way to guarantee gains. It is mainly for longevity and to prevent power and economy loss.

Excelent points here.

-------------------------------------------
Jay@MACE ENGINEERING USA
Instant Contact: VELOCITYPORT410@GMAIL.COM

Home of 31hp/33tq ported intake/25mm insulator
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote