Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Average install price for gears?

Looking to do gears for my next mod and wanting to get some feedback as to how much you were charged to have them installed. I was interested in the LPE 3.90s but open to other suggestions from you guys. Not interested in the Richmonds due to the negative feedback I've been hearing about them.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
I just had the LPE 3.91 gears installed. The shop that did my install gets $1800 for the gear and the install, so $800 for the gear and $1000 for the install, which also included the install kit. They did a great job, the new gears are every bit as quiet as the stock gears, and they make a big difference in the responsiveness of the car, we'll see what kind of time improvement I get when I get back to the track.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Frid

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
LPE 3.91 install cost $1400 including gears and install kit. I took differential out myself. Looks like I saved $400. Very quiet. Difference is like night and day.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm also looking at the LFE 3.90s with the install kit. Other than the gears and install kit, did u need to purchase any other parts? I have A6.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I'm also looking at the LFE 3.90s with the install kit. Other than the gears and install kit, did u need to purchase any other parts? I have A6.
I would replace the factory rubber differential bushings with polyurethane bushings while you have it apart. I used BMR Suspension bushings. Mine came in a total suspension kit, but I believe they are less than $100 separately. It is a PITA to get the old ones out. I just sent mine with the diff and told the shop to install them. I also used Redline 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil instead of the GM stuff and changed it again after the first 500 miles.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandD View Post
I just had the LPE 3.91 gears installed. The shop that did my install gets $1800 for the gear and the install, so $800 for the gear and $1000 for the install, which also included the install kit. They did a great job, the new gears are every bit as quiet as the stock gears, and they make a big difference in the responsiveness of the car, we'll see what kind of time improvement I get when I get back to the track.
Wow I can't help but think you got ripped.

I'm looking into installing LPE 3.70s and my dealer quoted me 1.5 - 2 hours labor.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Erik@lashway

Drives: Camaros, Vettes, Trucks
We charge $1700 for gear installs. This includes parts from LPE of Richmond. So, you're right in the ballpark with these other guys. I can tell you, do not go cheap - you will regret it.

If a local shop can't help, check out our new mail order gear swap promotion:

http://www.lashwaymotorsports.com/20...6a04c1bede5075

Thanks a lot,
Erik@Lashway
Erik@lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Erik@lashway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Wow I can't help but think you got ripped.

I'm looking into installing LPE 3.70s and my dealer quoted me 1.5 - 2 hours labor.
Only one getting ripped here is the dealer. It takes 2 hours to get the diff out and in (and not cutting corners). Like most dealerships they're probably desperate for work and will hit you with a bunch of other items that need "attention".
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
DandD

Believe me I didn't get ripped, the shop I went to does quality work and thats the number 1 thing I look for. All I gave you was the price he charges for the gear install. The OP didn't say what I paid in total, so to show you how bad I got RIPPED here is what my shop did and the cost to me. I also had the Jannetty posi mod installed. He installed it originally and then test drove it and didn't like the way it sounded and felt so he tore it down again and inspected the entire posi carrier and found that the spider gears were bad in my posi unit so he split the cost with me on a new one wanting me to know that he did that because he wanted a clear conscience in case it was him that caused the posi unit to go bad, which I have no doubt he had nothing to do with it. So he put the new factory posi unit in with the posi mod and felt the posi mod was too tight so he sent the steel spacers in the posi mod clutch pack to his machine shop he uses to have .060 milled off the spacers and then reassembled the whole package. It was then to his "liking", he honestly doesn't let a car go out of his shop unless he himself is satisfied that it is RIGHT. Now I paid for the Jannetty posi mod myself and supplied it to him at the time of install. Total cost out of my pocket for this job you ask $2100, now considering his price for the 3.91 gear and install is $1800, if you think I still got RIPPED bud I'll be glad to get RIPPED every time from this shop.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
DandD

Erik I agree with you, I don't think the shop I use made much of anything on this job, it wasn't a dealership I went to, but a high performance shop in my area. And Mr_Draco I would strongly suggest you do the same. Erik's price seems to be right in line with the average at least in my area. I also believe he offers a core swap program that is a great way to go if you can get the differential out of your car yourself.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Erik@lashway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandD View Post
Believe me I didn't get ripped, the shop I went to does quality work and thats the number 1 thing I look for. All I gave you was the price he charges for the gear install. The OP didn't say what I paid in total, so to show you how bad I got RIPPED here is what my shop did and the cost to me. I also had the Jannetty posi mod installed. He installed it originally and then test drove it and didn't like the way it sounded and felt so he tore it down again and inspected the entire posi carrier and found that the spider gears were bad in my posi unit so he split the cost with me on a new one wanting me to know that he did that because he wanted a clear conscience in case it was him that caused the posi unit to go bad, which I have no doubt he had nothing to do with it. So he put the new factory posi unit in with the posi mod and felt the posi mod was too tight so he sent the steel spacers in the posi mod clutch pack to his machine shop he uses to have .060 milled off the spacers and then reassembled the whole package. It was then to his "liking", he honestly doesn't let a car go out of his shop unless he himself is satisfied that it is RIGHT. Now I paid for the Jannetty posi mod myself and supplied it to him at the time of install. Total cost out of my pocket for this job you ask $2100, now considering his price for the 3.91 gear and install is $1800, if you think I still got RIPPED bud I'll be glad to get RIPPED every time from this shop.
Cool. So long as you are happy!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
DandD

Yes I am Erik and my post wasn't aimed at you in any way, so I hope you didn't take it to be so. Keep up your good work!!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Frid

Will be looking for a vendor/seller for the LPE 3.91s when I return from overseas late October. Who all on this site sells them? Or perhaps there is another site that I can get them from. Unfortunately I do not have a shop around Columbia, SC that could install these and I am not confident enough to try.