Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
What if the Z28 was like this?

So what if the Z28 was just a lighter Camaro, maybe lighter by 200 or 300 lbs and position between an SS and a V6. Maybe with the 340hp 5.3L LS4 engine. That would mean the Z28 is competition for the Mustang GT, Mustang Bullitt and Mustang Mach 1. That would mean the Z28 is a special edition car like the Mustang Bullitt and Mach 1.

This is the theory I heard from a recent Chevy car finance manager in Dallas
This sounds very reasonable

what do yall think?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
It's a viable option, but if they still made a 'GT500-killer', that would mean offering _5_ different powertrain options (3.6L, LS3, L99, LSA (or whatever supercharged engine), and then the LS4).

That's certainly possible, but seems unlikely to me.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So what if the Z28 was just a lighter Camaro, maybe lighter by 200 or 300 lbs and position between an SS and a V6. Maybe with the 340hp 5.3L LS4 engine. That would mean the Z28 is competition for the Mustang GT, Mustang Bullitt and Mustang Mach 1. That would mean the Z28 is a special edition car like the Mustang Bullitt and Mach 1.

what do yall think?
that's closer to the heritage of the original Z28. but still don't see them putting it below the SS. even in power.

I personally would like to see one lighter with the same power as the SS and a race tuned suspension. The SS has a sport tuned suspension not a race tuned. the difference between the two is the SS is more ummm avg driver friendly on feel. SS = can't feel every single bump in the road so the avg consumer will enjoy it. Z28 should = monster corner hugger with more then enough power.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Nope...I don't think we can get that much weight out of it but it would be nice.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think both ideas are great. They both harken back to what that RPO stood for, more-or-less. I, personally, am H3LL-bent on a GT500-killer, however, I think these ideas are more closely matched than my idea. Regardless, they sound great

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Z28 should = monster corner hugger with more then enough power.
...with a notice to every buyer stating that kidney belts may be required.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
What does FbodFather think of this? Can someone summon him to this thread!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Hylton

Quote:
What does FbodFather think of this? Can someone summon him to this thread!
What he said last night is as much as you're going to get out of him regarding the Z/28!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
They could use some aluminum stampings in the monocoque ala CTS-V, carbon hood, decklid, lighter seats, etc. There's ways to get the weight down but the car could get expensive very quick.

Probably the best way in this economy is to overcome weight with horsepower. LSA motor, fattest tires possible, and upgrade struts/torsion bars. Then take it to Green Hell again and tune it similar to the CTS-V. That would make one fine Z28!

Hugger Orange, Z28 specific color
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've always thought of the Z28 as being less powerful than the SS but being more bare bones and better suited as a road racer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
As I understand it, the original Z28 was a recammed engine to get the displacement down but make as much power as possible, the suspension was tweaked and lowered. plus a number of other mods to meet SCCA regs.

The '10 SS is already lowered and on fully independant suspension. they could stiffin it I suppose but I really dont see much room for it. beefer suspension would only add weight, Could you see a lower powered version with exotic materials that sells for more?

yes GM has a 5.3L V8 for trucks that is logitudinal. But, the LS4 is an AFM engin for FWD automatics. I don't want that anywhere near the Camaro nameplate.

It seems to me the only easily accessable segment GM has open is the Shelby killer. stiffen the suspension a notch drop in the LSA and the 3.73 axle from the CTS-V. its should appeal to the greatest market and require the least additional engineering by GM to pull off.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I believe the 302 was a destroked 327 (had a 283 crank) and loved to rev, but didnt have much down low. And better suspension components doesnt mean they'd be have to be heavier, hollow sway bars and differently wound springs (like on my '00) can weigh less than stock. To be honest, I'd like to see some of those ideas for reducing weight thrown at a GT500 killer. If its the same weight as an SS (or less) and sporting an LSA, it would be one hell of a combination.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:

what do yall think?
Honestly, id like that more, even more than a 550hp monster.

why?

its a REAL Z28
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
There must be weight to be lost in the suspension on the new Camaro. We know they made compromises to keep costs down and competitive to the Mustang. Cheaper components are usually heavy components. I think it would be reasonable to expect the Z28 to be lighter than the SS. It's just those lighter components will raise the price tag.
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote