Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

Drives: Black 2ss Rs
Feel like brakes are going

Im new to all of this..and especially the brembos. I feel as if I need to really push down on them to stop. At 5800 miles I noticed that the brake pedal isnt as stiff as it was and now I really need to push further down on it.What could this be?
Brettscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
2quick

Drives: none
pads are worn, fluid, has air in the lines. are these stock pads? brakes are nothing to mess with. If you think there is something wrong then check them out asap. thats your life in your hands.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

How are the pads worn at 5800 miles? is that under warranty
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
2quick

could have a caliper sticking and putting slight constant pressure on the pads. That would be noticeable. how do the rotors look? Any grooves or discolorations in the rotors?

I'm not sure if that would be covered under a warranty.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
just bleed them. see if the pedal regains pressure. if not have the dealership flush them or something.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

How would it not be covered under warranty. Its a brand new 2011 with 5800 miles? That's absurd
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettscamaro View Post
Im new to all of this..and especially the brembos. I feel as if I need to really push down on them to stop. At 5800 miles I noticed that the brake pedal isnt as stiff as it was and now I really need to push further down on it.What could this be?
Is it going to the floor or does it just feel a little softer? They feel pretty soft to me in general but that is interesting. Have you been hard on it, track or autocross? You can get a much better pedal feel with some stainless brake lines, they aren't very expensive either. I'd take it to the dealer, if there is a problem it will be covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrotors View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I've read else where that you may need to have some type of scanner hooked up while bleeding the brake system on the Camaros and Corvettes. If If recall correctly, it has something to do with de-activating the ABS to get all the air out of the system. Your problem could also be 'glazed' pads. This occurs when the pads have been subjected to extreme and severe heat, the face of the pad gets a shinny look to it on the face. Then no matter how hard you push on the brake pedal, the vehicle doesn't seem to slow down any better (or faster).
I'd try replacing the pads with a different brand and compound. I'd recommend Hawk (HPS) High Performance Street, or perhaps something from Performance Friction. Pad selection depends on how the vehicle is driven and where (such as a race track or auto crossed).

Hope that helps,

Keith
km@frozenrotors.com
The Camaro does not need to be hooked up to a machine to bleed the brakes. FYI.
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrotors View Post
And don't forget is you are trying to change fluid or bleed the ABS pump you need use a GM Tech II tool. Yep, the old tool and not the new one. There will be no Camaro listed on the Tech II. Use the Corvette bleed.
Interesting, I didn't have to use a Tech II.... I've bleed them the old fashion way and they always work awesome! Maybe I'm special! I didn't completely drain the fluid either so that may be why, the tech II might be required if you're completely flushing the system.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

Under warranty not for tsb but for "defective brake pads" there is a problem with one of them the service dept said and they are shocked I just noticed it. New pads will be replacing these defected ones saturday morning. That should do the trick.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettscamaro View Post
Under warranty not for tsb but for "defective brake pads" there is a problem with one of them the service dept said and they are shocked I just noticed it. New pads will be replacing these defected ones saturday morning. That should do the trick.
WOW, that is interesting. Defective brake pads! You're lucky you didn't end up getting in an accident! That is crazy! I'm glad you got it figured out.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
2quick

Very glad they are taking care of you.

You only need the tech II if you completely drain the fluid. It is needed so you can turn off the abs. You can do it the old fashion way but i like to use the tech every other time i bleed.