Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #57
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2010ss View Post
Proof is in the pudding boys
Lots of cars with different setups coming out posting strong numbers the one common ingredient is

SPi

I say in the spring all of us who have had our cars SPiEd put a video together

Calbert that is stupid sick

Drew... I am in awe
Lots of cars coming out this year with crazy hp numbers but only the timeslip will tell who really can backup their claims. I know I will
Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #58
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Lots of cars coming out this year with crazy hp numbers but only the timeslip will tell who really can backup their claims. I know I will
As you're aware it takes much more than hp to have good drag runs as i can tell by your list of mods.

My goals are for road course driving but I'll attempt a few runs on the straightaway, but I won't be attempting to shred my driveline to beat any records.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
As you're aware it takes much more than hp to have good drag runs as i can tell by your list of mods.

My goals are for road course driving but I'll attempt a few runs on the straightaway, but I won't be attempting to shred my driveline to beat any records.
So you built 1000hp setup to road race? You are nuts
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #60
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
So you built 1000hp setup to road race? You are nuts
No man. I know that would be nuts eh?

After, finishing up testing to do a very specific setup, Andrew and I agreed to de-tune down to about 700+rwhp. I still have all stock driveline components and stock tires so lot's of work left to do to ensure the vehicle will hold up if / when I hook attempting to keep up with you guys on the strip. My preference is to build up, than to break down so investigating options for a tranny, DS (maybe a 2pc.), and axles (on the way next).

Also, although I may appear to be an ass at times on C5 I'm really very humble. I have more of an ego when writing than when in person as I do a lot of writing in my profession to communicate so I have to do it in an effective an authoritative manner; I think that rubs off a bit into my C5 writings but it's not intentional. My approach with the vehicle is to take things slowly and learn to drive, respect and appreciate the power in stages. I'm not a professional driver so for me the power is exciting, but very scary at the same time. The original goals are to maintain a street friendly vehicle I will use on the track for mostly road course driving and occassion drag.

The plan is to enable a method for me to change the tunes based on the type of driving (street, drag, or road course hot laps) without having to change pulleys. I can't explain the specifics but we attempted with the D1, but it couldn't keep up (something to do with the CFM) so we had to scrap that idea and de-tune for now until I make a few other changes.

So, I guess for now you're gonna' kick my butt if we ever line up at Mosport or Cayuga.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #61
jrpxxii

Quote:
No man. I know that would be nuts eh?

After, finishing up testing to do a very specific setup, Andrew and I agreed to de-tune down to about 700+rwhp. I still have all stock driveline components and stock tires so lot's of work left to do to ensure the vehicle will hold up if / when I hook attempting to keep up with you guys on the strip. My preference is to build up, than to break down so investigating options for a tranny, DS (maybe a 2pc.), and axles (on the way next).

Also, although I may appear to be an ass at times on C5 I'm really very humble. I have more of an ego when writing than when in person as I do a lot of writing in my profession to communicate so I have to do it in an effective an authoritative manner; I think that rubs off a bit into my C5 writings but it's not intentional. My approach with the vehicle is to take things slowly and learn to drive, respect and appreciate the power in stages. I'm not a professional driver so for me the power is exciting, but very scary at the same time. The original goals are to maintain a street friendly vehicle I will use on the track for mostly road course driving and occassion drag.

The plan is to enable a method for me to change the tunes based on the type of driving (street, drag, or road course hot laps) without having to change pulleys. I can't explain the specifics but we attempted with the D1, but it couldn't keep up (something to do with the CFM) so we had to scrap that idea and de-tune for now until I make a few other changes.

So, I guess for now you're gonna' kick my butt if we ever line up at Mosport or Cayuga.
I dont ever take your comments as offensive and everyone has their own method to their madness I would definitely take it very easy with your car until you can upgrade the driveline as you are well beyond what the stock parts will handle for very long. I would recommend axles right off as it wont take much to break one. Also just a safety note, get rid of the stock tires asap as they are useless. A good set of drag radials for the rear will make your car alot more enjoyable to drive and safer. Looks like your headed in the right direction, just take it easy on the drivetrain.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #62
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I dont ever take your comments as offensive and everyone has their own method to their madness I would definitely take it very easy with your car until you can upgrade the driveline as you are well beyond what the stock parts will handle for very long. I would recommend axles right off as it wont take much to break one. Also just a safety note, get rid of the stock tires asap as they are useless. A good set of drag radials for the rear will make your car alot more enjoyable to drive and safer. Looks like your headed in the right direction, just take it easy on the drivetrain.
Thanks, man. I think most can't handle my odd Canadian sense of humour or directness.

What do you recommend on the stock rims for now. I'm thinking about 315 R, 275 F. But, not sure if they're good on stock rims, until I decide on new ones.
As for rims not sure what I can fit on this vehicle without any rubbing.

I'd like to get 11" in the rear and 10" in the front if possible.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #63
jrpxxii

I know some people are running 315 but not sure about on a stock rim but a 305 even being a drag radial will be tons better than stock tires. You can get an 11" rim in the rear but it will stick out a little. I guess it depends on what you really want them for. If you just want them for road racing and some drags and looks dont really bother you, then you can find what you need. There are so many wheel manufacturers out that it just comes down your own preference in wheel style.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #64
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostpatrol View Post
Even if a D1 could make 927whp it sure can't on 13 psi. It would need 25 lbs to do it. That 427 would make maybe 325 without boost. Something doesn't add up.
:l aughabove:
Im almost at a loss for words with this post and am sorry for the OP for this guy even posting in his thread.

With those heads and cubes he could have a small cam and be close to 600 crank hp NA. Someone throw this guy a clue.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #65
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Im almost at a loss for words with this post and am sorry for the OP for this guy even posting in his thread.

With those heads and cubes he could have a small cam and be close to 600 crank hp NA. Someone throw this guy a clue.
We spelled it out for him and he didn't even thank us.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #66
Boostpatrol

Drives: 2009 G8 Gt Twin turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post

I have a 416 CI livernois boost motor, stage 3R CNC heads, custom .688" turbo cam with 9:1 compression. Livernois told me it would put down low 300whp NA.
Boostpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #67
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I have a 416 CI livernois boost motor, stage 3R CNC heads, custom .688" turbo cam with 9:1 compression. Livernois told me it would put down low 300whp NA.
Seriously, you must have mis-interpreted what they said or you're speaking with the salesman and need to talk to the engine maker.

Just think of it; a 376ci. currently does 425hp. at the crank with a 10.5:1 compression, average from most dyno runs is about 360rwhp.

On the 418ci. your compression is less, but your cubes are more, and your air flow should be more, and you have the monster CAM as well so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't put out quite a bit more than the stock LS3.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #68
Boostpatrol

Drives: 2009 G8 Gt Twin turbo
Quote:
Seriously, you must have mis-interpreted what they said or you're speaking with the salesman and need to talk to the engine maker.

Just think of it; a 376ci. currently does 425hp. at the crank with a 10.5:1 compression, average from most dyno runs is about 360rwhp.

On the 418ci. your compression is less, but your cubes are more, and your air flow should be more, and you have the monster CAM as well so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't put out quite a bit more than the stock LS3.
hmm, thats what Dave at livernois told me when i asked him. I have this New engine for sale, and no takers so far so i asked him what it would lay down if i put it in my G8 and he said low 300's. If it made more i would have put it in the G8 and sprayed the piss out of it.

On the same subject, Livernois built a buddy a 9.7:1 boost 408 and told him the same thing when he contemplated pulling the twin 67s out of his saturn sky LS2 conversion. Told him low 300s to the tire NA
Boostpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #69
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
hmm, thats what Dave at livernois told me when i asked him. I have this New engine for sale, and no takers so far so i asked him what it would lay down if i put it in my G8 and he said low 300's. If it made more i would have put it in the G8 and sprayed the piss out of it.

On the same subject, Livernois built a buddy a 9.7:1 boost 408 and told him the same thing when he contemplated pulling the twin 67s out of his saturn sky LS2 conversion. Told him low 300s to the tire NA
G8's are usually auto so you lose a lot of power. You have to remember we aren't talking about a 408 or 402 but a very well built 429. It would most likely make close to or more than 500whp n/a. here's an example of exactly what I'm talking about. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...o/viewall.html

But in all honesty it's really irrelevant. The bigger engine can take in more air from the blower so you will see less build up (boost). that's why you see lower boost than your used to seeing on smaller engines/smaller cam/inferior headed vehicles.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #70
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Hey Chris,

Fantastic numbers! I had no doubt that this would be a monster with BIG numbers. We both know that Drew, Al and the rest of the boys at SPi build wicked power and know what they are doing. My forged 416ci with an E-Force making 666rwhp/737rwtq, 12lbs of boost and an ultra conservative tune, Bill's forged 416ci with a Maggy making 701rwhp/750rwtq. These are but a couple of other examples of the great work performed by SPi.

Congrat's to SPi and Livernois for an impressive build Spring can not come soon enough!

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote