Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Do you have to keep it installed or do you use it for a month and then you can take it out?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
From Progressive's website

Quote:
How Snapshot® Works

Plug a little device into your car and within 30 days, you could save big!

The better you drive, the more you save with Snapshot, our revolutionary usage-based insurance program. Sign up today during your auto quote, and we'll send you everything you need to start saving.
Plug in.
The Snapshot device plugs easily into your car's diagnostic port (usually below the steering column) and automatically keeps track of your good driving.
Drive.
Drive like you usually do for 30 days and go online to see your projected savings, as well as:
how often you slam on the brakes;
how many miles you drive;
and how often you drive between midnight and 4 a.m.
Get a personalized rate.
Any Snapshot discount you earn kicks in immediately. So, you can start saving right away! Then, you'll stay plugged in for five more months to set your ongoing renewal discount.
Why not try it?
Switch to Progressive today and start Snapshot as a customer. Or, take a 30-day test drive first; then, decide if you want to switch. Either way, signing up for Snapshot is free.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
Do you have to keep it installed or do you use it for a month and then you can take it out?
after about 2-3 months they tell you to take it out and send it back, then give you the discount the next renewal period
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
So you only have to do this for 30 days? If they give you a discount do they expect you to keep monitor in full time so they can continue to monitor your driving?
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Slapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrost View Post
So you only have to do this for 30 days? If they give you a discount do they expect you to keep monitor in full time so they can continue to monitor your driving?
The thirty day trial is particularly for non Progressive customers to try for a rate quote.

If you sign up for the program and are a Progressive customer, you'll be expected to keep the device plugged in for 6 months.

After the first thirty days, they'll apply any discount you acquire from the data recorded by the device.

You're free to remove the device at any time and your rate will return to what it was prior to the Snapshot discount.

If you leave the device in for the 6 month period, you'll receive a discount every month based on the data collected by the device. You may or may not benefit from it. If you are considered low risk as I am at this point, you'll get a discount up to 30%.

At the end of the 6 month period, your averaged discount over the 6 months will be applied to your next 6 month premium. Therefore, you have the potential for a full year being discounted up to 30%.

What happens after all of this, I'm not sure as of yet. My rate may go back to what it was before the Snapshot discount or it may be lower. I'll find out when I get there.

As of right now, my premium for the next 6 months is quoted at $458 cheaper than it was last renewal. This is worth any extra effort to curb hard braking and driving between midnight and 4am to me.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
I don't think I could do 6 months of monitoring. I'm a very safe driver. I usually do 5 under the speed limit under normal driving conditions. Of course I do like to get on it once in awhile and that's what would get me in trouble. I only pay $59 bucks a month for full coverage with all the add on coverage I could get and free windshield replacement. $500 deductible. Car is in the shop now for repairs after taking out some deer. covered under my comprehensive plan and they told me my rates would not go up. Never had a ticket or wreck in my life. Pay $59 bucks a month for full coverage on my Dodge truck too.

Last edited by MrFrost; 01-27-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: addition
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #21
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
State Farm has a similar program. Although, since I live in Ohio I don't need a device. SF just uses my OnStar for mileage information and discounts go by my average monthly driven miles.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Should be noted that having it won't raise your rates any, correct? I thought that's what I read. I might do this. I usually don't drive a whole lot living in a small town so I might be able to save some dough.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Slapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Should be noted that having it won't raise your rates any, correct? I thought that's what I read. I might do this. I usually don't drive a whole lot living in a small town so I might be able to save some dough.
That's what they say. In all honesty, if I'd made it the first thirty days and saw little to no benefit I'd probably pull it out and ship it back. I'd be leery of running it with the potential for negative data. As long as it appears to benefit me, it'll stay put.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post

I also put the registration and insurance card in a sealed envelope. On the outside I wrote "driving privileges revoked if seal is broken". Hey I used to be a 17 year old.
Great idea! Wish I had thought of this when my boys were younger
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #25
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Great idea! Wish I had thought of this when my boys were younger
I will definitely remember this when I have kids lol...

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I wonder what it would do to your rates if you had it on at the track lol

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
Slapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I wonder what it would do to your rates if you had it on at the track lol

Nick C.
The trick is finding someone willing to try that... I'd love to see it. Maybe someone with another company should slap one in and go do a track day and see what the results are. I just know it won't be me..
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #28
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i tried the allstate version because they gave me a 10% discount to try it. its not designed to work on a car with brakes. I drive like a adult. I do not brake hard but every time i touched the brakes it said hard braking. extreme braking is decell more than 8mph per sec. They do not have a gps so speeding is over 80mph because of 75mph interstates. i get 5% out of possible 20% in my truck and havent had 1 hard braking yet. it looks at when you drive too. if you have a job and drive when other people are on the road then you wont get much of a discount. i get no discount in the camaro and I drove it like a old lady while i had it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 01-27-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: extream braking
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote