Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Is your steering wheel straight?

Ever since I took delivery of my car, when I am cruising dead straight down the highway the steering wheel is not positioned with the 12 o'clock position at the dead top, it is slightly rotated counter-clockwise. If I put the wheel in its dead center position, the car starts to drift to the right. I am assuming this can be simply rectified by with an alignment. Anyone else have the same experience in their car?

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
Most roads have a slight pitch to the right so rain drains off the road. That might what you are experiencing.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
robertway

Nope, took that into consideration... it pitches to the right in a dead flat parking lot, if I take my hands of the wheel the car goes pretty much straight as an arrow, but the steering wheel itself is a little bit off.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Sounds like the Alignment needs to be set (Toe setting) to straighten the wheel.
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
When they did the alignment on my Baby after the lowering springs "settled", he found the steering was slightly off. He said I probably didn't notice it, which I didn't. So, he adjusted it.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
Sounds like the Alignment needs to be set (Toe setting) to straighten the wheel.
That was my initial assumption, since the car seems to be off-center and drifting right I thought that toeing the front left out a bit and then toeing the front right in by the same amount would eventually rectify it. I am going to be putting my coilovers on within the next couple of weeks and then going for a re-alignment so hopefully it will get straightened out then.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
mine is just a tad off center, car drives straight with my hands off the wheel. No biggie.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
mine is just a tad off center, car drives straight with my hands off the wheel. No biggie.
I agree, no biggie, unless you're a little OCD about these types of things which I happen to be. At least I don't take my hands off the wheel and the car does a hard right turn...