Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
kozzmo49

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs
axle back vs catback exhaust

Can someone please explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of both of these. Is our stock piping good enough and wide enough where getting an axle back wouldlnt make that much of a difference?
kozzmo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Big Bird Style -

The larger your exhaust pipe the easier it is to get the air out of your motor, thus the more air you can put in, thus making more power.

I am unsure what the size is on the stock exhaust though.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Big Bird Style -

The larger your exhaust pipe the easier it is to get the air out of your motor, thus the more air you can put in, thus making more power.

Yes, but keep in mind that the engine is only going to suck in so much. Also if you are getting much bigger pipes, you are going to have to get new headers as well.

Then when you realize you made more space than you need, get it supercharged.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Big Bird Style -

bigger isn't always better.

the stock 2.5 exhaust is pretty big, should support up to about 550 rwhp no problem without being a hinderance. They have nice bends to them too, the real restrictions are probably at the mufflers and maybe the cats.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
also, with bigger piping you will lose back pressure, which will result in the possible loss of low end tq without necessarily gaining anything up top. the dyno might not reflect it at WOT, but can be felt at part throttle.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I am pretty happy that there will be several AXLE back options. This allows for a pretty cheap way to improve the sound of the car and perhaps get some increase of performance. The Cat back systems theoretically offer a larger diameter or straighter bend which could increase performance. Since most of us won't be going with a full exhaust and header setup for ultimate performance we are more likely doing exhaust for a more robust sound rather than all out performance. I anticipate that I will go with an Axle back solution to get a little more performance sound rather than the ultimate exhaust system.

The additional benefit will be to not have to see those huge mufflers hanging under the car.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
also, with bigger piping you will lose back pressure, which will result in the possible loss of low end tq without necessarily gaining anything up top. the dyno might not reflect it at WOT, but can be felt at part throttle.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
Old 05-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #8
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Thank you ^

Remember, you can get different HP/Tq ratings with different mufflers. Just because you go with Borla rather than Magnaflow, it doesn't mean you're going to get more Tq. It depends on the size of your pipe, initial HP/Tq, etc... It would be cool if someone did a comparison on stock Camaro's similar to these:

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-...-shootout.html
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&p=155840

As you can see, that was 7 years ago, and there wasn't THAT much of a difference. Of course, if you ran the test again, the numbers would change. Also, I have no idea if this was an average or what... It would be cool to see some new tests.

I searched around for axel back vs cat back, and found several different answers, basically:

If you're wanting more HP/Tq gains, just replace the entire exhaust system (including Long tube headers IF AND ONLY IF you don't need to pass inspection! If you do, get a high-flow cat put on there).

If you're looking to change the notes your exhaust plays, get the muffler changed out.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Good info, thanks guys
Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
good posts, dudes
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
There is more involved here than this article discusses. This article seems to say that the biggest exhaust you can bolt on your car results in the most power. This is far from reality, especially at lower-midrange rpm. An appropriate size exhaust produces the best all around power, too big of an exhaust will always result in less low end power. This has nothing to do with A/F ratio. The exiting exhaust gases of any engine and the velocity of those gases create a scavenging effect to help remove burnt gases and draw in a new intake charge (where the intake and exhaust valves are both open-the overlap). This is what makes long tube headers so effective. Put a set of 2 1/4" race headers on a bone stock LS1 and I guarantee you will lose a ton of low end power. The same thing applies, maybe less so for the rest of the exhaust being too big. The further downstream, the lower the effect on scavenging is.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
ok question say if i were to change stock pipes from 2 1/2 -3 would that be that big of a difference
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
It's not a "big" difference but I was running a 3" exhaust on my Srt-4.

Also, does anyone know the manufacturer of the mufflers on the GM exhaust?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
hp for life

Drives: 93z28 with a few mods
Going from 2.5 to 3 on a stock motor will net you a lose of bottom end TQ. You will see it on a dyno and feel it alittle but i don't think 1/4 mile times would suffer. As said before dual 2.5 pipes can support 550rwhp. A plus side or down ( dending on ears) is you will gain more bass in your exhaust note. On my 93 I run long tubes to a off road y-pipe into a 4in i-pipe to a stock muffler with the square tips. I've yet to hear a car sound like mine.
hp for life is offline   Reply With Quote