Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Standard microfiber chenille wash mitts vs. the new Premium Microfiber Chenille Mitts

In this thread I announced the four new, plush, Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts that we are now carrying at Autopia-CarCare.com: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...u-covered.html

Several of you asked for quick feedback regarding the difference between the new mitts and standard microfiber chenille mitts.

The green standard chenille mitt is one the left, the new Microfiber Chenille mitt is on the right (purple). In terms of external dimensions (length and width) they are very similar. Because the new mitt is significantly more plush, it stands about 30% taller.

A close up of the actual Chenille nap shows a signifcant difference. The new Microfiber Chenille Mitts feature a pile that is 40% more plush and more densely backed. What you cannot see is how soft the new mitts are. These are incredible.

I placed both in a 5 gallon BLACKFIRE bucket of water.

The new Microfiber Chenille absorbed more water, as you can in the pictures; the nap actually swelled tremendously more. Each fiber appeared to be twice the size as the standard mitt.

To test the volume of water (and those water/soap solution) each held I grabbed a small green bucket that I use to mop the house. It has a graduated numbers on the inside.

First I rung the standard mitt out.

Here is the water in the bucket.

Because the marking are not easy to see in the picture I highlighted them below.

Just under the "1" marking.

I emptied the bucket then repeated the test with the new Microfiber Chenille mitt.

The water volume was significantly higher.

With the markings highlighted.

As you can see, not only are the new Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts larger, but they also hold more water volume per weight. The new mitts doubled the amount of solution held. What you cannot see, but must feel to appreciate, is how soft the new microfiber is. It is something your paint will thank you for every time you wash it.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Not sure i am understanding the difference in the different colors on the website for the new Micro-Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitts. Are they all the same, but different colors?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Todd@Autopia

When we looked at improving the microfiber chenille design the idea of color coordinating them was definitely cool, but the ultimate goal was to offer the most plush and largest mitts we could. Basically these are the best performing mitts we could come up.

Changes in density, fiber length, or material weight from one to another would negatively impact performance and keep us from meeting out goal.

So each of the mitts is similar, designed to be the best, regardless of color.

The different colors do give the user the opportunity to coordinate with their favorite towels and uses to prevent cross contamination or using a wheel mitt on paint, etc. You can choose which ever color you want and enjoy the same performance!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Rencor

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Yo Todd, welcome to C5. Was wondering when you or AG would join in. Been asking Mike to but never happened.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
Yo Todd, welcome to C5. Was wondering when you or AG would join in. Been asking Mike to but never happened.
Hey Rene!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
papawattz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
chenille sucks!

Give me A 100% cotton wash mit anyday, you can keep these! I just don't like how the chenille mits, don't "sud" up as well as the cotton, and it seems like it "suctions" to your car as your washing it? Problem is I can't find cotton mits anywhere? does anybody know where I can get cotton?
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote