Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #85
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Ok! Have to chime in here....... Had my Manual SS (#1848) for 3.5 weeks now, got 800 miles on it and haven't had not one issue yet! Although I haven't burned the tires yet, (waiting for the 1500 miles), I have gotten on it a couple of times and barked the tires hit'n 2nd and 3rd! I absolutely love the performance of this car and the attention it gets! When I do burn those tires the first time, I won't worry at all IF the out put shaft fails cause I know my dealer and GM will take care of it. That is the difference with this car and the company backing it, there are some oout there that would say.... sorry, you shouldn't have burned your tires and broke it! Nope, GM knows we're burning them and said it was a suppiler problem and are taking care of it!! I say... THANK YOU GM for 1. Kepping us informed and 2. For taking care of it!

Edit: Also forgot to add that on page 8-17 in the owmer manual, it says that if the car is to be used for racing or competitive driving (after break in) the rear axle lubricant must be replaced beforehand so before I do any burnouts.... Royal Purple in the rear to!

Last edited by 2SSJIM; 07-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #86
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Ok! Have to chime in here....... Had my Manual SS (#1848) for 3.5 weeks now, got 800 miles on it and haven't had not one issue yet! Although I haven't burned the tires yet, (waiting for the 1500 miles), I have gotten on it a couple of times and barked the tires hit'n 2nd and 3rd! I absolutely love the performance of this car and the attention it gets! When I do burn those tires the first time, I won't worry at all IF the out put shaft fails cause I know my dealer and GM will take care of it. That is the difference with this car and the company backing it, there are some oout there that would say.... sorry, you shouldn't have burned your tires and broke it! Nope, GM knows we're burning them and said it was a suppiler problem and are taking care of it!! I say... THANK YOU GM for 1. Kepping us informed and 2. For taking care of it!
Since when has GM kept us informed about this. If anything I would give credit to the forum. This issue has been going on for some time and you have not heard a peep from GM. Don't be so naive, you paid good money.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #87
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlack View Post
I hear the occassional funny noise out of my MN6, but it drives fine. With only 1100 miles and a perfect break-in period so far (never exceeded 4000rpm, no stalls, no lugging in a high gear, and never seen 100mph), I really doubt I'll see a problem.

Maybe it'll just be a TSB that the dealers will handle the next time you come in for service.

To McGruff, no one is going to replace your tranny if it isn't broken. Drive it like you normally would, and if it breaks take it in for repair. If it doesn't break I hope you at least enjoyed the time you spent driving it.
Occassional funny noise in a brand new car is not fine...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #88
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
So far, this issue seems to have been limited to a small amount of SSs, so chances are your car will be fine. In the event it's not -- that's what a warranty is for. There's no benefit to babying the car out of fear the tranny will break.
I'm fairly certain that there's more than just "a small amount" that are affected. The fact of the matter is that noone knows yet how small or large the affected number is. If GM knew that it was a limited issue that they've already fixed, they wouldn't be halting production and holding cars in QC. I am confident that we will know MUCH more very soon.

GM was off last week. Now that they're all back on the job, they are studying the issue closely and doing a full triage of the situation. Being that my car was built after the ones who have failed (mid 16000s) but still shipped before they decided to put a hold, I am particularly concerned. I hadn't planned on doing any hard launches anytime soon so it's not a big deal right now but hopefully they understand the full picture soon. I will definitely be going a bit easier on it until we know more. There would be nothing more embarrassing than sitting by the side of the road in a brand new, bright orange Camaro waiting for a tow truck. I would MUCH rather drive it to the dealership to have the transmission replaced on my schedule! IF that's what needs to happen. But like I said, noone knows yet and I'm confident that once GM knows, they'll pass it on to us. That's all we can ask for!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #89
Nezacant

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
We are just a bunch of little kids who cant wait for Christmas.
That is going in my sig! So true!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #90
SECjunky
Penelope is here!

Drives: 2010 2SS Black
i'm glad for this info... my manual SS gets built next week, so I'm glad GM is fixing the problem
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #91
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
so what happens with us 7/13 TPWS with SS M6???

Do we still get built or not??
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #92
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I hate to say this but I'm gonna start looking at used vettes. :(
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #93
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
As reported on homepage.

It's been officially confirmed to us by an official at GM that there is currently a temporary hold on the shipment of Camaro SS models with manual transmissions. The hold affects only V8 models with manual transmissions currently in production, and does not affect V8 automatics nor any V6 models. The following release comes direct from a GM representative to us:

To all members who ordered SS manuals and would like updates on whether your car has been built and has shipped or is being held, please head over to our tracking threads for updates --> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31614

No word yet on potential recalls, if any. We'll bring you updates as they come in to us, so stay tuned.

Glad I purchased an Automatic

Perhaps now, my order will finally be accepted by GM !

Ordered June 10th, 2009 and Still @ 1100

Name:  1010.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  170.9 KB

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #94
SECjunky
Penelope is here!

Drives: 2010 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post

hopefully they would try to fix the problem then build your SS
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post

Yes, it should be built normally, but it will be held in Quality Control until they can be certain the issue is either fixed, or nonexistant.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #96
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECjunky View Post
i'm glad for this info... my manual SS gets built next week, so I'm glad GM is fixing the problem
Slim chance of that... Considering there at 6/25 TPWs and 7/13 TPWs still not built...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #97
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
DO NOT do 6,000 RPMS and then DUMP the clutch.
... wait ... what ... you can't do that with this car?

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #98
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yes, it should be built normally, but it will be held in Quality Control until they can be certain the issue is either fixed, or nonexistant.
Can you support that claim?

Closed Thread