Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Pulled over today... :D

No, this is not an April Fools joke.

I was driving up to Red Lake to do some banking today, it was sleeting (rain/snow mix for those of you's in the warm states) so I was just driving slow with the tunes cranked. I had the cruise control set at 85km/h (limit's 80). Next thing I know, I see the red and blue in my rear view mirror.

Dammit. No way that guy's gonna pull me over for 5 over the limit. I drop my window and get out my licence/registration and wait for him to walk up. "Problem officer?". "Nope. Sorry to alarm you, I just wanted to check out your car."

I'm thinking to myself... OK... weird, but I'll go with it. We ended up chatting for a few minutes about fast cars, the weather, and fishing. He then got back in his car and drove off, leaving me to ponder if I just made an ally on the highway.

Another thing I wanted to share with you all actually happened 5 mins prior to that. I came around a tight corner to find half a dozen deer scattered across the highway about 100yds ahead of me. I quickly punched on the brake. I punched a little too hard I suppose, because I almost went blind from the deceleration (was not expecting that much). I ended up stopped about 75 yds from the deer. lol

Normally I would never slam the brake on the highway, but I just got this car and previous to this I was driving a '72 Praisienne and an '05 Grand Prix and with both of those cars I had to get on the brake pretty hard in order to scrub speed.

Was a good day! 150km's on the highway and a cool little story to tell. Man, I love my SS!!
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Don't you just love it when people talk about your car? I especially love driving and seeing everyone's heads turn and follow you as you go by. Makes you feel real good!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
lol too funny! I had the same thing happen to me yesterday! Out of nowhere this cop appeared, pulled me over and all he wanted to do was check out the interior and under the hood. Nice guy to.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
No, this is not an April Fools joke.

I was driving up to Red Lake to do some banking today, it was sleeting (rain/snow mix for those of you's in the warm states) so I was just driving slow with the tunes cranked. I had the cruise control set at 85km/h (limit's 80). Next thing I know, I see the red and blue in my rear view mirror.

Dammit. No way that guy's gonna pull me over for 5 over the limit. I drop my window and get out my licence/registration and wait for him to walk up. "Problem officer?". "Nope. Sorry to alarm you, I just wanted to check out your car."

I'm thinking to myself... OK... weird, but I'll go with it. We ended up chatting for a few minutes about fast cars, the weather, and fishing. He then got back in his car and drove off, leaving me to ponder if I just made an ally on the highway.

Another thing I wanted to share with you all actually happened 5 mins prior to that. I came around a tight corner to find half a dozen deer scattered across the highway about 100yds ahead of me. I quickly punched on the brake. I punched a little too hard I suppose, because I almost went blind from the deceleration (was not expecting that much). I ended up stopped about 75 yds from the deer. lol

Normally I would never slam the brake on the highway, but I just got this car and previous to this I was driving a '72 Praisienne and an '05 Grand Prix and with both of those cars I had to get on the brake pretty hard in order to scrub speed.

Was a good day! 150km's on the highway and a cool little story to tell. Man, I love my SS!!
Take it for what it's worth, I think it's unethical for the officer to have done that. Like you said, you seem to have a friend on our friendly Ontario Highways.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Devon
Highway Man

While I agree it may be unethical, I am in no way going to complain. I was in no hurry and he was really nice about it. Seemed like a good guy. He was roughly my age and was really interested in the car.

Up here, most of the OPP officers are from down south. They do tours up here for a few years. I can understand that most of them don't like being up here, most of them away from their families. Lots of them can be asses, so I like to think that after this I have a friend. Not one just to look the other way if I do get a little fast, but one who might just save my ass one day if I get into an emergency situation on the highway.

And failing all that, it was just a new experience to me. never been pulled over and not ticketed before
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I give it 3 hours..

Before this blows up, Not the way I would have handled it..would have at least said I got you for the 5+ and just had a friendly conversation. My guess is he got your speed and that gave off the attention to your vehicle, but I would at least open with that..
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
WICG2772
Bring on the sunshine!

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS Rally Ylw/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Don't you just love it when people talk about your car? I especially love driving and seeing everyone's heads turn and follow you as you go by. Makes you feel real good!
"Yes"

On a similar note, I discovered that the cops in town have checked out my car as well (I have the only one in town so far, but its a small town ). My daughter works at one of the local gas stations and knows every cop by name, they come in a lot...donuts...., anyway, one came in last week she said and asked her who the lady was that had the red Charger and now has the yellow Camaro...she says, "Its my mom."
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
While I agree it may be unethical, I am in no way going to complain. I was in no hurry and he was really nice about it. Seemed like a good guy. He was roughly my age and was really interested in the car.

Up here, most of the OPP officers are from down south. They do tours up here for a few years. I can understand that most of them don't like being up here, most of them away from their families. Lots of them can be asses, so I like to think that after this I have a friend. Not one just to look the other way if I do get a little fast, but one who might just save my ass one day if I get into an emergency situation on the highway.

And failing all that, it was just a new experience to me. never been pulled over and not ticketed before
Had a couple of RCMP do that to me a couple of years ago in Revelstoke B.C. and Calgary City Police once.

Had I been thinking, I would have offered the City Police officer a ride. LOL
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I give it 3 hours..

Before this blows up, Not the way I would have handled it..would have at least said I got you for the 5+ and just had a friendly conversation. My guess is he got your speed and that gave off the attention to your vehicle, but I would at least open with that..
He made no mention of my speed other than to say he would expect to see a car like mine going way faster. The police around here have a long drive between towns and they routinely travel 95-110km/h on duty. For example, the nearest town is Red Lake, 70Km north. If you want to go back towards civilization, it's 100KM to the south. Lots of ground to cover and unless the officer is having a bad day, they allow 10-15 over. Remember this is in km/h, not mph. I know it is not much of a difference, but where many roads in the US are 55mp/h, up here that's 95km/h.

If I had been going 95 or over, I would have gotten a ticket. Though my car can go much faster than that, I didn't buy it for speed. Speed kills. I just like the quickness, especially in passing maneuvers. Passing areas on Hwy 105 are short and every second counts. Many vehicles are simply unable to execute a safe pass of a logging or freight truck because they would be hung out in the oncoming lane too long to be safe.

Anyways, I'm rambling again... these drinks are getting to me
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICG2772 View Post
"Yes"

On a similar note, I discovered that the cops in town have checked out my car as well (I have the only one in town so far, but its a small town ). My daughter works at one of the local gas stations and knows every cop by name, they come in a lot...donuts...., anyway, one came in last week she said and asked her who the lady was that had the red Charger and now has the yellow Camaro...she says, "Its my mom."
That's awesome!

I know how it is, as I'm in the same situation. Only one in town. The local cops now know my car very well. My town is small, I mean 1200 people small. (and that's an optimistic count). It's only the highway cops that are stationed in Red Lake that don't know me yet, but I'm sure after today, most of them will.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
WICG2772
Bring on the sunshine!

Quote:
That's awesome!

I know how it is, as I'm in the same situation. Only one in town. The local cops now know my car very well. My town is small, I mean 1200 people small. (and that's an optimistic count). It's only the highway cops that are stationed in Red Lake that don't know me yet, but I'm sure after today, most of them will.
I thought so too...my daughter was pleased as well, lol. Yep, my town is that small too, just over 1100 (on a good day)

Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICG2772 View Post
I thought so too...my daughter was pleased as well, lol. Yep, my town is that small too, just over 1100 (on a good day)

To small towns and sexy head turning cars!

BTW, what town is it, I might have heard of it as I know a lot of people from Wisconsin that come up here to fish.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Definitely unethical but also the best type of pullover you can possibly get!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
WICG2772
Bring on the sunshine!

Quote:
To small towns and sexy head turning cars!

BTW, what town is it, I might have heard of it as I know a lot of people from Wisconsin that come up here to fish.
Turtle Lake, about 3-4 hours? from the Canadian border. Yep, there's quite a few here that go up there to fish, I hear stories a lot