Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #43
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Well, I gave up, I know there is no way I can afford it, so I ordered a 2012 2SS/RS 6M on 09/30/'11....................
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Not like you "settled", that is fine looking ride! Congrats!!
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #45
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
I think the numbers will be sufficient. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of orders that people decide not to go through with once the actual price comes out...
So, I do believe we will see some of the first order cars on lots.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #46
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
Well, I gave up, I know there is no way I can afford it, so I ordered a 2012 2SS/RS 6M on 09/30/'11....................
CONGRATS'!!! That's going to be a killer ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Not like you "settled", that is fine looking ride! Congrats!!
^^^ THIS ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
I think the numbers will be sufficient. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of orders that people decide not to go through with once the actual price comes out...
So, I do believe we will see some of the first order cars on lots.
I almost hope a little of what you're saying happens. While I know we're not going to have any influence on what GM calculates the price to be, if we, as consumers, refuse to pay for mark-ups, I'm GLAD ZL1s will sit on dealer lots. While I can appreciate where they're coming from, I don't have to pay that price when if I have a little more patience, intitial shortages will be made-up-for after the plant catches up to demand. Demand will drop after initial introduction, and I bet, once we get into '13 MY, there aren't going to be a whole lot of mark-ups people will be biting on. If we don't pay mark-up, they can't charge it

GM will build as many as demand dictates. Of course there are going to be shortages at the beginning, but they've already said they aren't limiting production, so unless they change their minds (which I hope not and which I think they'd be foolish to do), demand will be reached soon.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Well on a positive note here. By the time the 2012 Zl1's will be going into
production some time in the first quarter of 2013. All the other camaro's
for the model year 2012 will have been already in production for 6 like months. Meaning the the dealers will already have ample inventory of those cars on there lots . Plus the fact that winter time is NOT the best time to sell cars. This would lead me to believe that they will be producing alot more of the ZL1's during the first quarter of
next year.
The limiting factor for the ZL1 probably won't be the plant itself. In theory, they could probably make 10,000 ZL1s any month they choose as long as they had the parts to do it. But the problem is that GM has to tell its suppliers that it plans on building say 800 ZL1s per month initially, trailing off to maybe half that towards the end of its production run. Those suppliers have to then prepare themselves for that level of demand, there will be some wiggle room but not all that much. They certainly can't tool up to make a couple thousand in the first month or two only to have it drop off to a couple hundred after that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #48
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Since not a lot of these cars will be sold, there will be no problem with Chevrolet keeping up with demand.
Not many people except for Camaro enthusiasts will buy in the first place, secondly the price will be pretty prohibitive for most folks, and third, only a minority will be interested in the performance type offered on this car.
A poll was done on this site of actual ZL1 potential buyers, and I believe it still sits at less than 50, so just because the hype is big on this site it still doesn't reflect large numbers of buyers.
People aren't going to buy this car as a daily driver, so it's a recreational car. How many people can afford or justify a 60-70k secondary car? not many.
Don't get caught up in the hype or the greedy dealer speculation...there will I think, be plenty of ZL1 to go around......
I don't see more than about 500 units being required for 2012.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #49
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Don't get caught up in the hype or the greedy dealer speculation...there will I think, be plenty of ZL1 to go around......
I don't see more than about 500 units being required for 2012.
You forget the potential of manipulated demand. Let's just say for a minute you have 500 lined up with a deposit. "Oh, sorry, we're only going to make, um, 425 of them." All of a sudden, there's this manufactured demand. People fearing they won't get one will try and buy one immediately. Thus supporting the dealer markups (not directly, but it always happens on high demand cars). If you control your supply to just less than demand, they will sell. And for whatever a dealer wants most likely. And regardless if they were flow through or not, there will be markups somehwere. And some dumba** will oblige. Because they don't know about waiting. If you pay over MSRP for a car you want that, assuming they'll make enough to go around, you either have way too much money or way to little financial sense to know what you're doing.

And don't forget the ones that bite off more than they can chew. I'll bet dimes to donuts that within the first year, you'll see 1 or more ZL1s for sale on this forum. You could get yours slightly used and save some $$ too.

At some point, no matter the car, saturation levels come and the dealer markups go away. Those "gotta have it firsters" usually end up getting fisted but if they don't mind, I don't mind. I'm not one that has to have something right away, so I'll wait and save thousands. It isn't like it's a primary car (or shouldn't be). So the purchase will be a calculated one.

Rule one: Don't believe everything you hear from GM brass. They simply want you to buy one of their cars. It's how they make their bread and butter. Whatever they say that day could change tomorrow because they're only able to say what they know up to that point. Nothing wrong with that, but the bean counters get involved then things can get squirrely.

Nobody knows for sure how many will sell because there's so many variables. I remember discussions that bean counters said the ressurection of the 5th gen Camaro needed 80K units to be viable. Looks like that gamble paid off. Blew that out of the water.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #50
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
at oshawa/BBOMG3, one of the bigwigs on the camaro team (forget who it was) said they'd build as many as they could sell.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #51
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Actually, I am one that will use my ZL1 as a DD. I'm not sure how many of us there will be, but I'm certain I won't be the only one.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #52
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Possibly, but there are some potential customers that will pay MSRP, whatever it is, but, on principle, won't pay a dime of ADM, regardless of MSRP. It will be interesting to see how many 2012 ZL1s are sold with ADM.
I doubt we will ever know. Chances are there will be people who pay the ADM but will never own up to doing so. Instead, they will brag about how they were able to negotiate a great deal or somehow the dealer cut them some sort of deal because they were a special customer. Don't you know, almost everybody that is looking to buy a first-run ZL1 has a hookup to get one at MSRP or less? Didn't you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Actually, I am one that will use my ZL1 as a DD. I'm not sure how many of us there will be, but I'm certain I won't be the only one.
Good for you, but you are likely to be in a big minority. There are tons of people on this very site who won't even use their plainjane trim Camaro as a daily driver. Heck, some of them are afraid of getting their car rained on.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #53
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
I missed that memo! Could I get a copy please?
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #54
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
I missed that memo! Could I get a copy please?
I didn't get it either! But look around at all the posts of people who say they are already on some sort of "list" with their dealer to get a ZL1 and you'll see many of them state they are getting it for MSRP or less.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #55
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Got this email today from one dealer I’m working with. Haven’t received confirmation from the other two dealers about price yet, but I’ll get that next week before I decide where I’m ordering it from. I don’t know why people continue to believe MSRP is going to be impossible to get.

I spoke with one of the managers, Xxxx Xxxxx, and he said the selling price would be MSRP. I will find out what the steps will be in regards to placing an order. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again and we look forward to earning your business.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxx Xxxxx
Head of Business Development
Xxxxx Chevrolet
XXX-XXX-XXXX

IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #56
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Got this email today from one dealer I’m working with. Haven’t received confirmation from the other two dealers about price yet, but I’ll get that next week before I decide where I’m ordering it from. I don’t know why people continue to believe MSRP is going to be impossible to get.

I spoke with one of the managers, Xxxx Xxxxx, and he said the selling price would be MSRP. I will find out what the steps will be in regards to placing an order. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again and we look forward to earning your business.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxx Xxxxx
Head of Business Development
Xxxxx Chevrolet
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Not impossible, but more likely rare. If you have a dealer who is willing to offer you the car for MSRP, you better make sure you have that guaranteed in writing before you place your order. Talk is cheap. Unfortunately, many salespeople will tell you what you want to hear just to keep them in consideration for the sale but are unable/unwilling to follow through when the deal is imminent. They count on you desiring the car so much you will be willing to pay a markup versus walking away from the deal when the car is sitting in your face versus an order in the job bank.