Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #43
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Just as an aside, I broke my engine in the "Tracy Way" and have zero problems at 18K+ miles so far. No oil consumption and very little was showing up in my catch can.

And I check my oil regularly.

John B.
But your supposed to follow to lawyer break-in procedure written in the manual for maximum performance! Lmao.

Tracy's way for me for both my Camaro's! My V6 and now my SS have never lost a drop of oil and my SS drive like a beast.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #44
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
how to remove the v-6 one??
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #45
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
I haven't done mine yet, but what I've heard is you just gently pull and twist it out.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #46
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
With a plyers, grab at the base and twist to break free, then pluu straight up.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
Chad 2012 RS

Drives: 2012 Convertible 2LT/RS
I'm just over 400 miles on my 2012 2LT/RS. It had 90 miles when we bought it and we drove it home 175 miles at highway speeds, 75 - 80 MPH. Would that have helped in with the early break-in? I have been getting on it some just because it's fun but I've been trying to really stay off hitting it hard due to the break-in. My wife is the main driver and won't be getting on it too much, except when merging or passing, etc...

Should I go find an open Oklahoma country road and have some fun every couple days until it hits a 1,000 miles?

She's getting ready for a road trip to Alabama here the end of next week so she's going to put on close to 2,000 miles, mostly highway.

Another thing - What is GM's fix when/if oil consumption becomes an issue?
Chad 2012 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #48
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad 2012 RS View Post
I'm just over 400 miles on my 2012 2LT/RS. It had 90 miles when we bought it and we drove it home 175 miles at highway speeds, 75 - 80 MPH. Would that have helped in with the early break-in? I have been getting on it some just because it's fun but I've been trying to really stay off hitting it hard due to the break-in. My wife is the main driver and won't be getting on it too much, except when merging or passing, etc...

Should I go find an open Oklahoma country road and have some fun every couple days until it hits a 1,000 miles?

She's getting ready for a road trip to Alabama here the end of next week so she's going to put on close to 2,000 miles, mostly highway.

Another thing - What is GM's fix when/if oil consumption becomes an issue?
Congrats on the vehicle!

We also hope you have a fun and safe trip to Alabama. Just wanted to post some helpful tips for anyone interested during new vehicle break-in for the first 2,414 km (1,500 mi) for the 2012:

. Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
. Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
. Do not drive above 160 km/h (100 mph).
. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4,000 rpm.

Wish you all the best ,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #49
Chad 2012 RS

Drives: 2012 Convertible 2LT/RS
Thanks for the tips!

Full throttle starts??? I've never done that with any vehicle. It doesn't even sound right.
Chad 2012 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #50
SC2150
Account Suspended

Here is a recent email we received from a customer going through this nightmare. We cant reverse all of these, but if we can stop further ingestion and get the ringlands clean and rings freed up the results are as follows:

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definitely worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
V8 LS3 is in the valley cover assy, L99 is the rear of the drivers side valve cover.

The V6 is the one with the issue more than the V8. Most V8's dont have the orfice clog like the V6, and its 7/64" drill....not 5/64ths like I posted earlier.

It comes out pretty easy on the V6, V8 you cant remove it so valve cover has to come off.

On the v6, twist the base with a plyers and pull up and it pops out. Drill, clean, and push back in until fully seated.

Here is a pic of before:

Here is after:
Dumb question? Where's this located to do this mod... Thanks in advance!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Dumb question? Where's this located to do this mod... Thanks in advance!
Follow the tube off the catch can that goes to the rear of the engine, not the one to the manifold. Disconnect the clip and pull out the orifice.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-06-2013 at 08:38 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #53
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
If you want to read some issues with the 3.6 go to the Acadia forum. Tons of issues over there on the timing chains as well as their transmissions. We have a 2011 Acadia, got rid of an 08 with 80k miles on it and no oil issues at all. No break-in driving, just plain old normal driving with the occasional redline shifts for on ramps and passing. It had a steady diet of full synthetic group IV oil. Now our 2011 is doing well, no consumption issues and it currently has 33k miles on it. I have been getting used oil analysis on each vehicle and they all come back the same. The oil is beat to death at 5k miles. High fuel dilution in the oil which will kill any oil. So the best thing is to keep the oil changed no later than 5k miles and run a full synthetic and all should go well. If you go longer then your just asking for issues in these V6 engines. It is also the reason GM recalibrated the OLM. Ours use to go up to 9k miles before it got down to 10%, now it's at 5k every time, no matter what our driving style is like.

You will also find on the Acadia forum there are several with oil build up in the intake tubing.

Last edited by Mouse6.2; 06-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #54
SC2150
Account Suspended

Good info mouse. But GM still officially states "there is no issue with excess oil consumption or valve deposits due to our robust design".

That is all I am sharing, is there are PR talking heads whos job is to deflect and subdue any issues like this, and us, the techs that work on them and see this daily and then are called liars by the koolaide drinkers that cant imagine they could be mislead. The fact is, these engines are amazing and engineered to do far more, yet a few cost cutting measures end up causing all these issues that are so easily prevented.....but the talking heads still insist we are all imagining this, and the koolaide drinkers "GM/FORD/Chrys/Toyota/etc. would NEVER make a car/truck not equipped with something so needed as the oil separating system.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #55
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Follow the tube off the catch can that goes to the read of the engine, not the one to the manifold. Disconnect the clip and pull out the orifice.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #56
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 View Post
If you want to read some issues with the 3.6 go to the Acadia forum. Tons of issues over there on the timing chains as well as their transmissions. We have a 2011 Acadia, got rid of an 08 with 80k miles on it and no oil issues at all. No break-in driving, just plain old normal driving with the occasional redline shifts for on ramps and passing. It had a steady diet of full synthetic group IV oil. Now our 2011 is doing well, no consumption issues and it currently has 33k miles on it. I have been getting used oil analysis on each vehicle and they all come back the same. The oil is beat to death at 5k miles. High fuel dilution in the oil which will kill any oil. So the best thing is to keep the oil changed no later than 5k miles and run a full synthetic and all should go well. If you go longer then your just asking for issues in these V6 engines. It is also the reason GM recalibrated the OLM. Ours use to go up to 9k miles before it got down to 10%, now it's at 5k ever time, no matter what our driving style is like.

You will also find on the Acadia forum there are several with oil build up in the intake tubing.
I have been saying this all along.
Changing the oil sooner is cheap insurance. GM changed the oil monitor.