Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Rate my product list and a couple questions

Hello,
I have been researching, reading, and watching detailing videos for a while now, and I have most things ordered, just need to pick up a couple more things. I just wanted to see if I have overlooked something I should get as I have not polished a car before. I want to make sure I have everything before I start, and to make sure my steps are also correct.

1) Rinse Car
2) Iron removal (Ordered Car Pro Iron X)
3) Wash Car (Optimum car wash, with blackfire foam gun, and 2 bucket wash with grit guard)
4) Clay bar (Meguires)
5) Wipe down with Iso. alcohol
6) Polish...this is where I have been researching a bunch. Think I am going to go with the M105/M205 combo. Porter cable polisher, and here are the pads I was looking at? http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ch-bundle.html
7) Glaze (Chemical Guys Black light)
8) Sealant (Blackfire wet diamond)

I am going to order some microfiber madness: Crazy Pile, Dry Me Crazy, and also the Incredemitt.
I also purchased all of the needed quick connects, and shut off valve.

If something needs tweaked, or if I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks,
Travis
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Skip the glaze. You don't need it if you polish. List looks great
Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Travis104

Do you think the 105 with those pads will be too aggressive?
I have already ordered the glaze. I figured that it could hide something while I get more practice with the polished and don't need it.
Do my steps look sound? Just want to make sure I do things in the correct order.

Glad you said the list looks great, I went by your recommendation list...lol
Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Do the iron removal after the wash. You use a sponge during the iron removal process and if done previous to wash, you will grind that dirt in.

Make sure you do everything in shade or garage.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
It was my experience on my full correction, that smaller pads were needed for certain areas of the car. I have the Griots Garage polisher.
It is my understanding that you can use as small as 3" pads on the PC7424XP, but the counterweight needs to be changed. Smaller pads will also benefit you after your full correction for doing spot polishing. If your ordering MM towels, speak with Corey @ Carprousa, he will be able to give you correct smaller pads. Discount code 15OFF if you place the order online, you'll get a 15% discount on everything except the MM stuff.

The technique used for the smaller pads is different when your using them on the concave and convex areas of the car, this video shows the proper technique.

Your going to love the way your car looks after you remove the defects!

Some type of light, a Brinkmann , Flex, or Husky will help you hone your technique and gauge your progress.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 02-19-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
looks like a good list, if your technique is solid you should be good to go. Don't necessarily think glaze is a waste but for the most part it is temporary when it comes to a well maintained surface. it gives you a little more pop and helps make black glossier. just depends on what you like. I like to try different stuff so I like to mess with a glaze. but it is not necessary to achieve a perfect deep reflective shine.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Travis104

Thanks for the tip on the microfiber stuff. I will look into the 3 inch pads. I know my technique will be jacked up at first, but I will practice on my cruze first, then move to the truck before the zl1.
This may sound dumb, but do I need to use the 105 and the cutting pads on the entire car, or just where the swirls are?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the microfiber stuff. I will look into the 3 inch pads. I know my technique will be jacked up at first, but I will practice on my cruze first, then move to the truck before the zl1.
This may sound dumb, but do I need to use the 105 and the cutting pads on the entire car, or just where the swirls are?
I would suggest starting with 205 since it is the least aggressive of the products, typically 105 before 205 since 205 is more of a fine or finishing polish. if 205 doesn't get the scratches out then go to 105. if the scratches are fine 205 would probably be all you need. start with 205 and a white pad, then maybe an orange pad since it has more correcting ability verses the white pad before jumping to 105.

the 105 I would use on the most neglected or deeper scratched/rougher spots. and if you have smaller pads like the 4 inch focus pads like Adams sells that you could use those for spot correction if need be. for fine scratches that only show up in direct sun light 205 would probably all you need for those spots.

My 2 Cents

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Travis104

Autogeek is running a 15% off sale on everything including polishers. I am just going to step up and order this kit. It should have everything i need and seems like a good price.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garag...r-club-hd.html
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
Travis104

I will try the least aggressive and then move to more aggressive. I have been trying to find reviews on the griots pads, but so far the only reviews I have found were on Amazon. Some had good things to say and others didn't. It was kept md of 50/50
Old 02-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
Autogeek is running a 15% off sale on everything including polishers. I am just going to step up and order this kit. It should have everything i need and seems like a good price.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garag...r-club-hd.html
I have that 6 inch polisher and it works great, also have the orange grey and white pads and have nothing negative to say about them. there excellent.