Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
New Damper Options

Alright, last summer I had my 2LT lowered with Eibach pro kit springs and the ride is pretty bad. I've gotten use to it and don't really notice anymore, but to other people it's rather hellacious. My brother-in-law was in the passenger seat for about three hours and he said he would never ride in the car again

I believe the problem is that the dampers can't keep up with the spring rate, because after the car hits a bump it reverberates longer than it should. I have absolute no idea what I need to get to make the ride better, short of coil overs. If there isn't anything that's fine. I also have a 27mm front sway bar and 28mm rear bar. Any suggestions? I'm taking a 4,400 mile round trip this summer so it would be nice to have better dampers.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
bigpunn03

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
[QUinTE=130R;7464457]That's the biggest problem with drop springs: the dampers aren't matched to the higher spring rate and you can experience what you're experiencing.

The cheapest way to go is the BC, Megan route. You can get the BC BR series for under $1K. It's a pretty big jump from there to anything else...[/QUOTE]

Im In the same boat... Im thinking of going with koni Str
bigpunn03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Austin45
The Logistician

I like those, what kind of prices are you finding? The best I can get is $550.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
I like those, what kind of prices are you finding? The best I can get is $550.
Your almost in budget coilover price.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Austin45
The Logistician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Your almost in budget coilover price.
Coilovers are 2k, so that's still 1500 less. Even if you include the $150 I spent for Eibachs I still saved $1,300.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Koni are on sale on EBAY for $388. I just started a thread about replacing my stock struts with the KONI Street orange. I don't think the yellow adjustable struts are available for the Camaro yet. Anyone have these and can comment would help.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Austin45
The Logistician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Koni are on sale on EBAY for $388. I just started a thread about replacing my stock struts with the KONI Street orange. I don't think the yellow adjustable struts are available for the Camaro yet. Anyone have these and can comment would help.
Here is the link for everyone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-STR-T-S...2bfe34&vxp=mtr
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You can get BC coilovers for $1k. Personally I would tell you to go that route.

Also, did you ever have your bushings timed? That can make some difference in the bouncy department. Another thing to remember is the Camaro is a performance car. No matter how you slice it or what kind of coilovers you install the car isn't going to ride like a Cadillac. Still I find it pretty reasonable compared to other performance cars I've had in the past.

Even with coilovers I find some streets way worse than others. As a general rule most streets are fine but I come across a few that have small dips and bumps that just seemed to really toss my car around. Sucky thing for me is the main road into my area is the worst offender.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Austin45
The Logistician

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Also, did you ever have your bushings timed? That can make some difference in the bouncy department. Another thing to remember is the Camaro is a performance car. No matter how you slice it or what kind of coilovers you install the car isn't going to ride like a Cadillac. Still I find it pretty reasonable compared to other performance cars I've had in the past.

Even with coilovers I find some streets way worse than others. As a general rule most streets are fine but I come across a few that have small dips and bumps that just seemed to really toss my car around. Sucky thing for me is the main road into my area is the worst offender.
Yes, I did have the bushings timed. Personally, I don't want a Cadillac ride in the Camaro, but it just gets a little bit over abusive at times, and the set of coil overs that I want are 2k...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Even with coilovers I find some streets way worse than others. As a general rule most streets are fine but I come across a few that have small dips and bumps that just seemed to really toss my car around.
Sucky thing for me is the main road into my area is the worst offender.
My supercars are the same at times on the bad roads. May be smoother due to the adjustability, though I think these and the b/c's, and others is more due to the stiff spring rates
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I have removed several sets of eibach's for clients and replace them with the Hotchkis 1 inch Sport Springs and that takes care of the issue. The eibach's are a very harsh riding spring in the 5th gens. There is a reason they are the cheapest brand name out there.
I have installed all different brands of Springs, the hotchkis has the best ride, and you will see an improvement in your handling as well, especially on rougher roads.
If your shocks or struts for leaking, they should be replaced when you replace the springs With the eibach's I have seen a high failure rate to those. I normally upgrade to the 1LE shocks and struts as replacements.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
The pro kit isn't harsh because they are bad springs. They are harsh, because they have an extremely high (read: stiff) spring rate.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
I have removed several sets of eibach's for clients and replace them with the Hotchkis 1 inch Sport Springs and that takes care of the issue. The eibach's are a very harsh riding spring in the 5th gens. There is a reason they are the cheapest brand name out there.
I have installed all different brands of Springs, the hotchkis has the best ride, and you will see an improvement in your handling as well, especially on rougher roads.
If your shocks or struts for leaking, they should be replaced when you replace the springs With the eibach's I have seen a high failure rate to those. I normally upgrade to the 1LE shocks and struts as replacements.
Same here.. We actually quit offering Eibach due to so many complaints of a bouncy ride. The Hotchkis springs with 1LE struts are a great combo.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
bigpunn03

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
check with BMR folks. I just purchased them from Tire Rack Today. My car has around 69K, I have Pfadt drop springs and the ride is a little harsher than stock. I had my bushings timed and everything has been fine up until the last 2k miles every little bump I hit feels like I'm in a low rider.. so I figured had to be the struts. Should have them installed by the end of the week. Austin45 I will let you know how she handles.
bigpunn03 is offline   Reply With Quote