Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Kingdipsy
KingDipsy

Drives: 08 BMW 550i, IOM SS/RS order
How bad is the Understeer?

So for the guys who already have their cars, I'd like to know how bad the under steer really is...compared to other cars you own or have driven. I have a 2LTSS/RS on order, and I guess I'm getting a little nervous with each article in the mags commenting on it, and to be honest, the latest Motortrend is putting me near the edge! The way that tester described it, you'd think he was driving a '73 Eldorado.

So, is it really that bad? I've had BMW's in the past (3, M3) and currently drive a 550i. I've also had a couple of F-body's. Obviously the M3 was best in this area that I have personally driven, but the 550i holds it's own in the twisties for a larger car. I don't expect the Camaro to be an M3, but I would like it to have above average steering response.

Let me know how the SS compares to other cars you've driven...
Kingdipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It's a rear wheel drive monster!! Of course it has understeer. However, nothing that can't be fixed with bolt ons such as sway bars and coil overs.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
No such thing as a 2LTSS/RS, that would be a 14 cylinder engine 8 + 6. If you go look in the wheel tire suspension heading there are some videos and products and support that are handling related. I got sway bars waiting for mine.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
I test drove a new 2009 M3 coupe a few days ago. Nice car, but honestly it didn't feel any more handling inspired than my '09 Pontiac G8 GT. The Camaro is a larger car than the M3, but I'm pleased with the steering/handling for its size. It drives nearly identical to the G8 (same platform) but with less body roll.

Of course, my C6 Z06 makes all of the above seem like barges. No comparison there.

The factory tires are contributing to the poor handling tests. If you go with wider aftermarket tires, that solves the problem in most cases. The M3 comes with better tires. The G8 with the sport package even has stickier tires.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
I don't notice any significant difference in my SS than steering was in my G35. Maybe I'm not sure what to look for?

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
so pretty much all Chevy would have to do is offer a stiffer suspension package with a swaybar and the under steer issues would be resolved?

Well Chevy... offer this and nobody will be able to complain!
cab2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Not sure where your concern is coming from.

If you are on the track, maybe you would notice, but no more than other large RWD cars.

In "agressive" street driving, you shouldn't see this.

Many cars are tuned to understeer rather than oversteer. Porsche due to the rear engine/rear wheel drive will have more of a tendancy to oversteer.

So I haven't seen a problem, but I haven't had an LT or SS on a track to the limit.

But again, I give you awesome props for putting a title on your thread that indicates there is a problem that doesn't exist. You are right up there with the very best.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I owned a 350Z and it felt tighter than the Camaro...but it should!
The Z could take the corners tighter...but the Camaro can come out of the corners much faster. The Camaro feels heavier than the Z (again, because it is!)...but it's nothing that you'll notice unless you're driving hardcore at the track.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
No such thing as a 2LTSS/RS, that would be a 14 cylinder engine 8 + 6. If you go look in the wheel tire suspension heading there are some videos and products and support that are handling related. I got sway bars waiting for mine.
I like where your going with this, rear mount the 6, turbocharge it, supercharge the 8. Chuck the back seats, who needs em. Connect the 6 to the front wheels, do a fancy programming to switch on and off the motors or whatever...... Would be fun
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
I test drove an SS for 2 days and it cornered better than I was expecting. However I drove on the street and was not interested in street racing around town. The pros at the track say it has a very pronounced understeer so they know what they are talking about. If you are interested in road racing or street racing around corners at high speed then I guess it would be a big issue. I bought it go straight fast so it's a non issue for me.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I have driven numerous performance cars....and to ME understeer on my 2SS is NOT an issue. This a RWD monster....and while I have not had it on the track I have driven it rather aggressively on the street and like I said, this is a non issue with me.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
All you need to do is add a wing.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Kingdipsy
KingDipsy

Drives: 08 BMW 550i, IOM SS/RS order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

If you are on the track, maybe you would notice, but no more than other large RWD cars.

Many cars are tuned to understeer rather than oversteer. Porsche due to the rear engine/rear wheel drive will have more of a tendancy to oversteer.

So I haven't seen a problem, but I haven't had an LT or SS on a track to the limit.

But again, I give you awesome props for putting a title on your thread that indicates there is a problem that doesn't exist. You are right up there with the very best.

Thanks for your "independent ranking". To assist in your understanding, let me explain further that almost every review I have read about the car has been positive. However, in almost every case, the review criticizes the amount of under-steer present in the car. Since there are none of these cars available on dealer lots in my area, I have not been able to experience the handling of the car. I was simply asking guys that already have the car to place their opinion of the under-steer into context against other cars they have driven. I was looking for a more "real world" view as opposed to one where the tester has just stepped out of a Z06 or an R8 at a race track and into the SS.

Thanks to all the others whom answered my reply thoughtfully here; much help!
Kingdipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

If you are driving hard enough to notice it pushing, then you need to be on the track. I've had mine on the track and yes there is an understeer.
Nothing that can't be fixed with some suspension mods.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote