Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #113
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
So he lied. I would have bought the ZL1 anyway even if he would have told me everything he knew. So for me....no biggie. Next topic.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #114
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Ok this is a quote from a thread Fbodfather started about the Z/28. I hope this answers the controversy.
Nice find! I do remember this now, but I was focused on the part about Z/28 with the LS7 I had so long discussed, even starting numerous threads to create excitement for the possibility of it. I understand what he did and had to do, and still respect him based on reading his post and such although I've never met him.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #115
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Nice find! I do remember this now, but I was focused on the part about Z/28 with the LS7 I had so long discussed, even starting numerous threads to create excitement for the possibility of it. I understand what he did and had to do, and still respect him based on reading his post and such although I've never met him.
Agree.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #116
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Me. In the drivers' chair. LOL
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #117
RXV_POOR

Drives: Looking to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Actually the 1LE is kinda the "Z28" as far as performance goes. The 1LE has a great suspension/chassis, great starting point for adding power, and I believe they're still under $40k. If you're looking for a car that's a solid corner carver, good on the street, good as a daily driver, it's hard to beat. For people who like to performance drive, it's a great car. It's not "ultimate" like the Z/28 is going to be but it's not "ultimate" cost either. And how many people who think they want a true Z/28 are "ultimate" drivers? Get the 1LE and spend a couple grand going to a racing driving school like Bondurant's or others around the country. You'll get much more value out of that than toodling around town in an ultimate expense Z/28 that you're nowhere near skilled enough to fully utilize.

It all depends on whether you're a true performance driver or a boulevard cruiser who just wants to be seen in a status symbol. GM is offering a full range of Camaros, from the entry-level 1LE V6 to the ultimate track car Z/28. There's a Camaro for everything from cruising around town, taking road trips, drag racing, autocross and road course. Complaining because they aren't making the EXACT car EXACTLY the way you want it is kind of silly; it's a muscle car... just buy the one that's the closest to what you want and mod it like everyone else does.
I've been having similar thoughts. As much as I may lust after a new Z28 & I do really want one, I find myself asking if I can make a 1le close for less money. I test drove a zl1 & was surprised that I liked it. I didn't think I would because of the weight of the car. The zl1 is a very nice & well rounded car.

So my internal question is can I make a 1le 100 lbs lighter & add 80 hp for around $20, 000? I believe I can but the braking issue will be difficult to over come.

I have considered the Hennessey HPE750 also but I haven't driven one.
RXV_POOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #118
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_POOR View Post
I've been having similar thoughts. As much as I may lust after a new Z28 & I do really want one, I find myself asking if I can make a 1le close for less money. I test drove a zl1 & was surprised that I liked it. I didn't think I would because of the weight of the car. The zl1 is a very nice & well rounded car.

So my internal question is can I make a 1le 100 lbs lighter & add 80 hp for around $20, 000? I believe I can but the braking issue will be difficult to over come.

Add the ZL1 6 pot front Brembo's and your still way under $20K.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 05-27-2013 at 04:54 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #119
RXV_POOR

Drives: Looking to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Add the ZL1 6 pot front Brembo's and your still way under $20K.
I was considering Brembo mono blocks. Do you know if there is much difference?
RXV_POOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #120
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
It's missing a roll cage, tow hooks and an external shutoff. Since the car isn't really meant for the street then why not have these items. At the very least the latter two.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #121
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I was considering Brembo mono blocks. Do you know if there is much difference?
Not sure.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #122
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

Absolutely you can for less than half that. Wheels and tires about $3k, should remove about 40 lbs total; battery $150... 25-30 lbs of reduction; Racing Brake rotors, lines and pads... about $2,500, reduces weight by about 24 lbs.; remove engine cover... -5 lbs. All that together is 89-94 lbs of reduction with most of it unsprung rotating weight. So for roughly $6k on top of a 1LE you have a great track car.

The Z/28 will have all kinds of exotic goodies you won't, but you won't be out another $20k for it either. For $20k you can buy tires and brake pads for years worth of driving fun. You can always add power later; get good with the car as it is on the track and you'll better be able to use power when you do add it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #123
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I agree with other who say that for what it designed for...it is not missing anything. If anything, it could stand to miss more things...like #'s.

I am warming up to the idea of getting one. I would never get rid of my ZL1 as I believe it to be the best Camaro ever made, even over the forthcoming Z/28. However, I want the Z/28 because I have a strong feeling that this will be the last true Z/28 ever made. I am less and less confident that the 6th Gen Camaro will embrace the Camaro lineage that the current models do. I hope I am wrong but I don't want to pass on the Z/28 and end up being right. So, with that in mind, the Z/28 for me is exactly what it is supposed to be.
Lets see if I got this right

You prefer to be wrong but right , than right but wrong by not getting the Z/28 !!!

I thing you are right on been wrong
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #124
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
My driveway and because I don't have the money right now.
I can get you a loan , for the car and the driveway
And since the driveway is ( I'm assuming to your home ) it can be tax deductible
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #125
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I don't think you quite understand what I was getting at. Take away all the badges and preconceived ideas of what a Z/28 should be. Then look at the current ZL1 just on paper with out the ZL1 name. Erase ZL1, put in Z/28 name, and 99% of the complainers will be happy.
What you're asking for is called "revisionist history". If you could start from scratch today without either designation being in the past, sure, but what was done has already been done and can't be undone.

For those of us who were there "back in the day" (and probably some of the younger but more conscientious readers of automotive history), that would ALWAYS feel "backward". The ZL1 was always about big torque and brute power first/last/always, while the Z/28 was about having a more even "balance" between adequate high-revving power and the other performance attributes.

Maybe it's the complainers who need to adjust their thinking and get past the dilution of the Z/28 name by its Z28 descendants (not that the Z28s were all that bad for their time).

Quote:
I personally could care less if the new Z/28 lost the badge was named something totally different/stupid. I'm looking for what the car was built for. Label it whatever you want. I don't care.
The name doesn't make it any faster, although it absolutely is a nice move for those who remember the original Trans-Am series to have a completely worthy successor to the name once again. That said, calling this the ZL1 (with that designation's drag racing connotation) would be flat-out wrong.

Ultimately, the important thing is that a street-legal car as single-purpose and as close to affordable as this . . . is even being built. If it's too Spartan for most peoples' usual purposes and preferences, that's not really the car's problem. "Halo cars" aren't necessarily for everybody.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #126
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What you're asking for is called "revisionist history". If you could start from scratch today without either designation being in the past, sure, but what was done has already been done and can't be undone.

For those of us who were there "back in the day" (and probably some of the younger but more conscientious readers of automotive history), that would ALWAYS feel "backward". The ZL1 was always about big torque and brute power first/last/always, while the Z/28 was about having a more even "balance" between adequate high-revving power and the other performance attributes.

Maybe it's the complainers who need to adjust their thinking and get past the dilution of the Z/28 name by its Z28 descendants (not that the Z28s were all that bad for their time).

The name doesn't make it any faster, although it absolutely is a nice move for those who remember the original Trans-Am series to have a completely worthy successor to the name once again. That said, calling this the ZL1 (with that designation's drag racing connotation) would be flat-out wrong.

Ultimately, the important thing is that a street-legal car as single-purpose and as close to affordable as this . . . is even being built. If it's too Spartan for most peoples' usual purposes and preferences, that's not really the car's problem. "Halo cars" aren't necessarily for everybody.

Norm