Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #85
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
We heard the story. Multiple times. The whine fest is getting/ has gotten no where. Move on. I keep seeing this thread revived and dammit I'm ready to buy me a catch can now.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #86
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStoryBro View Post
and dammit I'm ready to buy me a catch can now.
well don't hold your breath because there's no telling when you'll get one from them. lol
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #87
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
So you fine with your intercooler clogged and the rotors n the SC thrown off balance by the deposits taking bearings out?

Below is an intercooler with only 15K miles on it with no catchcan:

And a ZL1 with the RX can installed at new....this is 16K miles:

If your fine with that, then by all means, do not add a can.

Don't take my 1st response wrong; I'm a big fan of your products and bought the RX can from your company before I had the ZL1 delivered!

When it was at Livernois Motorsports for Stage III build they said clearly that they DO NOT recommend ANY catch can for their type builds !

I assume they based upon my requirements for both a DD and use on the drag strip!

I will email Andy @ Livernois for validation of my comments above
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #88
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Why not just buy the Elite ride it for awhile, if the RX is that important to have, get it when it's available, sell the Elite, and be done with it.

Having something now, is better then nothing..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #89
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Don't take my 1st response wrong; I'm a big fan of your products and bought the RX can from your company before I had the ZL1 delivered!

When it was at Livernois Motorsports for Stage III build they said clearly that they DO NOT recommend ANY catch can for their type builds !

I assume they based upon my requirements for both a DD and use on the drag strip!

I will email Andy @ Livernois for validation of my comments above
Why does Livernois recommend no catch can? Just curious.

Tracy, a little constructive criticism from a customer rep manager: there's a time to respond publicly, and a time to just let the issue die out on its own. It seems that when you respond, the pot just gets stirred. I don't have a dog in this fight. This is just a suggestion from an observer.

To further that, the bit above to promote catch cans is in poor taste, in this thread at least. Do what you gotta do to peddle your stuff, but keep in mind that there's a time and a place. This thread provides neither.

Good luck to all of you.

Last edited by strych9; 05-23-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Can't spell :)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #90
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Agreed. I have nothing against the company or Tracy, and I'm not a fan of the OP, as he didn't facilitate Tracy's efforts to help him. Everyone can come to their own conclusions, but i would like to see this thread closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Why does Livernois reccomend no catch can? Just curious.

Tracy, a little constructive criticism from a customer rep manager: there's a time to respond publicly, and a time to just let the issue die out on its own. It seems that when you respond, the pot just gets stirred. I don't have a dog in this fight. This is just a suggestion from an observer.

To further that, the bit above to promote catch cans is in poor taste, in this thread at least. Do what you gotta do to peddle your stuff, but keep in mind that there's a time and a place. This thread provides neither.

Good luck to all of you.

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #91
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Why does Livernois recommend no catch can? Just curious.

Good luck to all of you.
I sent them close to $1000 in products in the past to try, they refused with the comment "oil is good for the supercharger". They were kind enough to return them uninstalled. I respect so much of their abilities in builds, tunes, they have state of the art CNC machines, and one of the cleanest, nicest, biggest shops around....but do not want to discuss the issues the oil ingestion causes. Not sure why, but they are not alone. If your never taught this aspect of crankcase evacuation it is easy to not realize the damage done so I'm not sure why they choose to ignore it, but that is their choice.

The facts are this:

1. Any oil ingestion in the intake air tract will cause detonation and less energy produced per explosive event (you only want air/fuel in the combustion chamber....pour a capful of oil in a saucer and try and light it on fire....it dosent burn well if at all unless under high heat and pressure) so combined with less power and the timing pulled due to detonation that is an immediate negative.

2. The oil residue that bakes on and accumulates on the rotors causes them to be off balance (they are so finely balanced to maintain stability at the rpms they sin even a minute off balance causes vibration and shortens bearing life). There are pictures in GM's TSB's on this as well as all over the internet forums. The bearings are sealed in their own oil bath so there is nothing getting lubricated by the intake charge oil contamination....it only causes harm.

3. The intercooler, as the picture above tells the story, becomes clogged with this baked on residue/varnish from the oil ingestion so 2 things occur. The flow is restricted obstructing the flow through the intercooler as designed when new, and the coating insulates the intercooler from effectively transferring heat as well as it does if it is the bare metal as it comes new. The 15k miles in the picture above I estimate it has already lost 15% plus of its ability to transfer heat and properly cool the intake air charge. A log of IAT'2s will show just how this effects the power produced.

4. The carbon deposits on the piston tops and combustion chambers has a negative effect on the burn pattern and quench area's also resulting in a degradation of power/economy over time.

Those 4 crystal clear points alone should convince even the most unaware why you don't ever want oil contaminating the intake air charge.

Only a two stroke engine is designed to burn oil, and that oil is formulated for a clean deposit free burn.

And yes, the thread has run its course. all parties have had their say.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #92
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Got shipping confirmation on mine today
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #93
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
4. The carbon deposits on the piston tops and combustion chambers has a negative effect on the burn pattern and quench area's also resulting in a degradation of power/economy over time.
Plus, these deposits create hot spots on the piston tops that will cause detonation.

Why in the hell does every single top tier gas have additives in it to "reduce harmful engine deposits" you've all seen the commercials.

This catch can argument is getting silly. Tracy has shown you photographic proof as to why they are beneficial. All we get for counter arguments is "so and so told me I don't need one".

I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. But I'll sit down with any of these so called experts anytime and debate this issue, and shit all over any possible reasons they can come up with.

Your car will not explode without one. but for what it does, it is well worth the money.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #94
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Any recommendations or links where I can order the Elite can from?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #95
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Elite them selves. Awesome can and company. Had me a new lfx mount bracket shipped to me in 2 days and that without me ordering the can from them. It's there product and they stand behind it. Great experience with them.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #96
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
Apex and Maryland Speed has them also.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #97
Bradrulz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
Got mine from JDP Motorsports shipped free and a great price
MRT2.0 with Helmholtz Pipes, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 4-Pack Gauges, Flat Black Stripes, Added Spare Tire Kit, Elite Catch Can, Chrome 20" Wheels, HUD, ABL Doors, GM Dovetail, Matte Black Gills, Rear Fascia Blackout

Closed Thread