Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Anyone give you a hard time for buying American?

I have had it already of people keep discouraging me from buying American! What's up with these people?! When I first bought my 94 Camaro...people gave me crap about buying a used American sports car. They told me it would not go past 180k miles...wooptidoo...I'm at 223k miles and running strong! It don't look pretty now like when I bought it...but it's my baby!

And the word is going around the people I know that I'm waiting for my Camaro...and people are giving me crap again. They tell me American cars are not reliable, the first model is always crap, that I should wait for more options later on, etc.

They tell me to buy a Japanese car instead too...or German.... I know I posted a thread earlier about getting a Subaru...but that would NOT be my car...I only drive American...the wife drives an Accord...but that is HER car.

Now another co-worker this morning brought up the bankrupt GM and how crappy they are now and told me to get a G37 or a Boxster instead...WTF?

And then he changes it to I should enjoy my young life instead of having a car payment and use the $500 I was gonna spend a month to go out and travel...listen here...I got married at 20...if anyone knows anything about not enjoying their 20s it's me...but you know what...I LOVE BEING MARRIED! I don't regret a single bit! And I prefer road trips over flying...so does the wife...what a perfect way to road trip in a 29MPG...300HP sports car!

If I would have said I was gonna get a Toyota Corolla...I bet no one would give me a hard time!

/Rant

I'd like to add that my close friends (the few that I consider REAL friends) and MY parents are excited for me. Everyone else aren't.

...Those are just SOME of the excuses I get from people...

Your stories!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
That's why we need you and everyone else who is buying a new Camaro to show it off to whoever is willing to listen. This is not your old GM vehicle and we need you to prove it. Take this opportunity to be a leader.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
Not as hard a time as I give them for buying import and helping speed our nation down towards disaster.
I hope once they are homeless and cold they enjoy dinner in their, it was assembled here but the profit went overseas but consumer reports said it was a good car, import.

Angrily,
Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
CharlieNubz
Nubz SS/RS

Drives: NADINE 2010 SS/RS 24551
What does it matter what other people think...A guy I work with thinks I am paying to much for my 2SS/RS...then again he probably doesn't understand the American Muscle/Icon this car represents and the power that she has...So to all the "don't buy American....American cars are crap" people...they can go "F" themselves and you can enjoy this sweet ride. It's your money and I would rather drive American. So enjoy this Sweet American Muscle machinery

Keeping the American Revolution Alive...:flag1:
CharlieNubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The lines are fuzzy right now. Cause there are domestic jobs created by imports. In services and sales etc etc. Taxes blah blah.

And not to mention the factories here making all kinds of cars. Like Tacoma (Cali), Tundra (Texas) etc.

And I like imports. Like Mazda for one. If they love the vehicle it shows in the cars. Just listen to GM's own words in the remaking video.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Americans are an amazingly patriotic nation as a whole - but there is some amazing snobbery and anti-American car sentiment that dates back to the 80s I believe
I was pretty suprised when I came over here and bought my Z28 at how many folks asked why I did not buy European or Japanese - and I am already getting silly comments for having put down an order for a camaro.
Net - I really dont care - but I do find it very strange how there is one standard applied to Harley Davidson motorcycles and another to cars. For some reason Harley's are viewed positively even though they dont even quote their horsepower - Marketing is an amazing thing
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
We know who builds the better car. And that's all that matters.

You'll have the last laugh when you drive past their broken-down import on the side of the road.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Nope
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!

Drives: Awesome
American cars are just as reliable as foreign cars. Toyota quality has actually slipped dramatically and aren't God's gift to the automobile world like everyone thinks. I've only ever driven American cars (I'm 27 but have had 7 already) and I only will drive American. If/when I get married...my wife will drive an American car...that is just something I stand firmly on. Car for car...Ford/GM can match Toyota/Honda/Mitsu/Nissan. It kills me when people say foreign cars are better... I never back down and I say where is your proof? What...did you hear you dad talk about the 88 Grand am he had that went to shit after a year? Give me a break. I proudly drive American!
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight_23 View Post
I have had it already of people keep discouraging me from buying American! What's up with these people?! When I first bought my 94 Camaro...people gave me crap about buying a used American sports car. They told me it would not go past 180k miles...wooptidoo...I'm at 223k miles and running strong! It don't look pretty now like when I bought it...but it's my baby!

And the word is going around the people I know that I'm waiting for my Camaro...and people are giving me crap again. They tell me American cars are not reliable, the first model is always crap, that I should wait for more options later on, etc.

They tell me to buy a Japanese car instead too...or German.... I know I posted a thread earlier about getting a Subaru...but that would NOT be my car...I only drive American...the wife drives an Accord...but that is HER car.

Now another co-worker this morning brought up the bankrupt GM and how crappy they are now and told me to get a G37 or a Boxster instead...WTF?

And then he changes it to I should enjoy my young life instead of having a car payment and use the $500 I was gonna spend a month to go out and travel...listen here...I got married at 20...if anyone knows anything about not enjoying their 20s it's me...but you know what...I LOVE BEING MARRIED! I don't regret a single bit! And I prefer road trips over flying...so does the wife...what a perfect way to road trip in a 29MPG...300HP sports car!

If I would have said I was gonna get a Toyota Corolla...I bet no one would give me a hard time!

/Rant

I'd like to add that my close friends (the few that I consider REAL friends) and MY parents are excited for me. Everyone else aren't.

...Those are just SOME of the excuses I get from people...

Your stories!
nope. my pals seem to look up to me and i didnt have to do much converting. of course, there are still a few irate customer friends... ya know, one thing goes wrong and they abandon a brand...

but pretty much we all buy and thirst for american, and now more than ever... WILL CONTINUE!!!!!!!!!!

i own 2 chevys and wish i had 200 more.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
ice2032

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight_23 View Post
I'd give you a hard time if you got a Corolla instead of a Camaro!
ice2032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
They can give you a hard time all they want.

191,875 other people also bought from GM last month.

That's 39,292 more units sold than toyota.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
They can give you a hard time all they want.

191,875 other people also bought from GM last month.

That's 39,292 more units sold than toyota.
Nice!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Actually, just this morning i ran into a co-worker and when i told him that i was gonna get a Camaro, he said, "you know they're going bankrupt right?" dude, just be freakin happy for me!!! so all i replied was "i want a car that was built with tools not chopsticks" (he drives a honda). anyways, my fam is happy for me as well. they ask me what's going on and how much longer they...i mean, i have to wait. my girl, and my buddies are all really excited for me as well.