Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
wutshotDJroomba

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS/SC
IPF start up issue.

have a question for any IPF owners out there, after I fill up my car I go to start it up and it has trouble cranking, is this normal? Or simply a belt issue? I also have a slight squeaking whenever my A/C is kicked on at idle. My belt doesn't appear loose at all. I will post a vid up soon if anyone could attempt to diagnose.
"....Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
-Bruce Lee
wutshotDJroomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
if there was anything on the belt it may make noise, make sure the tensioner is within range too. How long have you been running now, listen to the idler pulleys for noise. If one goes bad, they usually go quick in the beginning.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
wutshotDJroomba

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
if there was anything on the belt it may make noise, make sure the tensioner is within range too. How long have you been running now, listen to the idler pulleys for noise. If one goes bad, they usually go quick in the beginning.
Tomorrow on my lunch break I'll post a video of engine, tensioner, and the belt spinning with the noise, I've had it on my car for about 5 months now, the noise has pretty much been there since the beginning, it only seems to occur when the A/C is switched on, I can stop at a light and I'll hear the squeaking. But if I shift into neutral the noise disappears. strange...
"....Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
-Bruce Lee
wutshotDJroomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
New belt probably cure it. I love my gatorback

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
As far as your start-up issue goes, remember the starter now has to overcome the additional resistance created by your S/C. If you don't turn off the A/C when you shut down, I believe there's even more load imposed.

With in-town driving there's lots of demand on the electrical system at all times: brake lights, A/C, stereo, DRL's on all the time (I've got one of those wiring hoppers let you run with halo's fulltime too!). So it's easy to run the battery down to low-normal. Cranking can get slow.

I make a habit of turning off the A/C before shutting down the engine and occasionally doing a slow charge (2amp) on the battery. A trickle charge will not shorten the life of a battery the way a fast one will, but be prepared for it to take 10-12hrs if you're really down.

The "Battery Voltage" read-out on the dash display is what the alternator is feeding into it to try to keep it healthy. It's not what the batt will read if you check it engine off with a meter. While running mine showed 14.5volts and engine off this morning it's 12.7 on the original battery.

Your belt squeak might be a symptom of even more starter motor work, but make sure the charging system/battery are up to the job too.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I don't know for sure but I would imagine the a/c compressor doesn't kick on until after the engine is actually started. they may even be some kind of built in delay? I know there is a delay before the alternator kicks in after the engine starts.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I'm not sure either, but I have seen people having no luck jump starting car and when you tell'em to turn off the a/c ("turn off all accessories"), it suddenly springs to life.

BTW- my trickle charger goes to "float" mode when the battery reaches just past 13 volts.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I don't know for sure but I would imagine the a/c compressor doesn't kick on until after the engine is actually started. they may even be some kind of built in delay? I know there is a delay before the alternator kicks in after the engine starts.
Same way it cuts off at WOT.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote